public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* Hippos are Vegetarian
@ 2009-10-07 14:08 zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2009-10-07 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

 A dwarf nicknamed Od has died in a circus accident in northern Thailand.
According to the Pattaya Mail, he "bounced sideways from a trampoline and was
swallowed by a yawning hippopotamus which was waiting to appear in the next
act. Vets on the scene said Hilda the Hippo had a gag reflex that
automatically caused her to swallow." The vet said it was the first time the
hefty vegetarian had ever eaten a circus performer. "Unfortunately, the
1,000-plus spectators continued to applaud widely until common-sense dictated
that there had been a tragic mistake". (Melbourne Herald Sun - July 16th,
1999)

--
zzapper
http://www.successtheory.com/tips/vimtips.html

* Re: Hippos are Vegetarian
@ 2009-10-07 15:37 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2009-10-07 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On Oct  7 14:07, zzapper wrote:
>  A dwarf nicknamed Od has died in a circus accident in northern Thailand.
> According to the Pattaya Mail, he "bounced sideways from a trampoline and was
> swallowed by a yawning hippopotamus which was waiting to appear in the next
> act. Vets on the scene said Hilda the Hippo had a gag reflex that
> automatically caused her to swallow." The vet said it was the first time the
> hefty vegetarian had ever eaten a circus performer. "Unfortunately, the
> 1,000-plus spectators continued to applaud widely until common-sense dictated
> that there had been a tragic mistake". (Melbourne Herald Sun - July 16th,
> 1999)

LOL.  Live's the best comedian.

Corinna

* Re: Hippos are Vegetarian
@ 2009-10-07 15:38 ` Aaron Humphrey
From: Aaron Humphrey @ 2009-10-07 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 8:07 AM, zzapper <david@tvis.co.uk> wrote:
>  A dwarf nicknamed Od has died in a circus accident in northern Thailand.
> According to the Pattaya Mail, he "bounced sideways from a trampoline and was
> swallowed by a yawning hippopotamus which was waiting to appear in the next
> act. Vets on the scene said Hilda the Hippo had a gag reflex that
> automatically caused her to swallow." The vet said it was the first time the
> hefty vegetarian had ever eaten a circus performer. "Unfortunately, the
> 1,000-plus spectators continued to applaud widely until common-sense dictated
> that there had been a tragic mistake". (Melbourne Herald Sun - July 16th,
> 1999)
>
> --
> zzapper

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/hippoeatsdwarf.asp

Coincidentally, I just got the book "Hippo Eats Dwarf", a book on
hoaxes, out of the library.

--
--Alfvaen (Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--The Monkees:Heart And Soul

* Re: Hippos are Vegetarian
@ 2009-10-07 15:40   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-10-07 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The World Weekly Cygwin-Talk Maiming List Ate My Hampsterdance

Aaron Humphrey wrote:

> http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/hippoeatsdwarf.asp
>
> Coincidentally, I just got the book "Hippo Eats Dwarf", a book on
> hoaxes, out of the library.

  Heh, your mail arrived while I was writing pretty much the same.  This is
one of the classic urban legends of internet history.  And it has a hippo in
it! :-)

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: Hippos are Vegetarian
@ 2009-10-07 15:46   ` zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2009-10-07 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Aaron Humphrey wrote in

> htt

Drat appears it was a hoax, but apparently the reports in newspapers did
actually appear.

ah well I've sent the hoax on it's way again!

--
zzapper

* Re: Hippos are Vegetarian
@ 2009-10-07 16:07     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2009-10-07 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On Oct  7 16:55, Dave Korn wrote:
> Aaron Humphrey wrote:
>

> > http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/hippoeatsdwarf.asp
> >
> > Coincidentally, I just got the book "Hippo Eats Dwarf", a book on
> > hoaxes, out of the library.
>
>   Heh, your mail arrived while I was writing pretty much the same.  This is
> one of the classic urban legends of internet history.  And it has a hippo in
> it! :-)

But then again, it *must* be true, right?

