public inbox for cygwin-developers@cygwin.com
* NFS share - NtOpenFile() failed, c00000be
@ 2015-10-29 11:47 Andy O'Shaughnessy
From: Andy O'Shaughnessy @ 2015-10-29 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

I am able to mount an NFS share from Linux but when I use Cygwin I get
a stranger error:

$ mount //<server>/<share> /tmp/test1

$ ls -lrt /tmp
ls: cannot access /tmp/test1: No such file or directory
total 0
d????????? ? ? ? ?            ? test1

But when I run the following I get :

$ /usr/lib/csih/getVolInfo /tmp/test1
NtOpenFile(\??\UNC\<server>\<share>) failed, c00000be

Note : 0xC00000BE = STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_PATH

The mount happened but not properly.
It might be linked to Windows McAfee Firewalls.
I would guess this mailing list will readily know what is wrong

* Re: NFS share - NtOpenFile() failed, c00000be
@ 2015-10-29 12:09 ` Ryan Johnson
From: Ryan Johnson @ 2015-10-29 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

On 29/10/2015 5:47 AM, Andy O'Shaughnessy wrote:
> It might be linked to Windows McAfee Firewalls.
You've answered your own question.
http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.bloda

Regards,
Ryan

* Re: NFS share - NtOpenFile() failed, c00000be
@ 2015-10-29 15:12 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-10-29 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy O'Shaughnessy; +Cc: cygwin-developers

Hi Andy,

in theory this is the wrong mailing list.  The right one for this type
of question is cygwin AT cygwin DOT com.  But see below.

On Oct 29 11:47, Andy O'Shaughnessy wrote:
> I am able to mount an NFS share from Linux but when I use Cygwin I get
> a stranger error:
>
> $ mount //<server>/<share> /tmp/test1
>
> $ ls -lrt /tmp
> ls: cannot access /tmp/test1: No such file or directory
> total 0
> d????????? ? ? ? ?            ? test1
>
> But when I run the following I get :
>
> $ /usr/lib/csih/getVolInfo /tmp/test1
> NtOpenFile(\??\UNC\<server>\<share>) failed, c00000be
>
> Note : 0xC00000BE = STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_PATH
>
> The mount happened but not properly.
> It might be linked to Windows McAfee Firewalls.
> I would guess this mailing list will readily know what is wrong

As Ryan indicated it may be related to firewall settings, but let's take
a step back first.

- Accessing NFS shares does not work out of the box on Windows.  You
  have to install the NFS feature in Windows first:

  Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off
  -> Services for NFS

  If the above doesn't exist on your machine, you're out of luck.  Since
  Windows 7 this feature is only available to Enterprise customers :(

- In an AD environment you also should make sure to have the required
  authentication as a UNIX user with the right UID/GID.  I urge you to
  read https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html, especially
  https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-mapping-nfs and
  https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-mapping-nsswitch-posix

- In the administrative "Services for NFS" dialog, make sure to disable
  the krb5 security flavors.  I had a lot of trouble with them, but
  there's a good chance I did something wrong, so take this with a grain
  of salt.

- NFSv4 is not support.  Export the shares with NFSv3.

- If you export a share on Unix/Linux like this (/etc/exports):

    /foo/bar/baz  ...

  there won't be a //server/foo share!  There won't be a //server/baz
  share either.  Rather you have to access the full path as in
  //server/foo/bar/baz.  And that sometimes fails for no good reason.
  Therefore, ideally construct your server paths to be exported with a
  single path component, e.g., symlink or bind mount /foo/bar/baz to
  /baz and then export /baz.

HTH,
Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Fwd: NFS share - NtOpenFile() failed, c00000be
@ 2015-10-29 15:55   ` Andy O'Shaughnessy
From: Andy O'Shaughnessy @ 2015-10-29 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

Enabling the "Services for NFS" solved my problem - thank you very much Corinna.

  Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off
  -> Services for NFS

  If the above doesn't exist on your machine, you're out of luck.  Since
  Windows 7 this feature is only available to Enterprise customers :(

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 836 bytes --]

* Re: NFS share - NtOpenFile() failed, c00000be
@ 2017-09-28 11:27   ` Andy O'Shaughnessy
From: Andy O'Shaughnessy @ 2017-09-28 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

Corinna

You solved this before for me:

*"- Accessing NFS shares does not work out of the box on Windows.  You
have to install the NFS feature in Windows first:  Control Panel ->
Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off  -> Services for
NFS"*

I updated to *Windows 10* and the seem to be broke again.
Is that possible?

Andy

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 3:12 PM, Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com

@ 2017-09-28 13:08     ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2017-09-28 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-developers

On 9/28/2017 7:27 AM, Andy O'Shaughnessy wrote:
> Corinna
>
> You solved this before for me:
>

> *"- Accessing NFS shares does not work out of the box on Windows.  You
> have to install the NFS feature in Windows first:  Control Panel ->
> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off  -> Services for
> NFS"*
>
> I updated to *Windows 10* and the seem to be broke again.
> Is that possible?

This is the wrong list for this discussion but ...

https://graspingtech.com/mount-nfs-share-windows-10/

You must have at least a Pro version.

--
cyg Simple