public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* nnn
@ 2022-10-09 13:54 Federico Kircheis
From: Federico Kircheis @ 2022-10-09 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hello to everyone,

I would like to package nnn for cygwin

https://github.com/jarun/nnn/

nnn is already packaged and distributed on different systems/distributions:

https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=nnn
https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-misc/nnn
https://software.opensuse.org/package/nnn
https://pkgs.org/download/nnn
https://pkgs.org/search/?q=nnn
https://formulae.brew.sh/formula/nnn
https://www.freshports.org/misc/nnn/

The current release can be downloaded from

https://github.com/jarun/nnn/releases/tag/v4.6

and can be compiled on cygwin without patches.

nnn does not have a "native" Windows port.

.hint and .cygport files are attached

Best regards

Federico

[-- Attachment #2: nnn.hint --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 452 bytes --]

# nnn.hint
sdesc: "nnn is a full-featured terminal file manager. It's tiny, nearly 0-config and incredibly fast."
ldesc: "nnn can analyze disk usage, batch rename, launch apps and pick files. The plugin repository has tons of plugins to extend the capabilities further e.g. live previews, (un)mount disks, find & list, file/dir diff, upload files. A patch framework hosts sizable user-submitted patches which are subjective in nature."
category: Utils

[-- Attachment #3: nnn.cygport --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1003 bytes --]

# nnn.cygport
NAME="nnn"
VERSION=4.6
RELEASE=1
SUMMARY="nnn is a full-featured terminal file manager. It's tiny, nearly 0-config and incredibly fast."
DESCRIPTION="nnn can analyze disk usage, batch rename, launch apps and pick files. The plugin repository has tons of plugins to extend the capabilities further e.g. live previews, (un)mount disks, find & list, file/dir diff, upload files. A patch framework hosts sizable user-submitted patches which are subjective in nature."
CATEGORY="Utils"

HOMEPAGE="https://github.com/jarun/nnn"
LICENSE="BSD-2-Clause"
SRC_URI="https://github.com/jarun/nnn/archive/v${VERSION}.tar.gz"
SRC_DIR="nnn-${VERSION}"

# libxslt libxml2 docbook-xsl docbook-xml42 are for generating the documentation
BUILD_REQUIRES="libncurses-devel libreadline-devel"
REQUIRES="libncursesw10 libreadline7"

PKG_NAMES="nnn"

src_compile() {
	lndirs
	cd ${B}

	cygmake "PREFIX=/usr"
}

src_install() {
	cd ${B}
	cyginstall "PREFIX=/usr"
}

src_test() {
	# There is no test suite yet
	:

* Re: nnn
@ 2022-10-10 13:02 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2022-10-10 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Federico Kircheis, cygwin-apps

On 09/10/2022 14:54, Federico Kircheis wrote:
> Hello to everyone,
>
> I would like to package nnn for cygwin
>
> https://github.com/jarun/nnn/

[...]

A few minor comments on the cygport:

> SUMMARY="nnn is a full-featured terminal file manager. It's tiny, nearly 0-config and incredibly fast."

SUMMARY probably shouldn't start with the name of the package, because
it's often used in contexts where the name of the package appears
immediately before it.

Generally, I think it should be just a noun phrase, not an entire sentence.

I'd suggest just "a full-featured terminal file manager"

> REQUIRES="libncursesw10 libreadline7"

It looks like these dependencies are successfully auto-detected, so you
don't need to explicitly list them.

I added this to your authorized packages.

* Re: nnn
@ 2022-10-13 19:11   ` Federico Kircheis
From: Federico Kircheis @ 2022-10-13 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 10/10/2022 15.02, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 09/10/2022 14:54, Federico Kircheis wrote:
>> Hello to everyone,
>>
>> I would like to package nnn for cygwin
>>
>> https://github.com/jarun/nnn/
>>
> [...]
>
> A few minor comments on the cygport:
>
>> SUMMARY="nnn is a full-featured terminal file manager. It's tiny,
>> nearly 0-config and incredibly fast."
>
> SUMMARY probably shouldn't start with the name of the package, because
> it's often used in contexts where the name of the package appears
> immediately before it.
>
> Generally, I think it should be just a noun phrase, not an entire sentence.
>
> I'd suggest just "a full-featured terminal file manager"
>
>> REQUIRES="libncursesw10 libreadline7"
>
> It looks like these dependencies are successfully auto-detected, so you
> don't need to explicitly list them.

Does cygwin/cygport offer some functionalities for querying those if not
written in the cygport file?

Currently I "parse" the file for creating automatically a test environment.
Removing those means that I am not currently able to recreate such
environment automatically, and would need to track the information
separately.

@ 2022-10-14 16:35     ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2022-10-14 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Federico Kircheis, cygwin-apps

On 13/10/2022 20:11, Federico Kircheis wrote:
> On 10/10/2022 15.02, Jon Turney wrote:
>> On 09/10/2022 14:54, Federico Kircheis wrote:
>>
>>> REQUIRES="libncursesw10 libreadline7"
>>
>> It looks like these dependencies are successfully auto-detected, so
>> you don't need to explicitly list them.
>
> Does cygwin/cygport offer some functionalities for querying those if not
> written in the cygport file?
>
> Currently I "parse" the file for creating automatically a test environment.
> Removing those means that I am not currently able to recreate such
> environment automatically, and would need to track the information
> separately.

That information is written into the requires: line of the generated
.hint (e.g. nnn-4.6-1.x86_64/dist/nnn/nnn-4.6-1.hint)

Ideally we'd have some mode of setup where you could write e.g setup -P
./nnn-4.6-1.tar.xz and it would install that just built package and it's
dependencies, but SHTDI.

(https://cygwin.com/packaging-contributors-guide.html#installing
somewhat discusses this lack...)