public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* Perl 5.22.0
@ 2015-06-01 20:08 Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-06-01 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

The 5.22.0 release of Perl has happened on schedule.  The Cygwin
packages are building at the moment, I will need another day or two for
the distribution rebuilds.

The current plan is that the packages should be available on my server
by the end of the week latest.  Depending on how the rebuilds of the
other packages and distributions depending on the new Perl are
progressing I might release a test version on cygwin.com as well.
Otherwise the first official Cygwin release will be 5.22.1, scheduled
for beginning of July.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Perl 5.22.0
@ 2015-06-02 19:49 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-06-02 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Achim Gratz writes:
> The 5.22.0 release of Perl has happened on schedule.  The Cygwin
> packages are building at the moment, I will need another day or two for
> the distribution rebuilds.

I've patched up the Perl packages to where I want them.  There were some
extra files packaged by accident that shouldn't have been there and a
few things that still have not been upstreamed.

The stage 1 / bootstrap is running for x86_64 and x86 will follow
tomorrow.  I'll probably do a stage 2 build to be sure that I haven't
picked up any RC2 remnants by accident before making the packages
available around the end of the week.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: Perl 5.22.0
@ 2015-06-05  5:26 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-06-05  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

> The current plan is that the packages should be available on my server
> by the end of the week latest.

I've just uploaded the files, please point setup at:

setup-{x86,x86_64}.exe -XOs http://cygwin.stromeko.net/

Please rebuild your Perl distributions again, since officially RCx
releases are not binary compatible with the official ones.

If you've already installed RC2, then you'll have to re-install
everything Perl (setup doesn't recognize 5.22.0-RC2 as being pre-5.22.0
and all distributions that haven't had a version bump in the meantime
still come with the same release number).  Instead of clicking on all
hundreds of selection boxes, you can do this before starting setup:

sed -re 's/(5\.22\.0-)(RC2-)?[0-9]/\10/;s/( perl-.*-)[0-9]+\./\10./' \
 -i.bak /etc/setup/installed.db

This will cause all Perl related stuff to be updated without your manual
intervention.

> Depending on how the rebuilds of the other packages and distributions
> depending on the new Perl are progressing I might release a test
> version on cygwin.com as well.

This has become less likely, given my work schedule.

> Otherwise the first official Cygwin release will be 5.22.1, scheduled
> for beginning of July.

At the moment that is plan A, so everyone has about four weeks to build
for Perl 5.22 using the 5.22.0 "private" release.  No rebuilds of
distributions will be necessary with the 5.22.1 version bump.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Perl 5.22.0
@ 2015-06-30  2:48   ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2015-06-30  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Fri, 2015-06-05 at 07:26 +0200, Achim Gratz wrote:
> If you've already installed RC2, then you'll have to re-install
> everything Perl (setup doesn't recognize 5.22.0-RC2 as being pre-5.22.0
> and all distributions that haven't had a version bump in the meantime
> still come with the same release number).

For future reference, current setup*.exe versions are stricter about
version handling, and therefore IOW 5.22.0-RC2 would have needed to be
versioned as e.g. 5.22.0-0.1.RC2.

--
Yaakov

* Re: Perl 5.22.0
@ 2015-07-14 19:51   ` Achim Gratz
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-07-14 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Achim Gratz writes:
>> Otherwise the first official Cygwin release will be 5.22.1, scheduled
>> for beginning of July.
>
> At the moment that is plan A, so everyone has about four weeks to build
> for Perl 5.22 using the 5.22.0 "private" release.  No rebuilds of
> distributions will be necessary with the 5.22.1 version bump.

It turns out the actual schedule for 5.22.1 is around September and the
original announcement that it would come in about a monthwqas copied
from some older announcement.  :-)

I have rebuilt Perl 5.22.0 and all distributions including some updates
in the last month with the updated toolchain.  I've uploaded the files
to my server if you want to test, please point setup at:

setup-{x86,x86_64}.exe -XOs http://cygwin.stromeko.net/

Again, since the release numbers haven't been bumped, it's easiest to
cheat on setup to get it to re-install everything Perl:

sed -re 's/( perl-.*-)[0-9]+\./\10./' -i.bak /etc/setup/installed.db

Keep in mind I have downgraded perl-Unicode-Normalize to 1.17, so you
need to click on that switch.

