public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* 'bug' in Unsub-instructions included with 'cygwin-announce' messages.
@ 2008-03-18 23:03 Linda Walsh
From: Linda Walsh @ 2008-03-18 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

It has the unsub address line as:

I think it should be:

But I could be confused?

I'm probably confused about where to post this, as it isn't really
an announcement and I don't think cygwin-announce is the proper place
to announce cygwin-announce related problems.

It's likely the list owners wouldn't really care to receive this type
of email on a 'personal' level, so personal email is of suspect
validity.

And it's not exactly a cygwin issue, since it is really about
cygwin list, which makes it more of a 'meta issue', but there
is no cygwin-meta list, exactly...though talk might be considered
meta in a meta sorta way.

I dunnow -- maybe I'll just ask on cygwin-talk and see what others
say, since I know all the hip(po) type people hang there and maybe
the problem will be solved (or at least berated, or I will...or something).

Eh?

* Re: 'bug' in Unsub-instructions included with 'cygwin-announce'  messages.
@ 2008-03-18 23:27 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-03-18 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 04:02:43PM -0700, Linda Walsh wrote:
> It has the unsub address line as:
>
> I think it should be:
>
> But I could be confused?
>
> I'm probably confused about where to post this, as it isn't really
> an announcement and I don't think cygwin-announce is the proper place
> to announce cygwin-announce related problems.
>
> It's likely the list owners wouldn't really care to receive this type
> of email on a 'personal' level, so personal email is of suspect
> validity.
>
> And it's not exactly a cygwin issue, since it is really about
> cygwin list, which makes it more of a 'meta issue', but there
> is no cygwin-meta list, exactly...though talk might be considered
> meta in a meta sorta way.
>
> I dunnow -- maybe I'll just ask on cygwin-talk and see what others
> say, since I know all the hip(po) type people hang there and maybe
> the problem will be solved (or at least berated, or I will...or something).
>
> Eh?

What this other says is that you're confused about how this works.  The
unsubscribe instructions are put there by the individuals who send email
to the mailing list.  If there was a typo in the instructions, it was
just a typo and not a symptom of a bad mailing list setting.

cgf

* Re: 'typo' in [some] Unsub-instructions included with [some] 'cygwin-announce'   messages.
@ 2008-03-19  0:59   ` Linda Walsh
From: Linda Walsh @ 2008-03-19  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> What this other says is that you're confused about how this works.  The
> unsubscribe instructions are put there by the individuals who send email
> to the mailing list.  If there was a typo in the instructions, it was
> just a typo and not a symptom of a bad mailing list setting.
>
> cgf
---
	Oh...yeah, that could be confusing.  I thought it might
be a standard "appended tail" as appears on cygwin posted messages.
Nevermind....I just happened to click on a few by the same
person...didn't make for an adequate sample.  I figured someone
might help point out the error of my thinking or ways or something.
tnx

* RE: 'bug' in Unsub-instructions included with 'cygwin-announce' messages.
@ 2008-03-19 10:27 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2008-03-19 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'is a mime error when they accidentally make a sound?'

Linda Walsh wrote on 18 March 2008 23:03:

> It has the unsub address line as:
>
> I think it should be:
>
> But I could be confused?

  Nope, you're right.  Looks like some kind of MIME double-encoding error to
me.

'=3D' -> '=3D3D'

    cheers,
      DaveK