* Config portability
@ 2024-02-02 23:13 Jason Carrete
From: Jason Carrete @ 2024-02-02 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc

After creating and saving a configuration with `ct-ng menuconfig`, is
the generated ".config" file portable? By portable, I mean can I copy
the generated config file to a different machine with possibly different
packages installed and build a toolchain all the same?

Thanks,

Jason

* Re: Config portability
@ 2024-02-02 23:43 ` Tommy Murphy
From: Tommy Murphy @ 2024-02-02 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Carrete, crossgcc

Won't the results on different machines (with the same `.config`) depend on the specifics (e.g. versions) of the dependencies installed?

* https://crosstool-ng.github.io/docs/os-setup/

Which is why some sort of "constrained" environment (e.g. VM/container based) may be useful for predictable results?

* Re: Config portability
@ 2024-02-02 23:43 ` Chris Packham
From: Chris Packham @ 2024-02-02 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Carrete; +Cc: crossgcc maillist