public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* lost announcements
@ 2011-10-24 20:16 Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2011-10-24 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

This morning I sent 4 package update announcements to cygwin-announce.  Two of
them (socat, lftp) were posted, but the other two (stunnel, sng) haven't shown
up yet.  Meanwhile, other later announcements have been posted.

Are the missing messages held up in the queue?  Anything I need to do about
that?  Or, should I resend them?

Thanks,
Andrew.

* Re: lost announcements
@ 2011-10-24 20:34 ` David Sastre
From: David Sastre @ 2011-10-24 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 04:16:18PM -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> This morning I sent 4 package update announcements to cygwin-announce.  Two of
> them (socat, lftp) were posted, but the other two (stunnel, sng) haven't shown
> up yet.  Meanwhile, other later announcements have been posted.
>
> Are the missing messages held up in the queue?  Anything I need to do about
> that?  Or, should I resend them?
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew.

I have received them, and they both show in the web:

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2011-10/msg00036.html
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2011-10/msg00035.html

--
Huella de clave primaria: AD8F BDC0 5A2C FD5F A179  60E7 F79B AB04 5299 EC56

* Re: lost announcements
@ 2011-10-24 21:21   ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2011-10-24 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 04:16:18PM -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> > This morning I sent 4 package update announcements to cygwin-announce.  Two of
> > them (socat, lftp) were posted, but the other two (stunnel, sng) haven't shown
> > up yet.  Meanwhile, other later announcements have been posted.
> >
> > Are the missing messages held up in the queue?  Anything I need to do about
> > that?  Or, should I resend them?
>
> I have received them, and they both show in the web:
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2011-10/msg00036.html
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2011-10/msg00035.html

Hm, you're right.  But the odd thing is that they weren't posted to the cygwin
list, which is where I read them:  http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-10/.

Any idea why?

Thanks,
Andrew.

* Re: lost announcements
@ 2011-10-24 21:31     ` David Sastre
From: David Sastre @ 2011-10-24 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 05:20:52PM -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 04:16:18PM -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> > > This morning I sent 4 package update announcements to cygwin-announce.  Two of
> > > them (socat, lftp) were posted, but the other two (stunnel, sng) haven't shown
> > > up yet.  Meanwhile, other later announcements have been posted.
> > >
> > > Are the missing messages held up in the queue?  Anything I need to do about
> > > that?  Or, should I resend them?
> >
> > I have received them, and they both show in the web:
> >
> > http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2011-10/msg00036.html
> > http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2011-10/msg00035.html
>
> Hm, you're right.  But the odd thing is that they weren't posted to the cygwin
> list, which is where I read them:  http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-10/.
>
> Any idea why?

Nope. And I'm afraid I can't help there.

--

@ 2011-10-24 23:48     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2011-10-24 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 05:20:52PM -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 04:16:18PM -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
>> > This morning I sent 4 package update announcements to cygwin-announce.  Two of
>> > them (socat, lftp) were posted, but the other two (stunnel, sng) haven't shown
>> > up yet.  Meanwhile, other later announcements have been posted.
>> >
>> > Are the missing messages held up in the queue?  Anything I need to do about
>> > that?  Or, should I resend them?
>>
>> I have received them, and they both show in the web:
>>
>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2011-10/msg00036.html
>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2011-10/msg00035.html
>
>Hm, you're right.  But the odd thing is that they weren't posted to the cygwin
>list, which is where I read them:  http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-10/.
>
>Any idea why?

Embedded email address.

cgf

* Re: lost announcements
@ 2011-10-25 13:17       ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2011-10-25 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

> >Hm, you're right.  But the odd thing is that they weren't posted to the cygwin
> >list, which is where I read them:  http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-10/.
> >
> >Any idea why?
>
> Embedded email address.

Could you please be more specific?  I've compared the 4 announcements, and I
can't see any relevant difference between them.  The only email addresses I can
see in the announcements for sng and stunnel are the To and From addresses,
which are of course present in every announcement.  There's also the unsubscribe
address, which is generic and appears in the boilerplate of every announcement.