Corinna

* Re: Hippos are Vegetarian
@ 2009-10-07 16:26       ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-10-07 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Not-Exactly-True and Not-Always-Entirely-Beautiful-Either
	Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Oct  7 16:55, Dave Korn wrote:
>> Aaron Humphrey wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/hippoeatsdwarf.asp
>>>
>>> Coincidentally, I just got the book "Hippo Eats Dwarf", a book on
>>> hoaxes, out of the library.
>>   Heh, your mail arrived while I was writing pretty much the same.  This is
>> one of the classic urban legends of internet history.  And it has a hippo in
>> it! :-)
>
> But then again, it *must* be true, right?

  Exactly.  Truth is beauty, hence beauty is truth; this story is beautiful,
therefore it must be true.  And if it isn't, it should be, so the best thing
we can do is help the rumour spread :-)

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: Hippos are Vegetarian
@ 2009-10-07 16:39         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2009-10-07 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On Oct  7 17:40, Dave Korn wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> >>   Heh, your mail arrived while I was writing pretty much the same.  This is
> >> one of the classic urban legends of internet history.  And it has a hippo in
> >> it! :-)
> >
> > But then again, it *must* be true, right?
> >

>   Exactly.  Truth is beauty, hence beauty is truth; this story is beautiful,
> therefore it must be true.  And if it isn't, it should be, so the best thing
> we can do is help the rumour spread :-)

You forgot the hippo.  Truth is beauty, beauty is a hippo, hence beauty
is truth.  Or something.

Corinna

* Re: Hippos are Vegetarian
@ 2009-10-07 17:59           ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-10-07 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: I think so, Brain, but what if the hippo doesn't want to kiss me?

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Oct  7 17:40, Dave Korn wrote:
>> Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>>> But then again, it *must* be true, right?
>>>
>>   Exactly.  Truth is beauty, hence beauty is truth; this story is beautiful,
>> therefore it must be true.  And if it isn't, it should be, so the best thing
>> we can do is help the rumour spread :-)
>
> You forgot the hippo.  Truth is beauty, beauty is a hippo, hence beauty
> is truth.  Or something.

http://animalsneedkisses.wordpress.com/2009/01/20/hippos/

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: Hippos are Vegetarian
@ 2009-10-07 22:43             ` Chris Sutcliffe
From: Chris Sutcliffe @ 2009-10-07 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

>> You forgot the hippo.  Truth is beauty, beauty is a hippo, hence beauty
>> is truth.  Or something.
>
> http://animalsneedkisses.wordpress.com/2009/01/20/hippos/

From that link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippopotamus#Aggression

"To mark territory, hippos spin their tails while defecating to
distribute their excrement over the greatest possible area."

I think this would be a great feature for release 1.9!

Cheers!

Chris

--
Chris Sutcliffe
http://emergedesktop.org

* Re: Hippos are Vegetarian
@ 2009-10-08  0:03               ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-10-08  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Never stand behind a hippo

Chris Sutcliffe wrote:
>>> You forgot the hippo.  Truth is beauty, beauty is a hippo, hence beauty
>>> is truth.  Or something.
>> http://animalsneedkisses.wordpress.com/2009/01/20/hippos/
>
> From that link:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippopotamus#Aggression
>
> "To mark territory, hippos spin their tails while defecating to
> distribute their excrement over the greatest possible area."

  Pic related:

http://icanhascheezburger.com/2008/03/07/funny-pictures-tmi/

> I think this would be a great feature for release 1.9!

  Spraying crap over everything?  May require the purchase of an optional
hardware add-on of some sort, may it not?  How is the GNU OpenMuckspreader
project doing these days, anyway?

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: Hippos are Vegetarian
@ 2009-10-08  2:32                 ` Morgan Gangwere
From: Morgan Gangwere @ 2009-10-08  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 6:18 PM, Some random bloke <Le Fail Email
Address is Le Fail> defecated on their keyboard and had a sesiure, but
somehow typed the following:

>  Spraying crap over everything?  May require the purchase of an optional
> hardware add-on of some sort, may it not?  How is the GNU OpenMuckspreader
> project doing these days, anyway?

Pretty bad... it was a shitty project to begin with and its just gone
down the toilet.

--
Morgan gangwere

"Space does not reflect society, it expresses it." -- Castells, M.,
Space of Flows, Space of Places: Materials for a Theory of Urbanism in
the Information Age, in The Cybercities Reader, S. Graham, Editor.
2004, Routledge: London. p. 82-93.