public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* Re: PCYMTNQREAIYR (was: window resizing not updating COLUMNS and  LINES)
       [not found] ` <31DDB7BE4BF41D4888D41709C476B65704168B82@NIHCESMLBX5.nih.gov>
@ 2006-06-22 15:58   ` mwoehlke
From: mwoehlke @ 2006-06-22 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk; +Cc: BBuchbinder

Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
> Igor Peshansky wrote:
>> On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
>>> Maybe this should be a FAQ or added to the explanation of the
>>> PCYMTNQREAIYR acronym.
>>
>> I don't see why, since Googling for "PCYMTNQREAIYR Outlook" turns up
>> 	the pointers that you quoted above. Igor
>
> Personally, that's not a search that I would think of doing, had I the
> problem, but there's no reason to assume that I share thought processes
> with anyone else.  :-)  In any case, It will depend on the keepers of
> the FAQ and OLOCA, and maybe the http://cygwin.com/lists.html page,
> perhaps with the help of someone sending patch (not me), deciding that
> it needs to be done.

...you mean the <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#CKOA>? You're talking to
him :-). See <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-02/msg02337.html>.

Given that this is something we usually have to throw at new users, do
we *really* expect them to know to use STFW? ;-) I would have to say
that this and TOFU might be deserving of 'one stop shopping' links, even
if they just point to google with appropriate search terms (perhaps best
if they do, even).

--
Matthew
"The spiralling shape will make you go insane!" -- They Might Be Giants

* Re: PCYMTNQREAIYR (was: window resizing not updating COLUMNS and   LINES)
@ 2006-06-22 22:59     ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2006-06-22 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, mwoehlke wrote:

> Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
> > Igor Peshansky wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't see why, since Googling for "PCYMTNQREAIYR Outlook" turns up
> > > 	the pointers that you quoted above. Igor
> >
> > Personally, that's not a search that I would think of doing, had I the
> > problem, but there's no reason to assume that I share thought processes
> > with anyone else.  :-)  In any case, It will depend on the keepers of
> > the FAQ and OLOCA, and maybe the http://cygwin.com/lists.html page,
> > perhaps with the help of someone sending patch (not me), deciding that
> > it needs to be done.
>
> ...you mean the <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#CKOA>? You're talking to
> him :-). See <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-02/msg02337.html>.
>
> Given that this is something we usually have to throw at new users, do
> we *really* expect them to know to use STFW? ;-) I would have to say
> that this and TOFU might be deserving of 'one stop shopping' links, even
> if they just point to google with appropriate search terms (perhaps best
> if they do, even).

The problem, as I've already outlined it, is "which terms do I put in the
Google query"?  Outlook?  "Outlook Express"?  Thunderbird?  Pine?

I've already offered to put a link to a page that strived to become a
comprehensive list of solutions to the PCYMTNQREAIYR/TOFU problems.  It
would then be up to the maintainer of that page to add new solutions as
they are discovered (I might even contribute a couple).  But the OLOCA is
not an FAQ.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"

* Re: PCYMTNQREAIYR
@ 2006-06-22 23:13       ` mwoehlke
From: mwoehlke @ 2006-06-22 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Igor Peshansky wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, mwoehlke wrote:
>> Given that this is something we usually have to throw at new users, do
>> we *really* expect them to know to use STFW? ;-) I would have to say
>> that this and TOFU might be deserving of 'one stop shopping' links, even
>> if they just point to google with appropriate search terms (perhaps best
>> if they do, even).
>
> The problem, as I've already outlined it, is "which terms do I put in the
> Google query"?  Outlook?  "Outlook Express"?  Thunderbird?  Pine?
>
> I've already offered to put a link to a page that strived to become a
> comprehensive list of solutions to the PCYMTNQREAIYR/TOFU problems.  It
> would then be up to the maintainer of that page to add new solutions as
> they are discovered (I might even contribute a couple).  But the OLOCA is
> not an FAQ.
> 	Igor

I was actually thinking "one of each". I.e. there would be a list of
links, e.g. "_Outlook_ _Outlook_Express_ _Pine_ ...", etc. But I must
have misunderstood; the impression I got was that nothing was happening.
If a page is being made, that would be great! I still think the OLOCA
should at least have a link back to such a page, however, for
convenience if nothing else. Heck, just make the word "configure" in the
acronym's expansion be the link :-). Then there is no new text.