As a reminder to the other maintainers, here's the list of packages to
be taken care of for the update again.

The following Perl distributions are in the hands of Yaakov, mainly
because they are related to library or tool packages he owns.

perl-Authen-SASL
perl-Cairo
perl-Cairo-GObject
perl-Glib
perl-Glib-Object-Introspection
perl-Gnome2
perl-Gnome2-Canvas
perl-Gnome2-GConf
perl-Gnome2-Rsvg
perl-Gnome2-VFS
perl-Gnome2-Vte
perl-Gnome2-Wnck
perl-GStreamer
perl-GStreamer-Interfaces
perl-Gtk2
perl-Gtk2-GladeXML
perl-Gtk2-Notify
perl-Gtk2-SourceView2
perl-Gtk2-Spell
perl-Gtk2-Unique
perl-Gtk2-WebKit
perl-Gtk3
perl-MailTools
perl-Net-SMTP-SSL
perl-Pango
perl-PAR-Packer
perl-SGMLSpm
perl-Tk
perl-Tk-Canvas-GradientColor
perl-Tk-ColoredButton
perl-Tk-EntryCheck
perl-Tk-Getopt
perl-Tk-Pod

There are a few Perl distribution packages that are captive in another
source package.  The hopefully complete list of such packages:

perl-Graphics-Magick
perl-gv
perl-Image-Magick
perl-ming
perl-Net-Libproxy
perl-Xfce4-Xfconf
perl-zinnia

This means that again Yaakov as well as Marco and Volker need to
re-release those.  Yaakov has volunteered to update Volker's packages
while he's away, I hope the offer still stands.

These packages place module files into vendor_perl while the package
name has nothing to do with Perl (not all of them are available for both
architectures):

amanda
biber
git-svn
git
irssi
net-snmp-perl
po4a
pristine-tar
sendxmpp
subversion-perl

And lastly, two packages put files in site_perl which should not happen
for official packages, so that should be corrected anyway:

grepmail
stow

The last two sets of packages involve Mark O'Keefe,
Ken Brown, Adam Dinwoodie, Marco, David Rothenberger, Jari Aalto, Andrew
Schulman and Yaakov again.

Since the move of all packages into the release should happen at the
same time, I think we need to do something slightly different this time
around: I propose that instead of posting a !ready cookie a !perl cookie
is used instead (I hopa that would not create problems with upset).
Then a maintainer with full ssh access can flip those cookies over to
!ready between two scans so that all packages get moved at the same
time.  Would that work for everybody?

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Perl 5.22.0
@ 2015-07-14 20:40     ` Marco Atzeri
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2015-07-14 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 7/14/2015 9:51 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Achim Gratz writes:

> There are a few Perl distribution packages that are captive in another
> source package.  The hopefully complete list of such packages:
>
> perl-Graphics-Magick
> perl-gv
> perl-Image-Magick
> perl-ming
> perl-Net-Libproxy
> perl-Xfce4-Xfconf
> perl-zinnia
>
> This means that again Yaakov as well as Marco and Volker need to
> re-release those.  Yaakov has volunteered to update Volker's packages
> while he's away, I hope the offer still stands.

  perl-Graphics-Magick
  perl-Image-Magick

are already available as test

> These packages place module files into vendor_perl while the package
> name has nothing to do with Perl (not all of them are available for both
> architectures):
>
> amanda
> biber
> git-svn
> git
> irssi
> net-snmp-perl
> po4a
> pristine-tar
> sendxmpp
> subversion-perl
>
> And lastly, two packages put files in site_perl which should not happen
> for official packages, so that should be corrected anyway:
>
> grepmail
> stow
>
> The last two sets of packages involve Mark O'Keefe,
> Ken Brown, Adam Dinwoodie, Marco, David Rothenberger, Jari Aalto, Andrew
> Schulman and Yaakov again.
>

> Since the move of all packages into the release should happen at the
> same time, I think we need to do something slightly different this time
> around: I propose that instead of posting a !ready cookie a !perl cookie
> is used instead (I hopa that would not create problems with upset).
> Then a maintainer with full ssh access can flip those cookies over to
> !ready between two scans so that all packages get moved at the same
> time.  Would that work for everybody?

