public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* github scallywag cygport src_patch_apply_hook and autoconf2.7 install issues
@ 2024-01-06 20:10 Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2024-01-06 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Updating gsasl to 2.2.1 local package build runs fine, but github scallywag now
fails in two places:

- cygport src_prep src_patch_apply_hook now fails to find patch file passed as $1:
```
 >>> Preparing gsasl-2.2.1-1.x86_64
 >>> Unpacking source gsasl-2.2.1.tar.gz
patch -b /usr/share/gtk-doc/data/gtk-doc.flat.make
gsasl-2-gtk-doc-make-pdf-imgdir.patch
patch: **** Can't open patch file gsasl-2-gtk-doc-make-pdf-imgdir.patch : No
such file or directory
patch -b /usr/share/gtk-doc/data/gtk-doc.make gsasl-2-gtk-doc-make-pdf-imgdir.patch
patch: **** Can't open patch file gsasl-2-gtk-doc-make-pdf-imgdir.patch : No
such file or directory
patch -b /usr/share/gtk-doc/data/gtk-doc.no-xslt-flat.make
gsasl-2-gtk-doc-make-pdf-imgdir.patch
patch: **** Can't open patch file gsasl-2-gtk-doc-make-pdf-imgdir.patch : No
such file or directory
patch -b /usr/share/gtk-doc/data/gtk-doc.no-xslt.make
gsasl-2-gtk-doc-make-pdf-imgdir.patch
patch: **** Can't open patch file gsasl-2-gtk-doc-make-pdf-imgdir.patch : No
such file or directory
*** Warning: patch gsasl-2-gtk-doc-make-pdf-imgdir.patch skipped by
src_patch_apply_hook
 >>> Preparing working source directory
```

- autoconf2.7 is not found, although it is in cygport dependencies, installed in
step 4 cygwin install action, with 42 dependencies expanded to 232 install
tasks, and package BUILD_REQUIRES, with 29 dependencies expanded to 259 install
tasks, excluding autoconf, but build fails:
```
 >>> Compiling gsasl-2.2.1-1.x86_64
*** ERROR: autoconf2.7 is required to build this package
```

Cygport and patch in:
https://cygwin.com/cgit/cygwin-packages/gsasl/tree/

Job log at:
https://github.com/cygwin/scallywag/actions/runs/7433276878/job/20226196620

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

* Re: github scallywag cygport src_patch_apply_hook and autoconf2.7 install issues
@ 2024-01-06 21:16 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2024-01-06 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Inglis; +Cc: cygwin-apps

On 06/01/2024 20:10, Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> Updating gsasl to 2.2.1 local package build runs fine, but github
> scallywag now fails in two places:
>
> - cygport src_prep src_patch_apply_hook now fails to find patch file
> passed as $1:

I've looked at the cygport, but what you're doing here is very confusing.

Even with the poor state of the documentation for that hook [1], the
fact that this hook doesn't take any care over the result it returns is
a red flag.

[1]
https://cygwin.github.io/cygport/src_prep_cygpart.html#src_patch_apply_hook

(So it seems like maybe it should 'patch || error', and then return 0)

It seems like this cygport is written making some assumption about the
current directory when this hook is run, that it's the top-level
directory containing the patch files.

I could understand that's maybe been accidentally changed from a
previous version with some other change to cygport, but I don't quite
understand how that can be true locally.

However, it's certainly not guaranteed, because this hook was not
designed for you to do your own patch application like this in.

All that said: If you write '${top}/$1' it works for me, but you
absolutely shouldn't be relying on undocumented cygport internals like
that...

> ```
>  >>> Preparing gsasl-2.2.1-1.x86_64
>  >>> Unpacking source gsasl-2.2.1.tar.gz
> patch -b /usr/share/gtk-doc/data/gtk-doc.flat.make
> gsasl-2-gtk-doc-make-pdf-imgdir.patch
> patch: **** Can't open patch file gsasl-2-gtk-doc-make-pdf-imgdir.patch
> : No such file or directory
> patch -b /usr/share/gtk-doc/data/gtk-doc.make
> gsasl-2-gtk-doc-make-pdf-imgdir.patch
> patch: **** Can't open patch file gsasl-2-gtk-doc-make-pdf-imgdir.patch
> : No such file or directory
> patch -b /usr/share/gtk-doc/data/gtk-doc.no-xslt-flat.make
> gsasl-2-gtk-doc-make-pdf-imgdir.patch
> patch: **** Can't open patch file gsasl-2-gtk-doc-make-pdf-imgdir.patch
> : No such file or directory
> patch -b /usr/share/gtk-doc/data/gtk-doc.no-xslt.make
> gsasl-2-gtk-doc-make-pdf-imgdir.patch
> patch: **** Can't open patch file gsasl-2-gtk-doc-make-pdf-imgdir.patch
> : No such file or directory
> *** Warning: patch gsasl-2-gtk-doc-make-pdf-imgdir.patch skipped by
> src_patch_apply_hook
>  >>> Preparing working source directory
> ```
>
> - autoconf2.7 is not found, although it is in cygport dependencies,
> installed in step 4 cygwin install action, with 42 dependencies expanded
> to 232 install tasks, and package BUILD_REQUIRES, with 29 dependencies
> expanded to 259 install tasks, excluding autoconf, but build fails:
> ```
>  >>> Compiling gsasl-2.2.1-1.x86_64
> *** ERROR: autoconf2.7 is required to build this package
> ```

