public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* FW: Call for testing Cygwin snapshot
@ 2006-05-02 18:03 Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-05-02 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'amateur psychology half-hour'

On 02 May 2006 17:21, Steven Hartland wrote:

  Ahh, the power of the subconscious....

> Hopefully Corinna can find some more time in his very busy schedule

  How else could anyone not be brought up short by the cognitive dissonance of
writing 'his' just after a very feminine name (it even ends in an 'a') if not
for the power of the subconscious to inflict its (often quite prejudiced)
preconceptions on our waking thoughts?!

> This e.mail is private and confidential between Multiplay (UK) Ltd. and the
> person or entity to whom it is addressed. In the event of misdirection, the
> recipient is prohibited from using, copying, printing or otherwise
> disseminating it or any information contained in it.

  Hey!  Multiplay!  Prohibit *this*!

                    ---
                   !   !
                   !   !
                   !   !
                   !   !
               ----!   !----
          ----!    !   !    !
         !    !    !   !    !    --
         !    !    !   !    !   /  !
          !                 !  /   !
          !                  !/   /
           !                     /
           !                    /
            !                 /
             !              /

  It is, of course, completely bogus to suggest that just by saying so, an
individual or company can bind any random individual to a one-sided
contractual obligation without their explicit initial prior consent.  Hence
the statement claiming that the recipient " .. IS ... " prohibited from all
that stuff is a lie.

  Would *you* do business with a firm that prints a blatant lie at the bottom
of all its stationery?  Not me.

> In the event of misdirection, illegible or incomplete transmission please
> telephone (023) 8024 3137
> or return the E.mail to postmaster@multiplay.co.uk.

  How is it even possible to "return" an email?  Sure, I can forward them a
*copy* of it, but then I still have the original and have made now one /extra/
copy.  Some dumbass lawyer has insisted on this wording without realising the
utter nonsensical category error they are committing.  I suppose this is a PHB
thing:

  "Oops, I've received a misdirected email... I'd better print it out and
stick it in the post back to them.  <sound of mental cogs grinding rustily>
Hey, I know!  <ping!>  I'll fax it to them instead - that'll be even faster!"
<wanders off pleased with self>

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: FW: Call for testing Cygwin snapshot
@ 2006-05-02 18:12 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-05-02 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 07:02:52PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>                    ---
>                   !   !

I've sent Dave some private email about this.  For the record, I would
rather not see this type of thing in this list.

cgf

* RE: FW: Call for testing Cygwin snapshot
@ 2006-05-02 18:22   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-05-02 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'setting a few limits'

On 02 May 2006 19:12, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 07:02:52PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>>                    ---
>>                   !   !
>
> I've sent Dave some private email about this.  For the record, I would
> rather not see this type of thing in this list.
>
> cgf

  Fair enough; my apologies.  Haven't read the private email yet, but I will
respect the lines that people need drawn.

@ 2006-05-02 19:59     ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2006-05-02 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Tue, 2 May 2006, Dave Korn wrote:

> On 02 May 2006 19:12, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
> > On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 07:02:52PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
> >>                    ---
> >>                   !   !
> >
> > I've sent Dave some private email about this.  For the record, I would
> > rather not see this type of thing in this list.
> >
> > cgf
>
>   Fair enough; my apologies.  Haven't read the private email yet, but I
> will respect the lines that people need drawn.

Or, as it may be, the lines that people DON'T need drawn... :-)
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"

* RE: Call for testing Cygwin snapshot
@ 2006-05-03  1:14 ` Gary R. Van Sickle
From: Gary R. Van Sickle @ 2006-05-03  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List'

> From: Dave Korn
[snip]
> > This e.mail is private and confidential between Multiplay (UK) Ltd.
> > and the person or entity to whom it is addressed. In the event of
> > misdirection, the recipient is prohibited from using,
> copying, printing or otherwise
> > disseminating it or any information contained in it.
>
>   Hey!  Multiplay!  Prohibit *this*!

[snip rather rude ascii art.  Way to spend your time Korns.]

>   Would *you* do business with a firm that prints a blatant
> lie at the bottom of all its stationery?

No, I'd be too busy banning (well, unsubscribing anyway) folks that post
purile ASCII fingers to public and ostensibly Cygwin-related mailing lists.
You know, just in fairness to the folks that are able to behave themselves.
But that's just me.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle

* RE: Call for testing Cygwin snapshot
@ 2006-05-03  9:21   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-05-03  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gour srapes?'

On 03 May 2006 02:14, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:

>> From: Dave Korn
> [snip]
>>> ================================================
>>> This e.mail is private and confidential between Multiplay (UK) Ltd.
>>> and the person or entity to whom it is addressed. In the event of
>>> misdirection, the recipient is prohibited from using, copying, printing
>>> or otherwise disseminating it or any information contained in it.
>>
>>   Hey!  Multiplay!  Prohibit *this*!
>>

> [snip rather rude ascii art.  Way to spend your time Korns.]
>
>>   Would *you* do business with a firm that prints a blatant
>> lie at the bottom of all its stationery?
>
> No, I'd be too busy banning (well, unsubscribing anyway) folks that post
> purile ASCII fingers to public and ostensibly Cygwin-related mailing lists.
> You know, just in fairness to the folks that are able to behave themselves.
> But that's just me.

  What, you mean "unable to tell the difference between apologising and
stopping something immediately when asked as opposed to immediately doing it
again"?

  Yeh.  That would be you alright.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: Call for testing Cygwin snapshot
@ 2006-05-09  6:54   ` Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes
From: Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes @ 2006-05-09  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 08:13:57PM -0500, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
> No, I'd be too busy banning (well, unsubscribing anyway) folks that post
> purile ASCII fingers to public and ostensibly Cygwin-related mailing lists.

You'll find the Cygwin-related lists starting 2 booths to the right.

* Re: FW: Call for testing Cygwin snapshot
@ 2006-05-09  7:07   ` Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes
From: Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes @ 2006-05-09  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 02:11:57PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 07:02:52PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
> >                    ---
> >                   !   !
>
> I've sent Dave some private email about this.  For the record, I would
> rather not see this type of thing in this list.

I rather agree.  But (and this is a serious question) would it have been
ok if he'd put the artwork on the web and posted a link to it?  If so,
why is there a difference?  And if not, is that any different from
posting a link like http://www.scs.cs.nyu.edu/~dm/remove.pdf ?

* RE: FW: Call for testing Cygwin snapshot
@ 2006-05-09  9:18     ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-05-09  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Get Me Off The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List'

On 09 May 2006 08:07, Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:

> On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 02:11:57PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 07:02:52PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>>>                    ---
>>>                   !   !
>>
>> I've sent Dave some private email about this.  For the record, I would
>> rather not see this type of thing in this list.
>
> I rather agree.  But (and this is a serious question) would it have been
> ok if he'd put the artwork on the web and posted a link to it?  If so,
> why is there a difference?  And if not, is that any different from
> posting a link like http://www.scs.cs.nyu.edu/~dm/remove.pdf ?

  Heh, that one still cracks me up every time!

    cheers,
      DaveK