public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
From: Jon Turney <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk>
To: Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de>,
	"cygwin-apps@cygwin.com" <cygwin-apps@cygwin.com>
Subject: Re: [Bug] setup regression #2
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 17:16:35 +0000	[thread overview]

On 13/11/2022 12:47, Achim Gratz wrote:
> The problem is actually a more knotty than you seem to think:
> prominently ca-certificates and man-db get their knickers in a twist
> when the group during post-install is different from the group of the
> installed files and I suspect some other packages will run into similar
> problems depending on how fussy they are with the group permissions.

I take it seriously, otherwise I would have just released a setup with
those changes.

I've reverted them for the moment, since I want to do a setup release
now for other reasons.

Taking a step back:

I believe that the intent of the code in setup is that there should only
be two modes:

USER: install "for me", with the users primary group
SYSTEM: install "for everyone", with the administrators primary group
(only permitted if you are an administrator)

But in fact, this got broken this long ago, so we do something slightly
different (Please take a look at the discussion around [1]).

If the intention isn't adequate, can you describe what is needed?

[1] https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-apps/2022-July/042144.html