public inbox for cygwin-developers@cygwin.com
* Coding style question for Corinna
@ 2020-11-13  6:02 Mark Geisert
From: Mark Geisert @ 2020-11-13  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

Hi Corinna,
I'm about to submit the patches for a small improvement to Cygwin's malloc
implementation.  There are several places in malloc_wrapper.cc where I
have minor code repetition inside an #if.  But it could be coded
differently.. so which of the following forms do you prefer?
--- form 1 ---
   if (!use_internal)
     user_data->free (p);
   else
     {
#if MSPACES
       void *m = get_current_mspace ();
       if (likely(m))
         mspace_free (m, p);
       else
         dlfree (p);
#else
       dlfree (p);
#endif
     }

--- form 2 ---
   if (!use_internal)
     user_data->free (p);
   else
     {
#if MSPACES
       void *m = get_current_mspace ();
       if (likely(m))
         mspace_free (m, p);
       else
#endif
         dlfree (p);

..mark

* Re: Coding style question for Corinna
@ 2020-11-13  9:22 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2020-11-13  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

Hi Mark,

On Nov 12 22:02, Mark Geisert wrote:
> Hi Corinna,
> I'm about to submit the patches for a small improvement to Cygwin's malloc
> implementation.  There are several places in malloc_wrapper.cc where I have
> minor code repetition inside an #if.  But it could be coded differently.. so
> which of the following forms do you prefer?
> --- form 1 ---
>   if (!use_internal)
>     user_data->free (p);
>   else
>     {
> #if MSPACES
>       void *m = get_current_mspace ();
>       if (likely(m))
                 ^^^
                 missing space

>         mspace_free (m, p);
>       else
>         dlfree (p);
> #else
>       dlfree (p);
> #endif
>     }
>
> --- form 2 ---
>   if (!use_internal)
>     user_data->free (p);
>   else
>     {
> #if MSPACES
>       void *m = get_current_mspace ();
>       if (likely(m))
>         mspace_free (m, p);
>       else
> #endif
>         dlfree (p);
>     }
>
> Thanks,
>
> ..mark

We have a couple of form 2 in the code, but I'd prefer form 1 these
days.  However, you're doing the coding and both forms are correct, so
it's your choice in the first place.

Corinna