public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* calm now runs on-demand
@ 2017-04-17 11:34 Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2017-04-17 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

I recently deployed an update to calm which should causes it to run
on-demand after a maintainer SFTP upload.

Hopefully this reduces the inconvenience of having to wait till the next
scheduled run, after an upload is made which fails due to some easily
correctable problem.

calm continues to also run on a schedule at :10 and :40 past the hour,
so it will still note changes which have been made directly on sourceware.

If you have shell access on sourceware, and make such changes, you can
force calm to run with '~cygwin-admin/bin/calm scan-(uploads|relarea)'.

Given that, it probably makes sense to consider reducing the frequency
of scheduled runs.

* Re: calm now runs on-demand
@ 2017-04-18 11:05 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2017-04-18 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Apr 17 12:34, Jon Turney wrote:

> I recently deployed an update to calm which should causes it to run
> on-demand after a maintainer SFTP upload.
>
> Hopefully this reduces the inconvenience of having to wait till the next
> scheduled run, after an upload is made which fails due to some easily
> correctable problem.
>
> calm continues to also run on a schedule at :10 and :40 past the hour, so it
> will still note changes which have been made directly on sourceware.
>
> If you have shell access on sourceware, and make such changes, you can force
> calm to run with '~cygwin-admin/bin/calm scan-(uploads|relarea)'.
>
> Given that, it probably makes sense to consider reducing the frequency of
> scheduled runs.

👍

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: calm now runs on-demand
@ 2017-07-01  5:18 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2017-07-01  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 17/04/2017 13:34, Jon Turney wrote:

> calm continues to also run on a schedule at :10 and :40 past the hour,
> so it will still note changes which have been made directly on sourceware.
>
> If you have shell access on sourceware, and make such changes, you can
> force calm to run with '~cygwin-admin/bin/calm scan-(uploads|relarea)'.

Jon,
I have shell access but I do not find calm anywhere.
I assume "~cygwin-admin" is more restricted than shell access.

As I did change to the relarea for gcc test, how to force the
update of setup.ini's ?

Regards
Marco

* Re: calm now runs on-demand
@ 2017-07-01 11:31   ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2017-07-01 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

> On Apr 17 12:34, Jon Turney wrote:
> >
> > I recently deployed an update to calm which should causes it to run
> > on-demand after a maintainer SFTP upload.
> >
> > Hopefully this reduces the inconvenience of having to wait till the next
> > scheduled run, after an upload is made which fails due to some easily
> > correctable problem.
> >
> > calm continues to also run on a schedule at :10 and :40 past the hour, so it
> > will still note changes which have been made directly on sourceware.
> >
> > If you have shell access on sourceware, and make such changes, you can force
> > calm to run with '~cygwin-admin/bin/calm scan-(uploads|relarea)'.
> >
> > Given that, it probably makes sense to consider reducing the frequency of
> > scheduled runs.

I have upload access, but AFAIK not shell access. I think most maintainers
don't, unless that's changed.

* Re: calm now runs on-demand
@ 2017-07-01 13:54   ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2017-07-01 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps; +Cc: Marco Atzeri

On 01/07/2017 06:18, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 17/04/2017 13:34, Jon Turney wrote:
>>
>> If you have shell access on sourceware, and make such changes, you can
>> force calm to run with '~cygwin-admin/bin/calm scan-(uploads|relarea)'.
>
> Jon,
> I have shell access but I do not find calm anywhere.
> I assume "~cygwin-admin" is more restricted than shell access.
>
> As I did change to the relarea for gcc test, how to force the
> update of setup.ini's ?

I think I have fixed the permissions, so this should work for you now.

Thanks for pointing out this problem.

* Re: calm now runs on-demand
@ 2017-07-01 14:00   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2017-07-01 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Marco Atzeri writes:
> As I did change to the relarea for gcc test, how to force the
> update of setup.ini's ?

I guess you can just open and close an sftp session, maybe providing new
!ready cookies.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: calm now runs on-demand
@ 2017-07-01 14:03     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2017-07-01 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Achim Gratz writes:
> Marco Atzeri writes:
>> As I did change to the relarea for gcc test, how to force the
>> update of setup.ini's ?
>
> I guess you can just open and close an sftp session, maybe providing new
> !ready cookies.

