public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [RFC] splitting documentation
@ 2016-05-19 21:35 Marco Atzeri
       [not found] ` <c655829d-d520-486f-66f7-a546ea819751@dronecode.org.uk>
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2016-05-19 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

To move the documentation in a noarch package
I split lilypond in two source packages.

http://matzeri.altervista.org/noarch/lilypond-doc/
http://matzeri.altervista.org/x86/lilypond/
http://matzeri.altervista.org/x86_64/lilypond/

The documentation is just a copy of the upstream PDF so :
- the source package is a dummy to avoid data duplication
- the install phase phase grab the files from upstream an put in
the proper directory.

Question:
- How to properly replace the old layout with the
  new in upload ?

I expect that "calm" could complain about:

x86/release/lilypond/lilypond-doc/lilypond-doc-2.19.37-1.tar.xz
noarch/release/lilypond-doc/lilypond-doc-2.19.42-1.tar.xz

Should I move both as :

noarch/release/lilypond-doc/lilypond-doc-2.19.37-1.tar.xz
noarch/release/lilypond-doc/lilypond-doc-2.19.42-1.tar.xz

Regards
Marco

[-- Attachment #2: lilypond-doc.cygport --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1309 bytes --]

# lilypond.cygport
NAME="lilypond-doc"
VERSION=2.19.42
RELEASE=1
ARCH="noarch"
SUMMARY="A typesetting system for music notation (Documentation)"
DESCRIPTION="LilyPond is an automated music engraving system. It formats music beautifully and automatically, and has a friendly syntax for its input files."
CATEGORY="Interpreters"

MAJOR_VERSION="$(echo ${VERSION} | cut -d '.' -f 1)"
MINOR_VERSION="$(echo ${VERSION} | cut -d '.' -f 2)"

# PATCH_URI=""

HOMEPAGE="http://www.lilypond.org/"
SRC_URI="empty.tar.xz"
SRC_DIR="empty"

PKG_NAMES="lilypond-doc"
RESTRICT="diff"

# The main 'lilypond' package contains everything except the PDF
# documentation.

# The 'lilypond-doc' package.
lilypond_doc_CONTENTS="usr/share/doc/lilypond/pdf"
lilypond_doc_SUMMARY="Documentation for LilyPond."
lilypond_doc_DESCRIPTION="${DESCRIPTION} This package contains the documentation for LilyPond."
lilypond_doc_CATEGORY="Doc"

src_compile() {
	:
}

src_install() {
        dodir  /usr/share/doc/lilypond/pdf
	cd ${D}/usr/share/doc/lilypond/pdf
	wget http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/learning.pdf
	wget http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/music-glossary.pdf
	wget http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/essay.pdf
	wget http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/usage.pdf
}

src_test() {
        :

* Re: [RFC] splitting documentation
       [not found] ` <c655829d-d520-486f-66f7-a546ea819751@dronecode.org.uk>
@ 2016-05-20 15:10   ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2016-05-20 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

moving back to apps.

On 20/05/2016 16:41, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 19/05/2016 22:34, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>> To move the documentation in a noarch package
>> I split lilypond in two source packages.
>>
>> http://matzeri.altervista.org/noarch/lilypond-doc/
>> http://matzeri.altervista.org/x86/lilypond/
>> http://matzeri.altervista.org/x86_64/lilypond/
>>
>> The documentation is just a copy of the upstream PDF so :
>> - the source package is a dummy to avoid data duplication
>
> I can see why you want to do this, but I'm not sure it's a good idea.
>
> One reason being, *IF* we were to ever end up in the situation where
> only source packages were uploaded, and some build service constructed
> the binary packages, that builder would not be permitted to download
> arbitrary files.

I see no advantage for a build robot on this issue,
where we are just packing data.

As alternative there is no source package to be built
and we just put together the binary one.

$ cygcheck -l lilypond-doc
/usr/share/doc/lilypond/pdf/essay.pdf
/usr/share/doc/lilypond/pdf/learning.pdf
/usr/share/doc/lilypond/pdf/music-glossary.pdf
/usr/share/doc/lilypond/pdf/usage.pdf

The packages with no source package are currently

R_autorebase          Marco Atzeri
base-cygwin           Corinna Vinschen
chere                 Dave Kilroy
cygcheck-dep          Mikhail Usenko

plus all the
tesseract-ocr-<language> that are mine.

Regards
Marco

@ 2016-05-20 18:21 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2016-05-20 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Marco Atzeri writes:
> To move the documentation in a noarch package
> I split lilypond in two source packages.

I'm not too enamored with this idea… we will eventually end up with the
possibility of having parts of packages noarch and other parts arch-ful.
Trying to preempt that goal by going berserk on package definitions that
are not noarch only seems wrong to me.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [RFC] splitting documentation
@ 2016-05-20 19:47   ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2016-05-20 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 20/05/2016 20:20, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Marco Atzeri writes:
>> To move the documentation in a noarch package
>> I split lilypond in two source packages.
>
> I'm not too enamored with this idea… we will eventually end up with the
> possibility of having parts of packages noarch and other parts arch-ful.
> Trying to preempt that goal by going berserk on package definitions that
> are not noarch only seems wrong to me.
>

> Regards,
> Achim.

In this case is not documentation built from the source,
it is separately downloaded already now, just packaged
together for convenience.
Putting in noarch reduce the duplication.

SRC_URI="http://download.linuxaudio.org/${PN}/sources/v${MAJOR_VERSION}.${MINOR_VERSION}/${P}.tar.gz
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/learning.pdf"

src_install() {
         insinto /usr/share/doc/lilypond/pdf
         doins ${S}/learning.pdf
}

currently there are 4 copies of learning.pdf
  (source + binary) for each arch.

Marco

* Re: [RFC] splitting documentation
@ 2016-05-23 14:00     ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2016-05-23 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 20/05/2016 16:10, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> moving back to apps.

Sorry about that.

I'll get the hang of this email thing eventually.

> The packages with no source package are currently
>
> R_autorebase          Marco Atzeri
> base-cygwin           Corinna Vinschen
> chere                 Dave Kilroy
> cygcheck-dep          Mikhail Usenko

There's gcc4-core and gcc4-g++ as well.

> plus all the
> tesseract-ocr-<language> that are mine.

Yes, I know we currently have a few packages which are hand-made, with
no source, but I don't think we should create any more.

* Re: [RFC] splitting documentation
@ 2016-05-23 14:16       ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2016-05-23 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 23/05/2016 15:59, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 20/05/2016 16:10, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>> moving back to apps.
>
> Sorry about that.
>
> I'll get the hang of this email thing eventually.
>
>> The packages with no source package are currently
>>
>> R_autorebase          Marco Atzeri
>> base-cygwin           Corinna Vinschen
>> chere                 Dave Kilroy
>> cygcheck-dep          Mikhail Usenko
>
> There's gcc4-core and gcc4-g++ as well.

I was not counting the Obsolete ones.

>> plus all the
>> tesseract-ocr-<language> that are mine.
>
> Yes, I know we currently have a few packages which are hand-made, with
> no source, but I don't think we should create any more.

I think we need to differentiate between building from source
and just packing data.
However it is not a urgent discussion except if "calm" rejects a new upload.

Regards
Marco