I will prefer to upload as test any perl 5.22 package.
Updating the setup.hint will immediately move all the
packages at the same time.

> Regards,
> Achim.

* Re: Perl 5.22.0
@ 2015-07-14 21:00     ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2015-07-14 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 7/14/2015 3:51 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> These packages place module files into vendor_perl while the package
> name has nothing to do with Perl (not all of them are available for both
> architectures):
>
> biber

This all set and uploaded to my release area.  I'll just have to either change
the setup.hint to make it a test release or else upload a !perl cookie,
depending on how this ends up being handled.

Ken

* Re: Perl 5.22.0
@ 2015-07-15  5:29       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-07-15  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Marco Atzeri writes:
> I will prefer to upload as test any perl 5.22 package.

You can do that.

> Updating the setup.hint will immediately move all the
> packages at the same time.

Then it's this update that needs to be coordinated with the change of
Perl to 5.22.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Perl 5.22.0
@ 2015-07-15  5:35       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-07-15  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Ken Brown writes:
> On 7/14/2015 3:51 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> biber
>
> This all set and uploaded to my release area.

Thanks.  Just to be sure, this build uses the system supplied Unicode
modules or did you fatpack them?  I've downgraded Unicode-Normalize to
1.17 just for Biber, so I'd be a bit bummed if the latter… :-)

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Perl 5.22.0
@ 2015-07-15 12:27         ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2015-07-15 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 7/15/2015 1:34 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Ken Brown writes:
>> On 7/14/2015 3:51 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
>>> biber
>>
>> This all set and uploaded to my release area.
>
> Thanks.  Just to be sure, this build uses the system supplied Unicode
> modules or did you fatpack them?  I've downgraded Unicode-Normalize to
> 1.17 just for Biber, so I'd be a bit bummed if the latter… :-)

I used Unicode-Normalize-1.17 that I had built myself, using the cygport file
attached here:

   https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2015-07/msg00036.html

Ken

* Re: Perl 5.22.0
@ 2015-07-16  4:00       ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2015-07-16  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 7/14/2015 10:40 PM, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 7/14/2015 9:51 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> Achim Gratz writes:
>

>> There are a few Perl distribution packages that are captive in another
>> source package.  The hopefully complete list of such packages:
>>
>> perl-Graphics-Magick
>> perl-gv
>> perl-Image-Magick
>> perl-ming
>> perl-Net-Libproxy
>> perl-Xfce4-Xfconf
>> perl-zinnia
>>
>> This means that again Yaakov as well as Marco and Volker need to
>> re-release those.  Yaakov has volunteered to update Volker's packages
>> while he's away, I hope the offer still stands.
>
>   perl-Graphics-Magick
>   perl-Image-Magick
>
> are already available as test
>
>> These packages place module files into vendor_perl while the package
>> name has nothing to do with Perl (not all of them are available for both
>> architectures):
>>
>> amanda
>> biber
>> git-svn
>> git
>> irssi
>> net-snmp-perl
>> po4a
>> pristine-tar
>> sendxmpp
>> subversion-perl

   irssi
   postgresql-plperl

are also available as test

>> And lastly, two packages put files in site_perl which should not happen
>> for official packages, so that should be corrected anyway:
>>
>> grepmail
>> stow

Regards
MArco

* Re: Perl 5.22.0
@ 2015-07-19 18:55     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-07-19 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Achim Gratz writes:
> I have rebuilt Perl 5.22.0 and all distributions including some updates
> in the last month with the updated toolchain.  I've uploaded the files
> to my server if you want to test, please point setup at:

I've now uploaded everything to the release area as well, so it would be
nice to finally decide how to make the switch.

Here's the list of distribution that would need to be updated in
synchrony and have not been spoken for so far (most of those are from
Yaakov and Volker, whose packages Yaakov has promised to re-release):

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Perl 5.22.0
@ 2015-07-20  7:28       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-07-20  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hi Achim,

On Jul 19 20:55, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Achim Gratz writes:
> > I have rebuilt Perl 5.22.0 and all distributions including some updates
> > in the last month with the updated toolchain.  I've uploaded the files
> > to my server if you want to test, please point setup at:
>
> I've now uploaded everything to the release area as well, so it would be
> nice to finally decide how to make the switch.
>
> Here's the list of distribution that would need to be updated in
> synchrony and have not been spoken for so far (most of those are from
> Yaakov and Volker, whose packages Yaakov has promised to re-release):
> [...]

I'm far from a perl expert, so I'm wondering what about other packages
depending on perl, e.g. openssl-perl?  What constitutes a package which
needs rebuilding?

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: Perl 5.22.0
@ 2015-07-20  9:21         ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2015-07-20  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

> Hi Achim,
>
> On Jul 19 20:55, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> Achim Gratz writes:
>>> I have rebuilt Perl 5.22.0 and all distributions including some updates
>>> in the last month with the updated toolchain.  I've uploaded the files
>>> to my server if you want to test, please point setup at:
>>
>> I've now uploaded everything to the release area as well, so it would be
>> nice to finally decide how to make the switch.
>>
>> Here's the list of distribution that would need to be updated in
>> synchrony and have not been spoken for so far (most of those are from
>> Yaakov and Volker, whose packages Yaakov has promised to re-release):
>> [...]
>
> I'm far from a perl expert, so I'm wondering what about other packages
> depending on perl, e.g. openssl-perl?  What constitutes a package which
> needs rebuilding?
>

> Corinna

I would say

$ ldd irssi.exe  |grep perl
         cygperl5_14.dll => /usr/bin/cygperl5_14.dll (0x4df20000)

Marco

* Re: Perl 5.22.0
@ 2015-07-20  9:43           ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-07-20  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Jul 20 11:21, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> >Hi Achim,

> >>I've now uploaded everything to the release area as well, so it would be
> >>nice to finally decide how to make the switch.
> >>
> >>Here's the list of distribution that would need to be updated in
> >>synchrony and have not been spoken for so far (most of those are from
> >>Yaakov and Volker, whose packages Yaakov has promised to re-release):
> >>[...]
> >
> >I'm far from a perl expert, so I'm wondering what about other packages
> >depending on perl, e.g. openssl-perl?  What constitutes a package which
> >needs rebuilding?
> >

> >Corinna
> >

> I would say
>
> $ ldd irssi.exe  |grep perl
>         cygperl5_14.dll => /usr/bin/cygperl5_14.dll (0x4df20000)

Duh, right.  Packages only using perl via scripting are not affected,
obviously.  I retract the question... :}

Thanks,

@ 2015-07-20 11:58       ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2015-07-20 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 08:55:41PM +0200, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Here's the list of distribution that would need to be updated in
> synchrony and have not been spoken for so far (most of those are from
> Yaakov and Volker, whose packages Yaakov has promised to re-release):
>
> > <snip>
> > git-svn
> > git
> > <snip>

Ack these two.  I should be able to upload a fresh build within the next
few days.

Adam

* Re: Perl 5.22.0
@ 2015-07-20 16:05         ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-07-20 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Corinna Vinschen writes:
> I'm far from a perl expert, so I'm wondering what about other packages
> depending on perl, e.g. openssl-perl?  What constitutes a package which
> needs rebuilding?

Anything that links against cygperl-*.dll or that drops files into
/usr/lib/perl5/{site,vendor}_perl/5.*/ for a value of "*"!="22".

Openssl-perl only provides scripts, so it isn't affected.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Perl 5.22.0
@ 2015-07-20 16:06         ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-07-20 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Adam Dinwoodie writes:
> Ack these two.  I should be able to upload a fresh build within the next
> few days.

Thank you.  I'd really like to get the update done over the upcoming
weekend, if possible.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Perl 5.22.0
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-07-26 13:19     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-07-26 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Achim Gratz writes:
> As a reminder to the other maintainers, here's the list of packages to
> be taken care of for the update again.

Here goes another week without the new Perl getting released for lack of
response from other maintainers.  Since I'll be on a business trip next
week, I'll give you another week to prepare.  My plan now is that I'm
going to release Perl 5.22 at the end of next week if I don't hear from
you.

Regards,
Achim.