Oh, and I wouldn't worry about Thunderbird, given that the *default*
configuration is correct. If someone is using Thunderbird and doing it
wrong, there's a good chance that's because they made the change
intentionally.

--
Matthew
"The spiraling shape will make you go insane!" -- They Might Be Giants

* Re: PCYMTNQREAIYR
@ 2006-06-22 23:20         ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2006-06-22 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

Not to my knowledge.  <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#SHTDI>.

> I still think the OLOCA should at least have a link back to such a page,
> however, for convenience if nothing else.

Quoting myself: "I've already offered to put a link to a page that strived
to become a comprehensive list of solutions to the PCYMTNQREAIYR/TOFU
problems".  If such a page were created and brought to my attention, I
will put a link to it into the PCYMTNQREAIYR and TOFU entries in the
OLOCA.

> Heck, just make the word "configure" in the acronym's expansion be the
> link :-). Then there is no new text.

I actually don't mind new text -- it will make the link explicit, and will
also show up in wtf output.

> Oh, and I wouldn't worry about Thunderbird, given that the *default*
> configuration is correct. If someone is using Thunderbird and doing it
> wrong, there's a good chance that's because they made the change
> intentionally.

Thunderbird was actually a vague recollection on my part of someone else's
complaint, as I don't use it.  But I do know for a fact that pine would
quote the raw address in some situations (e.g., when the real name is not
provided) unless it's configured properly.
	Igor
--

@ 2006-06-23 20:19           ` mwoehlke
From: mwoehlke @ 2006-06-23 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Igor Peshansky wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, mwoehlke wrote:
>
>> Igor Peshansky wrote:
>>> The problem, as I've already outlined it, is "which terms do I put in the
>>> Google query"?  Outlook?  "Outlook Express"?  Thunderbird?  Pine?
>>>
>>> I've already offered to put a link to a page that strived to become a
>>> comprehensive list of solutions to the PCYMTNQREAIYR/TOFU problems.  It
>>> would then be up to the maintainer of that page to add new solutions as
>>> they are discovered (I might even contribute a couple).  But the OLOCA is
>>> not an FAQ.
>>> 	Igor
>> I was actually thinking "one of each". I.e. there would be a list of
>> links, e.g. "_Outlook_ _Outlook_Express_ _Pine_ ...", etc. But I must
>> have misunderstood; the impression I got was that nothing was happening.
>> If a page is being made, that would be great!
>
> Not to my knowledge.  <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#SHTDI>.

Well then, stop confusing me! :-) Or am I confusing myself? Um... THE
HIPPO MADE ME DO IT! Um... yeah...

Anyway. I'd say <a
href="http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=mozclient&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&q=PCYMTNQREAIYR+%22outlook+express%22">,
but none of those are that good. Yup, SHTDI and it's not going to be me.
I'd rather just put up a link to Thunderbird ;-).

>> I still think the OLOCA should at least have a link back to such a page,
>> however, for convenience if nothing else.
>
> Quoting myself: "I've already offered to put a link to a page that strived
> to become a comprehensive list of solutions to the PCYMTNQREAIYR/TOFU
> problems".  If such a page were created and brought to my attention, I
> will put a link to it into the PCYMTNQREAIYR and TOFU entries in the
> OLOCA.

Yup. Clearly I just can't read. :-)

--
Matthew
If you can't use a real OS, at least use Cygwin to fake one!