public inbox for cygwin-developers@cygwin.com
* Question about non-blocking Windows pipes
@ 2021-04-01 14:39 Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2021-04-01 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-devel

Hi Corinna,

There are several places in fhandler_socket_unix.cc where you make a distinction
between the blocking and nonblocking cases with code like this:

   cygwait (evt ?: get_handle (),...)

Here evt is an event handle in the blocking case and is NULL in the nonblocking
case.  See, for example, fhandler_socket_unix::listen_pipe.

What's the reasoning behind this?  Why not just always create an event or always
use the handle?  I guess I don't understand what Windows does differently in the
two cases.

Thanks.

Ken