public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* Dropping various support in future releases - what about Mingw?
@ 2021-10-31 15:23 Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-10-31 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Perhaps someone could explain why Cygwin maintains, builds, and
distributes Mingw tools and libraries, instead of that being done by the
Mingw project(s) about which I know little?

As we will be dropping Windows versions and 32 bit support in future
releases, should we also be looking at dropping the Mingw packages we
maintain, build, and distribute, but do not appear to use, except for
building other Mingw packages?

Supporting the two Mingw variations on packages sometimes takes as much
work as the Cygwin packages, as parts of the toolchains and libraries
may have different versions and dependencies.

I basically build, check, and distribute those, but know little about
using them to check they work, so no idea whether they work or not.

I have had little success in getting the Mingw dual arch build process
working to any useful extent, and no response to questions about that,
which I may have buried at the end of my other verbiage on this list.

* RE: Dropping various support in future releases - what about Mingw?
@ 2021-10-31 23:06 ` Jason Pyeron
From: Jason Pyeron @ 2021-10-31 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
> Perhaps someone could explain why Cygwin maintains, builds, and
> distributes Mingw tools and libraries, instead of that being done by the
> Mingw project(s) about which I know little?
>
> As we will be dropping Windows versions and 32 bit support in future
> releases, should we also be looking at dropping the Mingw packages we
> maintain, build, and distribute, but do not appear to use, except for
> building other Mingw packages?
>
> Supporting the two Mingw variations on packages sometimes takes as much
> work as the Cygwin packages, as parts of the toolchains and libraries
> may have different versions and dependencies.
>
> I basically build, check, and distribute those, but know little about
> using them to check they work, so no idea whether they work or not.
>
> I have had little success in getting the Mingw dual arch build process
> working to any useful extent, and no response to questions about that,
> which I may have buried at the end of my other verbiage on this list.

Kyle,

Thoughts?

--
Jason Pyeron  | Architect
PD Inc        | Certified SBA 8(a)

.mil: jason.j.pyeron.ctr@mail.mil
.com: jpyeron@pdinc.us
tel : 202-741-9397

* Re: Dropping various support in future releases - what about Mingw?
@ 2021-11-01 16:27 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2021-11-01 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Brian Inglis writes:
> Perhaps someone could explain why Cygwin maintains, builds, and
> distributes Mingw tools and libraries, instead of that being done by
> the Mingw project(s) about which I know little?

MinGW is not a distribution, so there is no such source.

> As we will be dropping Windows versions and 32 bit support in future
> releases, should we also be looking at dropping the Mingw packages we
> maintain, build, and distribute, but do not appear to use, except for
> building other Mingw packages?

In general the MingW packages in Cygwin are used (or were planned to be
used) as dependencies for other stuff that Cygwin builds or uses, like
setup.exe or cross-compilation toolchains.  There are undoubtedly
instances where this is not the case or even never was, but those could
be dropped anytime if it presents too much of a burden.

> Supporting the two Mingw variations on packages sometimes takes as
> much work as the Cygwin packages, as parts of the toolchains and
> libraries may have different versions and dependencies.
>
> I basically build, check, and distribute those, but know little about
> using them to check they work, so no idea whether they work or not.

So?

> I have had little success in getting the Mingw dual arch build process
> working to any useful extent, and no response to questions about that,
> which I may have buried at the end of my other verbiage on this list.

Not sure what you are talking about.  Anything MingW is always cross-compiled,
so if one architecture works, then the other does as well (modulo bugs
and differences in installed packages).

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Dropping various support in future releases - what about Mingw?
@ 2021-11-01 17:33   ` Kyle Marek
From: Kyle Marek @ 2021-11-01 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Pyeron, cygwin-apps

On 10/31/21 7:06 PM, Jason Pyeron wrote:
> [...]

Being a GCC toolchain, MinGW *could* distribute binaries built with
MinGW itself (such that they do not depend in Cygwin or MSYS). However,
MinGW doesn't have a package manager that would allow developers to
easily add development libraries besides the usual msvcrt symbol stubs
and libstdc++ or whatever, so I wouldn't necessarily say that they
*should* distribute binaries themselves.

On the 32-bit support issue: regardless of Cygwin dropping support for
32-bit, and regardless of Cygwin's own use of MinGW to build setup.exe
(as Achim pointed out), MinGW is used as a cross-compiler for developers
to target 32-bit non-Cygwin platforms. There is value in Cygwin being
useful on modern machines as a development environment to target older
platforms, even if Cygwin itself won't run on older platforms. Obviously
this might be a minority use case and Cygwin is a volunteer project, so
it would be understandable if the 32-bit cross compiler packages went
away due to a lack of volunteer interest. I hope this doesn't happen,
because it is not really fun to compile our own cross-compilers.