I tried that, but got:

ERROR: not processing uploads or writing setup.ini
SUMMARY: 1 ERROR(s)

Anyway, it looks like Jon is on now, so I assume he'll gets things off
the ground again.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: calm now runs on-demand
@ 2017-07-01 14:04     ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2017-07-01 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 01/07/2017 12:31, Andrew Schulman wrote:
>> On Apr 17 12:34, Jon Turney wrote:
>>>
>>> I recently deployed an update to calm which should causes it to run
>>> on-demand after a maintainer SFTP upload.
>>>
>>> Hopefully this reduces the inconvenience of having to wait till the next
>>> scheduled run, after an upload is made which fails due to some easily
>>> correctable problem.
>>>
>>> calm continues to also run on a schedule at :10 and :40 past the hour, so it
>>> will still note changes which have been made directly on sourceware.
>>>
>>> If you have shell access on sourceware, and make such changes, you can force
>>> calm to run with '~cygwin-admin/bin/calm scan-(uploads|relarea)'.
>>>
>>> Given that, it probably makes sense to consider reducing the frequency of
>>> scheduled runs.
>
> I have upload access, but AFAIK not shell access. I think most maintainers
> don't, unless that's changed.

Correct.  But unless you have shell access to make changes by directly
moving files around on sourceware, you don't need shell access to run calm.

Currently, calm runs (i) if a !ready file exists in your upload area
when your sftp session closes, and (ii) at 00:10 UTC and every 4 hours
thereafter.

* Re: calm now runs on-demand
@ 2017-07-01 14:14     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2017-07-01 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Turney, cygwin-apps

On 01/07/2017 15:54, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 01/07/2017 06:18, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>> On 17/04/2017 13:34, Jon Turney wrote:
>>>
>>> If you have shell access on sourceware, and make such changes, you can
>>> force calm to run with '~cygwin-admin/bin/calm scan-(uploads|relarea)'.
>>
>> Jon,
>> I have shell access but I do not find calm anywhere.
>> I assume "~cygwin-admin" is more restricted than shell access.
>>
>> As I did change to the relarea for gcc test, how to force the
>> update of setup.ini's ?
>
> I think I have fixed the permissions, so this should work for you now.
>
> Thanks for pointing out this problem.

May be I misunderstood how I should use it

matzeri@sourceware ~
$  /home/cygwin/bin/calm scan-relarea
/home/cygwin/bin/calm: line 13: kill: (14958) - Operation not permitted

$  /home/cygwin/bin/calm scan-uploads
/home/cygwin/bin/calm: line 10: kill: (14958) - Operation not permitted

* Re: calm now runs on-demand
@ 2017-07-01 14:16       ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2017-07-01 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 01/07/2017 15:03, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Achim Gratz writes:
>> Marco Atzeri writes:
>>> As I did change to the relarea for gcc test, how to force the
>>> update of setup.ini's ?
>>
>> I guess you can just open and close an sftp session, maybe providing new
>> !ready cookies.

No, this is not enough.  calm doesn't re-read the release area for every
maintainer upload, as this is relatively expensive and usually pointless
(the contents usually haven't changed)

> I tried that, but got:
>
> ERROR: not processing uploads or writing setup.ini
> SUMMARY: 1 ERROR(s)

Heh, not a very helpful error message :(

> Anyway, it looks like Jon is on now, so I assume he'll gets things off
> the ground again.

A setup.ini with gcc test:6.3.0-2 has been generated now and should be
mirroring out.

* Re: calm now runs on-demand
@ 2017-07-01 14:22       ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2017-07-01 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 01/07/2017 15:14, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 01/07/2017 15:54, Jon Turney wrote:

>>> Jon,
>>> I have shell access but I do not find calm anywhere.
>>> I assume "~cygwin-admin" is more restricted than shell access.
>>>
>>> As I did change to the relarea for gcc test, how to force the
>>> update of setup.ini's ?
>>
>> I think I have fixed the permissions, so this should work for you now.
>>
>> Thanks for pointing out this problem.
>
> May be I misunderstood how I should use it
>
> matzeri@sourceware ~
> $  /home/cygwin/bin/calm scan-relarea
> /home/cygwin/bin/calm: line 13: kill: (14958) - Operation not permitted

No, that's me being dumb.  I guess I need to think some more about how
to make this work for other users...

* Re: calm now runs on-demand
@ 2017-07-03 16:05       ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2017-07-03 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

> > I have upload access, but AFAIK not shell access. I think most maintainers
> > don't, unless that's changed.
>
> Correct.  But unless you have shell access to make changes by directly
> moving files around on sourceware, you don't need shell access to run calm.
>
> Currently, calm runs (i) if a !ready file exists in your upload area
> when your sftp session closes, and (ii) at 00:10 UTC and every 4 hours
> thereafter.

Cool, thank you.
Andrew

* Re: calm now runs on-demand
@ 2024-04-01 22:46         ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2024-04-01 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Atzeri; +Cc: cygwin-apps

On 01/07/2017 15:22, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 01/07/2017 15:14, Marco Atzeri wrote:

calm now (finally) detects when changes have been made in the relarea
via inotify, so this manual step is no longer required.

So, if you have shell access, and you make changes directly in the
relarea, calm should now notice, reread it, and update the setup.ini
package manifest automatically, without you needing to explicitly
request that (or wait until the next scheduled rescan, if you can't
request it due to the permission problem identified below...)