public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* Re: Assembler problem while trying to integrate D iompiler in GCC suite
       [not found] <SERRANO7MJJQ873Tlm700000316@SERRANO.CAM.ARTIMI.COM>
@ 2005-06-08  9:37 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2005-06-08  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Dave Korn wrote:

> [...]
[...]
>>+   ASM_GENERATE_INTERNAL_LABEL (buf, "LTHUNK", thunk_labelno);
>

>>Gives me this error now:
>>
>>$ /gcc/gcc-3.4.4/gcc-3.4.4-1/.build/gcc/gdc -save-temps
>>-B/gcc/gcc-3.4.4/gcc-3.4.4-1/.build/gcc/ -B/usr/i686-pc-cygwin/bin/
>>-B/usr/i686-pc-cy>
>>gdc: warning: -pipe ignored because -save-temps specified
>>socketstream.s: Assembler messages:
>>socketstream.s:1416: Error: Local symbol `LTHUNK0' can't be equated to
>>undefined symbol `__D3std6stream6Stream9readExactFPvkZv'
>

>   So what happens if you use a label that doesn't begin with an 'L'?  Frex
>

>>+   ASM_GENERATE_INTERNAL_LABEL (buf, "__LTHUNK", thunk_labelno);

Given the magic which is included in creating binaries that computers
can understand and do s.th. that the binaries want the computer to do,
this is a valid idea.  Or what do you really think is the difference ,
whether an assembler label starts with A,B or C or even L?

Gerrit
--
=^..^=

* RE: Assembler problem while trying to integrate D iompiler in GCC suite
@ 2005-06-08 12:35   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-06-08 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
> Given the magic which is included in creating binaries that computers
> can understand and do s.th. that the binaries want the computer to do,
> this is a valid idea.  Or what do you really think is the difference ,
> whether an assembler label starts with A,B or C or even L?

  Starting with an 'L' makes it a local label in gas, doesn't it?

  AAAAAARRGH!  I MADE AN ON-TOPIC POAST TO THE HIPPOLIST!?!?!?!?!?!

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: Assembler problem while trying to integrate D iompiler in GCC suite
@ 2005-06-08 13:51     ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2005-06-08 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

>>Given the magic which is included in creating binaries that computers
>>can understand and do s.th. that the binaries want the computer to do,
>>this is a valid idea.  Or what do you really think is the difference ,
>>whether an assembler label starts with A,B or C or even L?
>

>   Starting with an 'L' makes it a local label in gas, doesn't it?

I don't know.  I'm just the maintainer;)

>   AAAAAARRGH!  I MADE AN ON-TOPIC POAST TO THE HIPPOLIST!?!?!?!?!?!

Never mind,
Gerrit
--
=^..^=

* RE: Assembler problem while trying to integrate D iompiler in GCC suite
@ 2005-06-08 19:38     ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-06-08 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, Dave Korn wrote:

> [...]

Starting with an 'H' makes it a hippo label in gas, doesn't it? [*]
	Igor
[*] If not, it should.  Patches, anyone? ;-)
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT

* Re: Assembler problem while trying to integrate D iompiler in GCC suite
@ 2005-06-09 11:55       ` Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes
From: Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes @ 2005-06-09 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 09:51:22AM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, Dave Korn wrote:

PLEASE stop using the terms hippo and gas together; it fair gives one
the shivers.

* RE: Assembler problem while trying to integrate D iompiler in GCC suite
@ 2005-06-12  8:49       ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-06-12  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
>>> Given the magic which is included in creating binaries that computers
>>> can understand and do s.th. that the binaries want the computer to do,
>>> this is a valid idea.  Or what do you really think is the difference ,
>>> whether an assembler label starts with A,B or C or even L?
>>
>>   Starting with an 'L' makes it a local label in gas, doesn't it?
>>
>>   AAAAAARRGH!  I MADE AN ON-TOPIC POAST TO THE HIPPOLIST!?!?!?!?!?!
>
> Starting with an 'H' makes it a hippo label in gas, doesn't it? [*]
> 	Igor
> [*] If not, it should.  Patches, anyone? ;-)

  I think we should all try and sneak as many hippo-related references into
as many opensource projects as we can, as a way of kinda-like tagging the
metaphorical walls in their neighbourhood with "Cygwin woz 'ere".  If anyone
manages it, Cc the patch here!

    cheers,
      DaveK