I don't really care - just doing my maintainer duty.  But if there's something
I'm doing wrong I may as well know about it.

Thanks,
Andrew.

* Re: lost announcements
@ 2011-10-25 15:19         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2011-10-25 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 09:17:40AM -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
>> >Hm, you're right.  But the odd thing is that they weren't posted to the cygwin
>> >list, which is where I read them:  http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-10/.
>> >
>> >Any idea why?
>>
>> Embedded email address.
>
>Could you please be more specific?  I've compared the 4 announcements, and I
>can't see any relevant difference between them.  The only email addresses I can
>see in the announcements for sng and stunnel are the To and From addresses,
>which are of course present in every announcement.  There's also the unsubscribe
>address, which is generic and appears in the boilerplate of every announcement.

People have been removing the unsubscribe email address from their
announcements.  Your announcements seem to contain extra MIME characters
which sometimes confuse the "raw email in body of message" check and
allow the message to sneak through.

* Re: lost announcements
@ 2011-10-26  6:27           ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2011-10-26  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

> >> Embedded email address.
> >
> >Could you please be more specific?  I've compared the 4 announcements, and I
> >can't see any relevant difference between them.  The only email addresses I can
> >see in the announcements for sng and stunnel are the To and From addresses,
> >which are of course present in every announcement.  There's also the unsubscribe
> >address, which is generic and appears in the boilerplate of every announcement.
>
> People have been removing the unsubscribe email address from their
> announcements.  Your announcements seem to contain extra MIME characters
> which sometimes confuse the "raw email in body of message" check and
> allow the message to sneak through.

Thanks.  I think I see what you're talking about, although I have no idea
why they're there.  Extra spaces that got converted for some reason I
guess.

So are you saying that the text we're supposed to add at the bottom of our
announcements has changed?  If so, can we please update the example at
http://cygwin.com/setup.html#announcement, and notify this list?

Andrew.

* Re: lost announcements
@ 2011-10-26  7:25             ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2011-10-26  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Oct 26 02:27, Andrew Schulman wrote:

> > >Could you please be more specific?  I've compared the 4 announcements, and I
> > >can't see any relevant difference between them.  The only email addresses I can
> > >see in the announcements for sng and stunnel are the To and From addresses,
> > >which are of course present in every announcement.  There's also the unsubscribe
> > >address, which is generic and appears in the boilerplate of every announcement.
> >
> > People have been removing the unsubscribe email address from their
> > announcements.  Your announcements seem to contain extra MIME characters
> > which sometimes confuse the "raw email in body of message" check and
> > allow the message to sneak through.
>
> Thanks.  I think I see what you're talking about, although I have no idea
> why they're there.  Extra spaces that got converted for some reason I
> guess.
>
> So are you saying that the text we're supposed to add at the bottom of our
> announcements has changed?  If so, can we please update the example at
> http://cygwin.com/setup.html#announcement, and notify this list?

I just replace the @ with an " <at> " string on setup.html.

I'm wondering if the raw mail address filter isn't a bit overagressive.
Am I mistaken or has the traffic on the cygwin ML gone down a lot lately?

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: lost announcements
@ 2011-10-26 13:55               ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2011-10-26 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 09:24:22AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>I'm wondering if the raw mail address filter isn't a bit overagressive.
>Am I mistaken or has the traffic on the cygwin ML gone down a lot
>lately?

I thought it was obvious that I spend some time every day dealing with
spam, bounced email, and other irritating sysadmin activities on
sourceware.  There are a lot of vain attempts to send html based email
and email with raw email addresses to the cygwin list but most of them
eventually result in either 1) a "why is your system so mean to me???"
message to postmaster or 2) email to the cygwin list.  The end result of
1) is usually correctly formatted email to the cygwin list.

In any event, this is not really a subject for this list.  You could
send email to postmaster if you have concerns but I'm pretty sure he
will tell you the same thing.

cgf