public inbox for cygwin-developers@cygwin.com
* Re: MC no longer working with cygwin 3.1.x
       [not found]           ` <20191219092409.GS10310@calimero.vinschen.de>
@ 2019-12-21 15:48             ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2019-12-21 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-devel

[Moving from cygwin to cygwin-developers.]

Hi Corinna,

> Ken, btw., we should add a PIPE_REJECT_REMOTE_CLIENTS flag, just for
> paranoia.

Should this be FILE_PIPE_REJECT_REMOTE_CLIENTS?  It seems that most of the flags
for NtCreateNamedPipeFile start with "FILE_".

And which argument of NtCreateNamedPipeFile should that flag be in?  None of
them seem quite right to me.  Or is there some other function that should be
called after NtCreateNamedPipeFile to set that flag?

Last question: The only documentation I found for NtCreateNamedPipeFile is here:

http://undocumented.ntinternals.net/index.html?page=UserMode%2FUndocumented%20Functions%2FNT%20Objects%2FFile%2FNtCreateFile.html

Is there anything better?

Thanks.

Ken

* Re: MC no longer working with cygwin 3.1.x
@ 2019-12-21 19:26               ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2019-12-21 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

Hi Ken,

On Dec 21 15:48, Ken Brown wrote:
> [Moving from cygwin to cygwin-developers.]
>
> Hi Corinna,

> > Ken, btw., we should add a PIPE_REJECT_REMOTE_CLIENTS flag, just for
> > paranoia.
>
> Should this be FILE_PIPE_REJECT_REMOTE_CLIENTS?  It seems that most of the flags
> for NtCreateNamedPipeFile start with "FILE_".

Right, it's FILE_PIPE_REJECT_REMOTE_CLIENTS, sorry about that.

> And which argument of NtCreateNamedPipeFile should that flag be in?  None of
> them seem quite right to me.  Or is there some other function that should be
> called after NtCreateNamedPipeFile to set that flag?

AFAICS it's a flag added to the message type, i.e.

  FILE_PIPE_MESSAGE_TYPE | FILE_PIPE_REJECT_REMOTE_CLIENTS

> Last question: The only documentation I found for NtCreateNamedPipeFile is here:
>
> http://undocumented.ntinternals.net/index.html?page=UserMode%2FUndocumented%20Functions%2FNT%20Objects%2FFile%2FNtCreateFile.html
>
> Is there anything better?

Not that I'm aware of.   There's only this and the Reactos source.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Maintainer

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: MC no longer working with cygwin 3.1.x
@ 2019-12-21 21:18                 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2019-12-21 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

> Hi Ken,
>
> On Dec 21 15:48, Ken Brown wrote:
>> [Moving from cygwin to cygwin-developers.]
>>
>> Hi Corinna,
>>
>> On 12/19/2019 4:24 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>> Ken, btw., we should add a PIPE_REJECT_REMOTE_CLIENTS flag, just for
>>> paranoia.
>>
>> Should this be FILE_PIPE_REJECT_REMOTE_CLIENTS?  It seems that most of the flags
>> for NtCreateNamedPipeFile start with "FILE_".
>
> Right, it's FILE_PIPE_REJECT_REMOTE_CLIENTS, sorry about that.
>
>> And which argument of NtCreateNamedPipeFile should that flag be in?  None of
>> them seem quite right to me.  Or is there some other function that should be
>> called after NtCreateNamedPipeFile to set that flag?
>
> AFAICS it's a flag added to the message type, i.e.
>
>    FILE_PIPE_MESSAGE_TYPE | FILE_PIPE_REJECT_REMOTE_CLIENTS

OK, I'll give that a try.  I wouldn't have guessed that from the documentation,
which suggests that the pipe type argument is BOOLEAN and is supposed to be
FILE_PIPE_MESSAGE_TYPE == 1 or FILE_PIPE_BYTE_STREAM_MODE == 0.  On the other
hand, the defines in /usr/include/w32api/ddk/ntifs.h show that

FILE_PIPE_TYPE_VALID_MASK == FILE_PIPE_MESSAGE_TYPE |
FILE_PIPE_REJECT_REMOTE_CLIENTS,

which is consistent with what you said.

>> Last question: The only documentation I found for NtCreateNamedPipeFile is here:
>>
>> http://undocumented.ntinternals.net/index.html?page=UserMode%2FUndocumented%20Functions%2FNT%20Objects%2FFile%2FNtCreateFile.html
>>
>> Is there anything better?
>
> Not that I'm aware of.   There's only this and the Reactos source.

Thanks, I didn't know about Reactos.

Ken