This seems to be some breakage from today's update to autoconf 2.72.

Top Men, working on, etc.

* Re: github scallywag cygport src_patch_apply_hook and autoconf2.7 install issues
@ 2024-01-06 22:15   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2024-01-06 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2024-01-06 14:16, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 06/01/2024 20:10, Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> Updating gsasl to 2.2.1 local package build runs fine, but github scallywag
>> now fails in two places:
>>
>> - cygport src_prep src_patch_apply_hook now fails to find patch file passed as
>> $1:

> I've looked at the cygport, but what you're doing here is very confusing.
>
> Even with the poor state of the documentation for that hook [1], the fact that
> this hook doesn't take any care over the result it returns is a red flag.
>
> [1] https://cygwin.github.io/cygport/src_prep_cygpart.html#src_patch_apply_hook
>
> (So it seems like maybe it should 'patch || error', and then return 0)
>
> It seems like this cygport is written making some assumption about the current
> directory when this hook is run, that it's the top-level directory containing
> the patch files.
>
> I could understand that's maybe been accidentally changed from a previous
> version with some other change to cygport, but I don't quite understand how that
> can be true locally.
>
> However, it's certainly not guaranteed, because this hook was not designed for
> you to do your own patch application like this in.
>
> All that said: If you write '${top}/$1' it works for me, but you absolutely
> shouldn't be relying on undocumented cygport internals like that...

Thanks Jon,

The issues with using these hooks is a given!

I will try that path in the cygport hook, locally and in scallywag.

Is there some other way in which I could structure the patch to apply to the out
of tree installed gtk-doc makefiles prior to the build without using the hook?

The issue with gtk-doc failing this build was discussed when found, in -apps
2022-09-29/30, and applying the patch to its makefiles seemed to be the best way
to handle it at the time.

I submitted gsasl and gtk-doc patches upstream at the time but had more check
FAILs than PASSes after updating gtk-doc.

>> ```
>>  >>> Preparing gsasl-2.2.1-1.x86_64
>>  >>> Unpacking source gsasl-2.2.1.tar.gz
>> patch -b /usr/share/gtk-doc/data/gtk-doc.flat.make
>> gsasl-2-gtk-doc-make-pdf-imgdir.patch
>> patch: **** Can't open patch file gsasl-2-gtk-doc-make-pdf-imgdir.patch : No
>> such file or directory
>> patch -b /usr/share/gtk-doc/data/gtk-doc.make
>> gsasl-2-gtk-doc-make-pdf-imgdir.patch
>> patch: **** Can't open patch file gsasl-2-gtk-doc-make-pdf-imgdir.patch : No
>> such file or directory
>> patch -b /usr/share/gtk-doc/data/gtk-doc.no-xslt-flat.make
>> gsasl-2-gtk-doc-make-pdf-imgdir.patch
>> patch: **** Can't open patch file gsasl-2-gtk-doc-make-pdf-imgdir.patch : No
>> such file or directory
>> patch -b /usr/share/gtk-doc/data/gtk-doc.no-xslt.make
>> gsasl-2-gtk-doc-make-pdf-imgdir.patch
>> patch: **** Can't open patch file gsasl-2-gtk-doc-make-pdf-imgdir.patch : No
>> such file or directory
>> *** Warning: patch gsasl-2-gtk-doc-make-pdf-imgdir.patch skipped by
>> src_patch_apply_hook
>>  >>> Preparing working source directory
>> ```
>>
>> - autoconf2.7 is not found, although it is in cygport dependencies, installed
>> in step 4 cygwin install action, with 42 dependencies expanded to 232 install
>> tasks, and package BUILD_REQUIRES, with 29 dependencies expanded to 259
>> install tasks, excluding autoconf, but build fails:
>> ```
>>  >>> Compiling gsasl-2.2.1-1.x86_64
>> *** ERROR: autoconf2.7 is required to build this package
>> ```

> This seems to be some breakage from today's update to autoconf 2.72.
>
> Top Men, working on, etc.

Thanks, I just noticed the release and wrapper update announcements.

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry