public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* A biento
@ 2006-05-29  6:25 bruce@wehrhere.com
From: bruce@wehrhere.com @ 2006-05-29  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

A biento, mes amis.  I bid you farewell ... for now.  :)

You folks have been helpful, informative and downright entertaining.  I've got other work to do, so I'm signing off the list for the time being.  If you need me (oh, for, let's say ... a rousing creation/evolution debate <poke poke> :), you know where to find me:  bruce AT wehrhere DOT com.  (or Captain DOT Kangaroo AT mac DOT com ... seriously!  :).

I'll stop by again if I ever have another Cygwin question.

<But, that WASN'T a Cywin question in the first place!>
<Yes, it was!>
<No, it wasn't!>
<YES IT WAS!>
<NO IT WASN'T!>
<WAS TO!>
<WAS NOT!>
<WAS ... er, excuse me, but ... you DID pay for this argument, didn't you?>

<>< Bruce

* RE: A biento
@ 2006-05-29  9:03 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-05-29  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'isn't this where we came in?'

On 29 May 2006 07:25, bruce@wehrhere wrote:

> A biento, mes amis.  I bid you farewell ... for now.  :)
>
> You folks have been helpful, informative and downright entertaining.  I've
> got other work to do, so I'm signing off the list for the time being.  If
> you need me (oh, for, let's say ... a rousing creation/evolution debate
> <poke poke> :), you know where to find me:  bruce AT wehrhere DOT com.  (or
> Captain DOT Kangaroo AT mac DOT com ... seriously!  :).
>
> <>< Bruce

  Heeyy waitaminnit!  I was just getting good and charged up for that one!  After all, I don't believe in evolution every week.
This week, we all got here by evolution, sure enough, but if tomorrow the FSM decides that ID makes more sense, or even just for a
whim[*], he'll just reach out his noodly appendage and re-undo-ify the entire universe so that it was, in fact, created only fifteen
minutes ago, with all those fake fossils buried in the rocks and the fake memories in our heads and all that, and not only will it
be that way but it'll always have been that way.

  Then, next day, he might decide he prefers an evolutionary universe, and change it all back again.  And it'll always have been
that way, too.

  So OK, here's your starter for five (strands of spaghetti):  Just because Michael Behe is a scientist does not automatically make
everything he does science.  'Irreducible complexity' is a fallacious concept that simply has not been shown to be the case.  It is
a blatantly false inference to claim that a complex molecular system that cannot function without any given part could not have
evolved.  But, because this is just a starter, I'm not going to tell you straight away where the exact hole in the reasoning is: I
want to know if you can see it.

    cheers,
  <>< DaveK
  /|\

[*] - The FSM moves in mysterious ways.  And sometimes entirely flippant ones.  RAmen!

* RE: A biento
@ 2006-05-30  4:16   ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2006-05-30  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Mon, 29 May 2006, Dave Korn wrote:

> On 29 May 2006 07:25, bruce@wehrhere wrote:
>
> > <>< Bruce
>
>   <>< DaveK
>   /|\

Heh, what are those, noodly appendages? ;-)
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"

* RE: A biento
@ 2006-05-30  9:33     ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-05-30  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'we're really evolving now!'

On 30 May 2006 05:14, Igor Peshansky wrote:

> On Mon, 29 May 2006, Dave Korn wrote:
>
>> On 29 May 2006 07:25, bruce@wehrhere wrote:
>>
>>> <>< Bruce
>>
>>   <>< DaveK
>>   /|\
>
> Heh, what are those, noodly appendages? ;-)
> 	Igor

  :)  I left it deliberately vague whether they're noodly appendages or legs.
It could change at any moment...

    cheers,
      DaveK

* RE: A biento
@ 2006-05-30 15:10       ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2006-05-30 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Tue, 30 May 2006, Dave Korn wrote:

> On 30 May 2006 05:14, Igor Peshansky wrote:

> >>   <>< DaveK
> >>   /|\
> >
> > Heh, what are those, noodly appendages? ;-)
> > 	Igor
>
>   :)  I left it deliberately vague whether they're noodly appendages or
> legs. It could change at any moment...

Hmm, wobbly legs.  I get it. :-)
<,>,<	Igor
--

@ 2006-05-30 18:58         ` Joe Smith
From: Joe Smith @ 2006-05-30 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

"Igor Peshansky" <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> wrote in message
> On Tue, 30 May 2006, Dave Korn wrote:

>> > Heh, what are those, noodly appendages? ;-)
>> > Igor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Flying_spaghetti_monster_emblem_2.jpg

Best parody of the ichthys crome car attachment I've yet seen.

* Re: A biento
@ 2006-05-30 19:33           ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2006-05-30 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

Umm, <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Flying_spaghetti_monster_emblem_2.jpg
>
> Best parody of the ichthys crome car attachment I've yet seen.

I actually have the "Darwin" one on my car, hence the <,>,< (the best
1-line approximathin of that fish with legs)...
	Igor
--

@ 2006-05-29 14:24 bruce@wehrhere.com
From: bruce@wehrhere.com @ 2006-05-29 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Monday, May 29, 2006, at 04:11AM, Dave Korn <dave.korn@artimi.com> wrote:
> Heeyy waitaminnit!  I was just getting good and charged up for that one!

Sorry, my friend, but I just don't have time to take your bait.  I've been working OT (12-14 hours/day, 6 days/week - one can go cross-eyed REAL easy developing embedded software!) - only God knows how I've been finding the time to sell my Pokemon cards.

Besides, why I should consider you a friend is beyond me (after that flesh-blistering roasty-toasty how-de-doo welcome you gave me :).  Not only that, but I'm not the only one who threw around undeserved, uncivilized insults - you DID call ME a liar, without prior having done *your* homework, and never apologized for that! :)

Ah, well.  Water under the bridge.  Bygones be bygones.  IAG.  Alas, I do, indeed, consider you a friend, sir.

But the evolution debate will have to wait for calmer seas in my life.  I'm officially signed off all Cygwin lists for now.  (I only saw this note from Dave because it arrived between me sending my unsubscribe request and my reply to the confirmation email.)  If you want to make sure I see any particular post(s) to any Cygwin list, you'll have to CC me.

But I will leave you with this one tid-bit to gnaw on:

Do I believe in evolution or creationism?  The short answer:  Yes.

<>< Bruce