public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* gcc4: Time to drop gcc3 from the distro?
@ 2011-09-02 18:41 Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2011-09-02 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

As the subject says, shouldn't we remove gcc3 from the distro finally?
We have 3 mingw compilers and gcc4 for Cygwin.  What reason is left
to stick to gcc 3?

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: gcc4: Time to drop gcc3 from the distro?
@ 2011-09-02 21:15 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2011-09-02 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 02/09/2011 19:40, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> As the subject says, shouldn't we remove gcc3 from the distro finally?
> We have 3 mingw compilers and gcc4 for Cygwin.  What reason is left
> to stick to gcc 3?

  Well, it's the only support we have for Pascal and D.  Someone might still
be using them.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: gcc4: Time to drop gcc3 from the distro?
@ 2011-09-03  8:43   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2011-09-03  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Sep  2 22:15, Dave Korn wrote:
> On 02/09/2011 19:40, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > As the subject says, shouldn't we remove gcc3 from the distro finally?
> > We have 3 mingw compilers and gcc4 for Cygwin.  What reason is left
> > to stick to gcc 3?
>
>   Well, it's the only support we have for Pascal and D.

Hmm.  And I don't see a Modula-2 compiler in gcc4 either.  All of them
exist as gcc frontends.  I guess it's just lack of maintainers for
these packages which keeps them from being in the distro?

@ 2011-09-03 13:43     ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2011-09-03 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 03/09/2011 09:42, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Sep  2 22:15, Dave Korn wrote:
>> On 02/09/2011 19:40, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>> As the subject says, shouldn't we remove gcc3 from the distro finally?
>>> We have 3 mingw compilers and gcc4 for Cygwin.  What reason is left
>>> to stick to gcc 3?
>>   Well, it's the only support we have for Pascal and D.
>
> Hmm.  And I don't see a Modula-2 compiler in gcc4 either.  All of them
> exist as gcc frontends.  I guess it's just lack of maintainers for
> these packages which keeps them from being in the distro?

  No, it's lack of upstream development.  GM2 and GPC appear to have been
utterly dormant projects for quite some years now and won't build against
recent GCC versions (GM2 works up to GCC-4.1.2, GPC up to some random date in
early 2006).  It takes a good deal of effort to keep a front-end up-to-date
against mainline GCC development and they clearly just haven't had the
manpower.  That's why I had to stop packaging them in gcc4 releases.  We've
got the 3.4 releases, it didn't seem worthwhile making a special separate
release just for the 3.4->4.1 change in the only one of the three languages
that could be updated at all at the time.

  On the other hand I just found that D development has been resumed and it's
been brought up to date with everything including gcc 4.6 series, so I plan to
bring that back in the next gcc4 release :)

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: gcc4: Time to drop gcc3 from the distro?
@ 2011-09-07  2:06 ` Yaakov (Cygwin/X)
From: Yaakov (Cygwin/X) @ 2011-09-07  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Fri, 2011-09-02 at 20:40 +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> As the subject says, shouldn't we remove gcc3 from the distro finally?
> We have 3 mingw compilers and gcc4 for Cygwin.  What reason is left
> to stick to gcc 3?

Based on Dave's response, only GDC.  Therefore, I would say that once
he's ready to ship a GDC-enabled gcc-4.5+, then gcc3 can and should go,
at which point gcc4 can become gcc and the -4 suffixes can be dropped.

Yaakov

* Re: gcc4: Time to drop gcc3 from the distro?
@ 2011-09-08 13:59   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2011-09-08 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Sep  6 21:06, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-09-02 at 20:40 +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > As the subject says, shouldn't we remove gcc3 from the distro finally?
> > We have 3 mingw compilers and gcc4 for Cygwin.  What reason is left
> > to stick to gcc 3?
>
> Based on Dave's response, only GDC.  Therefore, I would say that once
> he's ready to ship a GDC-enabled gcc-4.5+, then gcc3 can and should go,
> at which point gcc4 can become gcc and the -4 suffixes can be dropped.

Sounds right to me.  It's a pity that we don't have another good
replacement for Pascal(*) and Modula-2(**), but that doesn't mean we
have t ostick to gcc3 endlessly.

Corinna

(*)  Porting FreePascal, anybody?
(**) ???

@ 2011-09-08 16:50     ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2011-09-08 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

> Sounds right to me.  It's a pity that we don't have another good
> replacement for Pascal(*) and Modula-2(**), but that doesn't mean we
> have t ostick to gcc3 endlessly.

Pascal?  Oh yes, I remember that.  I used it in a one-semester introductory programming class, in 1983.  Probably still have my book (Oh! Pascal!) around here someplace...

* Re: gcc4: Time to drop gcc3 from the distro?
@ 2011-09-10 10:12     ` Reini Urban
From: Reini Urban @ 2011-09-10 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

2011/9/8 Corinna Vinschen:
> Sounds right to me.  It's a pity that we don't have another good
> replacement for Pascal(*) and Modula-2(**), but that doesn't mean we
> have t ostick to gcc3 endlessly.

> Corinna
>
> (*)  Porting FreePascal, anybody?
> (**) ???

Some time ago I looked into fixing/creating the Modula-2, Haskell and
Go ports for cygwin, and it seemed pretty hard to do.
--
Reini