public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* mintty should have skipped one version
@ 2018-10-07  3:32 Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2018-10-07  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

I think I uploaded mintty 2.9.3 with a dedicated mintty-2.9.3-0.hint
file with the first two lines
curr: 2.9.3-0
prev: 2.9.1-0

but setup still offers 2.9.2 as a choice. Did I miss the point in the
upload procedure?
Thomas

* Re: mintty should have skipped one version
@ 2018-10-07  3:53 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2018-10-07  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2018-10-06 21:32, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> I think I uploaded mintty 2.9.3 with a dedicated mintty-2.9.3-0.hint file with
> the first two lines
> curr: 2.9.3-0
> prev: 2.9.1-0
> but setup still offers 2.9.2 as a choice. Did I miss the point in the upload
> procedure?
Maybe use override.hint instead as described in:

	https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2018-08/msg00047.html

where replace-versions should reference 2.9.2-?, and should the releases all be
...-0 rather than the standard ...-1?

* Re: mintty should have skipped one version
@ 2018-10-07  9:04 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2018-10-07  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Am 07.10.2018 um 05:32 schrieb Thomas Wolff:
> I think I uploaded mintty 2.9.3 with a dedicated mintty-2.9.3-0.hint
> file with the first two lines
> curr: 2.9.3-0
> prev: 2.9.1-0
>
> but setup still offers 2.9.2 as a choice. Did I miss the point in the
> upload procedure?
> Thomas

In this case I prefer to remove the broken version,
don't forget that setup now is handling more than one previos version
as you can see with the cygwin package.

As mentioned by Brian, can you for the future start with revision "-1" ?
In theory we are using revison 0.x for test version pre-release.
You are one of the few starting with 0

$ cygcheck -cd | grep -- "-0$"
libfakesu                               1.2.0-0
mintty                                  2.9.3-0

---

* Re: mintty should have skipped one version
@ 2018-10-07  9:19   ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2018-10-07  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Brian Inglis wrote:
> Maybe use override.hint instead as described in:
>
> 	https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2018-08/msg00047.html
>
> where replace-versions should reference 2.9.2-?
According to https://cygwin.com/packaging-hint-files.html#override.hint,
it should be "not associated with a specific /version-release/", that's
why I did not consider this for the use case.

Marco wrote:
> In this case I prefer to remove the broken version,
OK, so how would I do that?

> As mentioned by Brian, can you for the future start with revision "-1" ?
> In theory we are using revison 0.x for test version pre-release.
> You are one of the few starting with 0
In contrast to many packages that are adapted from somewhere "upstream",
cygwin is the native development environment for mintty, and is packaged
without patches. I kind of like to express that with the -0.

* Re: mintty should have skipped one version
@ 2018-10-07  9:23     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2018-10-07  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Am 07.10.2018 um 11:19 schrieb Thomas Wolff:

> Marco wrote:
>> In this case I prefer to remove the broken version,
> OK, so how would I do that?

upload empty files

-mintty-2.9.2-0-src.tar.xz
-mintty-2.9.2-0.hint
-mintty-2.9.2-0.tar.xz

to tell "calm" to remove the original one

---

* Re: mintty should have skipped one version
@ 2018-10-07  9:31     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2018-10-07  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Am 07.10.2018 um 11:19 schrieb Thomas Wolff:
> According to https://cygwin.com/packaging-hint-files.html#override.hint,
> it should be "not associated with a specific /version-release/", that's
> why I did not consider this for the use case.

The override.hint is needed to record relations between different
releases and/or to alter (or override) calm's standard interpretation of
the release specific hint files, even retroactively.

--
Achim.

(on the road :-)