I am not a Cygwin package maintainer, so I have no opinions regarding
package maintenance.

-                                                               -
- Kyle Marek                        PD Inc. http://www.pdinc.us -
- Jr. Developer                     10 West 24th Street #100    -
- +1 (443) 269-1555 x361            Baltimore, Maryland 21218   -
-                                                               -

* Re: Dropping various support in future releases - what about Mingw?
@ 2021-11-01 18:47   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-11-01 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2021-11-01 10:27, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Brian Inglis writes:
>> Perhaps someone could explain why Cygwin maintains, builds, and
>> distributes Mingw tools and libraries, instead of that being done by
>> the Mingw project(s) about which I know little?
>
> MinGW is not a distribution, so there is no such source.
>
>> As we will be dropping Windows versions and 32 bit support in future
>> releases, should we also be looking at dropping the Mingw packages we
>> maintain, build, and distribute, but do not appear to use, except for
>> building other Mingw packages?
>
> In general the MingW packages in Cygwin are used (or were planned to be
> used) as dependencies for other stuff that Cygwin builds or uses, like
> setup.exe or cross-compilation toolchains.  There are undoubtedly
> instances where this is not the case or even never was, but those could
> be dropped anytime if it presents too much of a burden.

Are they actually being used for anything, in this Cygwin project, or
the associated Mingw or Wine projects, or are they holdovers from some
earlier RedHat project?
They appear to duplicate the Fedora packages, so who is using which
package builds?

>> Supporting the two Mingw variations on packages sometimes takes as
>> much work as the Cygwin packages, as parts of the toolchains and
>> libraries may have different versions and dependencies.
>>
>> I basically build, check, and distribute those, but know little about
>> using them to check they work, so no idea whether they work or not.
>
> So?

I support packages I use, or libraries used by those packages, as I can
dogfood them before release.
I am uncomfortable that I can not do so to test the Mingw devel packages
I upgrade with their Cygwin equivalents, and know so little about their
potential uses.

>> I have had little success in getting the Mingw dual arch build process
>> working to any useful extent, and no response to questions about that,
>> which I may have buried at the end of my other verbiage on this list.
>
> Not sure what you are talking about.  Anything MingW is always cross-compiled,
> so if one architecture works, then the other does as well (modulo bugs
> and differences in installed packages).

I mean the Mingw packages are sufficiently different from the Cygwin
packages that they are effectively another different package, but
requiring two separate cygport files.
I try to maintain all cygport files in sync using gvimdiff to reduce the
maintenance burden and increase similarities and synergies at the cost
of some commenting out and readability.

The inherit mingw cygclass intended to allow Mingw packages to be built
like Cygwin packages using the same cygport for both arches, and not
require two additional cygport files, two git-cygwin-package repos, etc.
It appears to work okay up to the compile but not install, package, etc.
cygport stages.

* Re: Dropping various support in future releases - what about Mingw?
@ 2021-11-01 19:33     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2021-11-01 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Brian Inglis writes:
> Are they actually being used for anything, in this Cygwin project, or
> the associated Mingw or Wine projects, or are they holdovers from some
> earlier RedHat project?

It would help if you asked questions that are answerable.  I have no
idea what you refer to as "they" above.  As said before, there are
examples for everything; looking at a few of my own packages: GMP, MPFR
and ISL are needed for the MingW cross-compilation toolchain, ZStd for
setup, cfitsio I have no idea.

> They appear to duplicate the Fedora packages, so who is using which
> package builds?

For a start, have a look which packages require mingw64-* packages.  If
you want to drop a package that seems to be unused, just say so and if
it's still needed you will likely hear who is that customer.

> I support packages I use, or libraries used by those packages, as I
> can dogfood them before release.
> I am uncomfortable that I can not do so to test the Mingw devel
> packages I upgrade with their Cygwin equivalents, and know so little
> about their potential uses.

You will never be able to fully vet each package if it has any
complexity, so you either get comforatble with the fact that often the
actual users will have more insight than you or (again) drop
maintenance.

> I mean the Mingw packages are sufficiently different from the Cygwin
> packages that they are effectively another different package, but
> requiring two separate cygport files.

I think of the two cygport files as a wart and the separate Git archives is
another one even though Jon insists we need to keep it.

> The inherit mingw cygclass intended to allow Mingw packages to be
> built like Cygwin packages using the same cygport for both arches, and
> not require two additional cygport files, two git-cygwin-package
> repos, etc.
> It appears to work okay up to the compile but not install, package,
> etc. cygport stages.

I've never started to use this cygclass as it seemed incomplete when it
was introduced, so I can't comment.

Regards,
Achim.

DIY Stuff: