public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* Re: Cygwin, gdb and SEH [was RE: 1.5.19: changes have broken Qt3]
       [not found] ` <052c01c67f5c$c9dab430$a501a8c0@CAM.ARTIMI.COM>
@ 2006-05-24 18:11   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-05-24 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 07:06:32PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>You appear to be under the same misunderstanding as the guy from
>yesterday who thought cygwin might have a use for "market research".
>There is no company, no support team, and any developers whose
>employers might assign them to work on anything related to cygwin are
>under no obligation to work on other people's problems.

I had email problems yesterday (multiple spamd's using up lots of memory
and CPU) so I may have missed the "market research" email.

Anyone have a pointer?  My blood pressure is dangerously low today and
probably needs a boost.

Or was this the person who was using the time-honored "Cygwin will be
much more popular if you allow people to discuss Interix" technique?

cgf

* RE: Cygwin, gdb and SEH [was RE: 1.5.19: changes have broken Qt3]
@ 2006-05-24 18:28     ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-05-24 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'yes YOU TOO can now have ALL-NEW CYGWIN with 100% EXTRA
	just BUY ONE GET TWO FREE - but wait - that's not all - it
	now comes with these FABULOUS FREE GIFTS including a SALAD
	SPINNER, a TOMATO DICER,
	and even an ICE-CUBE MAKER!!! HURRY HURRY HURRY BUY NOW'

On 24 May 2006 19:11, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 07:06:32PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>> You appear to be under the same misunderstanding as the guy from
>> yesterday who thought cygwin might have a use for "market research".
>> There is no company, no support team, and any developers whose
>> employers might assign them to work on anything related to cygwin are
>> under no obligation to work on other people's problems.
>
> I had email problems yesterday (multiple spamd's using up lots of memory
> and CPU) so I may have missed the "market research" email.
>
> Anyone have a pointer?  My blood pressure is dangerously low today and
> probably needs a boost.
>
> Or was this the person who was using the time-honored "Cygwin will be
> much more popular if you allow people to discuss Interix" technique?
>
> cgf

  Heh, yep, that was the one.  Goddam it!  Why don't we want free market
research?  Don't we want to make lots of money from selling cygwin?  Don't we
want it to be more popular and win more recruits to our cause than the other
posix compatibility layers?  WHAT, DO YOU REALLY SAY YOU AREN'T ASSEMBLING AN
ARMY OF LOYAL CYGWIN SOLDIERS TO CONQUER THE WORLD AND PUSH FORWARD THE CYGWIN
FLAG?  Boy, are we ever missing out, losers!

  ...phew...

  What _is_ going on this week?  The newbies seem to be of an even lower
standard than usual.  They must be putting something in the water round
here.....

  ... I mean, aside from the usual stuff the hippos leave in it, that is ...

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: Cygwin, gdb and SEH [was RE: 1.5.19: changes have broken Qt3]
@ 2006-05-24 18:42       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-05-24 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 07:28:32PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>On 24 May 2006 19:11, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>Or was this the person who was using the time-honored "Cygwin will be
>>much more popular if you allow people to discuss Interix" technique?
>
>Heh, yep, that was the one.  Goddam it! Why don't we want free market
>research?  Don't we want to make lots of money from selling cygwin?
>Don't we want it to be more popular and win more recruits to our cause
>than the other posix compatibility layers?  WHAT, DO YOU REALLY SAY YOU
>AREN'T ASSEMBLING AN ARMY OF LOYAL CYGWIN SOLDIERS TO CONQUER THE WORLD
>AND PUSH FORWARD THE CYGWIN FLAG?  Boy, are we ever missing out,
>losers!

Yep.  I have always tried to come up with a catch phrase to apply to this
type of argument.  Straw-Grasping-Argument-From-A-Position-Of-Impotence?
SGAFAOI?

When people resort to the "Surely cygwin will die/prosper..." and "I
thought that Open Source meant..." techniques I always wonder if they
use that kind of tactic in real life.

"I would like to know the ingredients of your secret sauce.  Surely
disseminating this information will benefit your company greatly as this
will show that you are a company who cares about providing nutritional
details and there are many people to whom that is important and they
will be more likely to buy your product."

"I thought that you were a caring individual.  Doesn't that mean that
you have to go out with me?"

>What _is_ going on this week?  The newbies seem to be of an even lower
>standard than usual.  They must be putting something in the water round
>here.....

These things seem to come in waves.  It would be interesting to plot.

cgf

* Re: Cygwin, gdb and SEH [was RE: 1.5.19: changes have broken Qt3]
@ 2006-05-24 19:28       ` Jason Alonso
From: Jason Alonso @ 2006-05-24 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On 5/24/06, Dave Korn wrote:
>   What _is_ going on this week?  The newbies seem to be of an even lower
> standard than usual.  They must be putting something in the water round
> here.....
>
>   ... I mean, aside from the usual stuff the hippos leave in it, that is ...

Ah, yes: Hipposudoric Acid.

http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/sillymolecules/sillymols2.htm

Though, I must say that the hippo-on-high would do no such evil to the
followers of Cygwin, so it must really be Hipposulphate A.

Cheers,
Jason