public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* Proposal: That the Hippo becomes the official mascot of Cygwin
@ 2009-02-13 14:47 zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2009-02-13 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Hi
I guess I'm not the first to suggest this, but Perl has got the Camel, GNU's
got the .. drat I can't remember. Might help popularise/publicise Cygwin

--
zzapper

http://www.successtheory.com/tips/zshtips.html

* Re: Proposal: That the Hippo becomes the official mascot of Cygwin
@ 2009-02-13 16:27 ` Warren Young
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Warren Young @ 2009-02-13 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

zzapper wrote:
> I guess I'm not the first to suggest this, but Perl has got the Camel, GNU's
> got the .. drat I can't remember. Might help popularise/publicise Cygwin

I think we're just waiting on someone to come up with a graphic that
either wins widespread acceptance, or favor from the Co-Maintainers.

It's a difficult challenge.  The reason for picking hippos is that
they're mean, because WJM here.  How do you have a mean-looking hippo
that's also attractive?  OpenSSH seems to strike a similar balance with
their puffer fish mascot, but then, the connection between security and
puffer fishes is obvious.

* Re: Proposal: That the Hippo becomes the official mascot of Cygwin
@ 2009-02-13 20:51   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-02-13 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessionally-Prepared Cygwin-Talk List

Warren Young wrote:
> zzapper wrote:
>> I guess I'm not the first to suggest this, but Perl has got the Camel,
>> GNU's got the .. drat I can't remember. Might help
>> popularise/publicise Cygwin
>
> I think we're just waiting on someone to come up with a graphic that
> either wins widespread acceptance, or favor from the Co-Maintainers.
>
> It's a difficult challenge.  The reason for picking hippos is that
> they're mean, because WJM here.

  'sfunny, I thought it was because they were big and lumbering with a huge
unwieldy back-end ....    ;-)

>  How do you have a mean-looking hippo that's also attractive?

  Put lipstick on it?

> OpenSSH seems to strike a similar balance with
> their puffer fish mascot, but then, the connection between security and
> puffer fishes is obvious.

  SSH, like Fugu, is a welcome and tasty treat, but, also like Fugu, there are
probably a couple of seriously poisonous bits somewhere deep down there in the
innards?

    cheers,
      DaveK

* RE: Proposal: That the Hippo becomes the official mascot of Cygwin
@ 2009-02-13 20:53   ` Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E]
From: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] @ 2009-02-13 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List'

Warren Young wrote on Friday, February 13, 2009 11:27 AM:
> zzapper wrote:
>> I guess I'm not the first to suggest this, but Perl has got the
>> Camel, GNU's got the .. drat I can't remember. Might help
>> popularise/publicise Cygwin
>
> I think we're just waiting on someone to come up with a graphic that
> either wins widespread acceptance, or favor from the Co-Maintainers.
>
> It's a difficult challenge.  The reason for picking hippos is that
> they're mean, because WJM here.  How do you have a mean-looking hippo
> that's also attractive?  OpenSSH seems to strike a similar balance
> with their puffer fish mascot, but then, the connection between
> security and puffer fishes is obvious.

Here are the oldest "Hippo"s in the archives: http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/search.cgi?cmd=Search!&fmt=long&form=extended&GroupBySite=no&m=all&np=15&ps=50&q=hippo&s=DRP&sp=1&sy=1&type=&ul=/ml/cygwin%25&wf=2221&wm=wrd
(I remember "hippo" being a pun on "hypocrite", but I cannot find evidence for that.)

Before that, the otters were favored, because CGF likes them a lot. http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2002-01/msg00049.html

Personally, I like "cygnet" (a young swan). http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2002-12/msg00034.html
See more: http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/search.cgi?cmd=Search!&fmt=long&form=extended&GroupBySite=no&m=all&ps=50&q=cygnet&sp=1&sy=1&type=&ul=/ml/cygwin%25&wf=2221&wm=wrd&s=DRP

* Re: Proposal: That the Hippo becomes the official mascot of Cygwin
@ 2009-02-13 21:08     ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-02-13 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Amnesiac and Uhhhh.. what was I saying ?

Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
> Warren Young wrote on Friday, February 13, 2009 11:27 AM:
>> zzapper wrote:
>>> I guess I'm not the first to suggest this, but Perl has got the Camel,
>>> GNU's got the .. drat I can't remember. Might help popularise/publicise
>>> Cygwin
>> I think we're just waiting on someone to come up with a graphic that
>> either wins widespread acceptance, or favor from the Co-Maintainers.
>>
>> It's a difficult challenge.  The reason for picking hippos is that
>> they're mean, because WJM here.  How do you have a mean-looking hippo
>> that's also attractive?  OpenSSH seems to strike a similar balance with
>> their puffer fish mascot, but then, the connection between security and
>> puffer fishes is obvious.
>
> Here are the oldest "Hippo"s in the archives:
> http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/search.cgi?cmd=Search!&fmt=long&form=extended&GroupBySite=no&m=all&np=15&ps=50&q=hippo&s=DRP&sp=1&sy=1&type=&ul=/ml/cygwin%25&wf=2221&wm=wrd
>  (I remember "hippo" being a pun on "hypocrite", but I cannot find evidence
>  for that.)

  Nah, it all started because they're related to whales.

http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-talk/2005-q2/msg00073.html
http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-talk/2005-q2/msg00075.html

... then it got silly.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: Proposal: That the Hippo becomes the official mascot of Cygwin
@ 2009-02-14  4:01     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2009-02-14  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 09:00:32PM +0000, Dave Korn wrote:
>SSH, like Fugu, is a welcome and tasty treat, but, also like Fugu,
>there are probably a couple of seriously poisonous bits somewhere deep
>down there in the innards?

No profanity please.

cgf

* Re: Proposal: That the Hippo becomes the official mascot of Cygwin
@ 2009-02-14  5:13       ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-02-14  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Un<bleeeeeep> Cygwin-Talk List

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 09:00:32PM +0000, Dave Korn wrote:
>> SSH, like Fugu, is a welcome and tasty treat, but, also like Fugu,
>> there are probably a couple of seriously poisonous bits somewhere deep
>> down there in the innards?
>
> No profanity please.
>
> cgf

  Sorry.  I'll refer to it as "S**" in future.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: Proposal: That the Hippo becomes the official mascot of Cygwin
@ 2009-02-17 14:59   ` zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2009-02-17 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Warren Young wrote in news:49959F46.1020807@etr-usa.com:

> It's a difficult challenge.  The reason for picking hippos is that
> they're mean, because WJM here.  How do you have a mean-looking hippo
> that's also attractive?  OpenSSH seems to strike a similar balance with
> their puffer fish mascot, but then, the connection between security and
> puffer fishes is obvious.

Surely somebody's got graphic skills, perhaps hold a competition?

zzapper

* Re: Proposal: That the Hippo becomes the official mascot of Cygwin
@ 2009-02-19 18:28     ` Dave Woodfall
From: Dave Woodfall @ 2009-02-19 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On (14:58 17/02/09), zzapper <david@tvis.co.uk> put forth the proposition:
>Warren Young wrote in news:49959F46.1020807@etr-usa.com:
>

>> It's a difficult challenge.  The reason for picking hippos is that
>> they're mean, because WJM here.  How do you have a mean-looking hippo
>> that's also attractive?  OpenSSH seems to strike a similar balance with
>> their puffer fish mascot, but then, the connection between security and
>> puffer fishes is obvious.
>>

>Surely somebody's got graphic skills, perhaps hold a competition?
>
>zzapper

I like the ascii art hippo when you log in myself.

--
	Love's Drug

My love is like an iron wand
	That conks me on the head,
My love is like the valium
	That I take before my bed,
My love is like the pint of scotch
	That I drink when I be dry;
And I shall love thee still, my dear,
	Until my wife is wise.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 489 bytes --]

* Re: Proposal: That the Hippo becomes the official mascot of Cygwin
@ 2009-02-28  4:41       ` Joe Smith
From: Joe Smith @ 2009-02-28  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Dave Woodfall wrote:
>I like the ascii art hippo when you log in myself.

Which ascii art hippo? The one in /etc/default/etc/motd?

Or the one that appears in:
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/3161/yesyoucan.png

Personally, I've never seen either of them before this week.

* Re: Proposal: That the Hippo becomes the official mascot of Cygwin
@ 2009-02-28  9:20         ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-02-28  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lol internet lol cyberstalkng

Joe Smith wrote:

> Dave Woodfall wrote:
>> I like the ascii art hippo when you log in myself.
>
> Which ascii art hippo? The one in /etc/default/etc/motd?
>
> Or the one that appears in:
> http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/3161/yesyoucan.png

  I used to have to fix problems with a PC, that Cygwin gave me.  Then a hippo
fell on the computer and now I don't have a PC any more.

  Long live hippos!

    cheers,
      DaveK