public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* mingw64 packages
@ 2020-10-31  9:29 Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2020-10-31  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Since I seem to pick up more of these…  it is silly enough that you have
to have two almost identical cygport files for the two architectures,
but it does not make any sense to me to require these to be standalone
git repositories.  They share the sources and (most) patches with the
Cygwin package of the same name and I don't really intend to track those
changes manually across multiple submodules.  So I'd like to keep these
the same way I have done ZStandard: the Cygwin package and both MingW64
packages in one Git repository.

That of course doesn't work in the CI as Scallywag gets its knickers in
a twist when it sees more than one cygport file in the checkout.  That
looks like something that could hopefully be solved with either a YAML
file or some more smarts on the Scallywag side?

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: mingw64 packages
@ 2020-10-31 19:27 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2020-10-31 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2020-10-31 03:29, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Since I seem to pick up more of these…  it is silly enough that you have
> to have two almost identical cygport files for the two architectures,
> but it does not make any sense to me to require these to be standalone
> git repositories.  They share the sources and (most) patches with the
> Cygwin package of the same name and I don't really intend to track those
> changes manually across multiple submodules.  So I'd like to keep these
> the same way I have done ZStandard: the Cygwin package and both MingW64
> packages in one Git repository.

The different git upstreams are the only reasons we have to keep separate
subdirectories for and copies of each of the mingw64-{x86_64,i686}-PKG files.

> That of course doesn't work in the CI as Scallywag gets its knickers in
> a twist when it sees more than one cygport file in the checkout.  That
> looks like something that could hopefully be solved with either a YAML
> file or some more smarts on the Scallywag side?

We could use one PKG-mingw.cygport and vary the inheritance and packages using a
shell variable e.g.

	$ MINGW_ARCH=... cygport ...

so the CI would always fail until it got smart enough! ;^>

* Re: mingw64 packages
@ 2020-11-02 16:32 ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2020-11-02 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Sat, 2020-10-31 at 10:29 +0100, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Since I seem to pick up more of these…  it is silly enough that you have
> to have two almost identical cygport files for the two architectures,
> but it does not make any sense to me to require these to be standalone
> git repositories.  They share the sources and (most) patches with the
> Cygwin package of the same name and I don't really intend to track those
> changes manually across multiple submodules.  So I'd like to keep these
> the same way I have done ZStandard: the Cygwin package and both MingW64
> packages in one Git repository.
>
> That of course doesn't work in the CI as Scallywag gets its knickers in
> a twist when it sees more than one cygport file in the checkout.  That
> looks like something that could hopefully be solved with either a YAML
> file or some more smarts on the Scallywag side?

I had some work pending in cygport to allow a single .cygport to build
both i686 and x86_64 mingw packages.  That would probably be the best
approach to this.  (Cygwin native and MinGW cross builds are often
different enough that trying to lump them all together is a bit of a
stretch imo.)

--
Yaakov

* Re: mingw64 packages
@ 2020-11-02 20:33   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2020-11-02 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Yaakov Selkowitz writes:
> I had some work pending in cygport to allow a single .cygport to build
> both i686 and x86_64 mingw packages.

That would be most welcome, if you think I could help getting that
released let me know.

> That would probably be the best approach to this.  (Cygwin native and
> MinGW cross builds are often different enough that trying to lump them
> all together is a bit of a stretch imo.)

That's a separate concern and I don't really want or need to go there,
at least not now.  I do want to keep all cygport files that share the
same sources and patches in the same git repository though, but that is
not something that cygport is involved in directly.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld: