* XTerm icon updated?   Re: Updated: xterm-283-1
@ 2012-10-15 17:58 Matt Seitz (matseitz)
From: Matt Seitz (matseitz) @ 2012-10-15 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Did this update change the XTerm icon that is displayed in the Windows task bar?

Previously, when I launched the XWin Server, I would see the x.org logo (a black X with an orange ring) in the task bar as the icon for the XTerm window.  Today, I see the XTerm icon for the XTerm window: a red X with a blue T superimposed over it.

"Yaakov (Cygwin/X)" wrote:
> The following package has been updated for the Cygwin distribution:
>
> *** xterm-283-1
>
> The xterm program is a terminal emulator for the X Window System. It
> provides DEC VT102 and Tektronix 4014 compatible terminals for programs
> that can't use the window system directly.
>
> This is an update to the latest upstream release.
>
> --
>
> Yaakov
> Cygwin/X

* Re: XTerm icon updated?   Re: Updated: xterm-283-1
@ 2012-10-15 21:01 ` Thomas Dickey
From: Thomas Dickey @ 2012-10-15 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 05:58:10PM +0000, Matt Seitz (matseitz) wrote:
> Did this update change the XTerm icon that is displayed in the Windows task
> bar?
>
> Previously, when I launched the XWin Server, I would see the x.org logo (a
> black X with an orange ring) in the task bar as the icon for the XTerm
> window.  Today, I see the XTerm icon for the XTerm window:  a red X with a
> blue T superimposed over it.

yes - from xterm's standpoint it's moderately complicated.

For Xwin Server, I assume that the icon is shown because that's the
window which keeps the server from exiting.

Though I investigated several cases, I didn't consider this particular
one.  xterm now specifies an icon because several of the cases I found
didn't provide any icon at all - a favor from the desktop packagers, it
seems. I did consider providing a special resource value that would
suppress the xterm-specific icon (such as "none" or "default"), but
decided to see what type of feedback I'd get first.

HTH

> "Yaakov (Cygwin/X)" wrote:
> > The following package has been updated for the Cygwin distribution:
> >
> > *** xterm-283-1
> >
> > The xterm program is a terminal emulator for the X Window System. It
> > provides DEC VT102 and Tektronix 4014 compatible terminals for programs
> > that can't use the window system directly.
> >
> > This is an update to the latest upstream release.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Yaakov
> > Cygwin/X
>
> --

Thomas E. Dickey <dickey@invisible-island.net>
http://invisible-island.net
ftp://invisible-island.net

* Re: XTerm icon updated? Re: Updated: xterm-283-1
@ 2012-10-15 21:42 ` Jim Reisert AD1C
From: Jim Reisert AD1C @ 2012-10-15 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 11:58 AM, Matt Seitz wrote:

> Did this update change the XTerm icon that is displayed in the Windows task bar?

Yes, it reminds me of the Texas Rangers logo (American baseball team).

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us

* Re: XTerm icon updated? Re: Updated: xterm-283-1
@ 2012-10-15 22:43   ` Thomas Dickey
From: Thomas Dickey @ 2012-10-15 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 03:42:02PM -0600, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 11:58 AM, Matt Seitz wrote:
>
> > Did this update change the XTerm icon that is displayed in the Windows task bar?
>
> Yes, it reminds me of the Texas Rangers logo (American baseball team).

Looking at that, I'd say not more than 10% (and wasn't inspired by it -
I don't pay much attention to organized sports).

See
	http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.icon.html

(I'll add more to the page, when I'm not working on more urgent things)

--

@ 2012-10-18 16:35   ` Matt Seitz (matseitz)
From: Matt Seitz (matseitz) @ 2012-10-18 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: dickey

> From: Thomas Dickey
>
> I did consider providing a special resource value that would suppress the
> xterm-specific icon (such as "none" or "default"), but decided to see what
> type of feedback I'd get first.

I like having a specific xterm icon in the taskbar to make it clear which X application is actually running.  I was just surprised to see a different icon, and I was curious what had changed to make it appear.  Thanks for the explanation!

* Re: XTerm icon updated?   Re: Updated: xterm-283-1
@ 2012-10-19  0:35     ` Thomas Dickey
From: Thomas Dickey @ 2012-10-19  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Seitz (matseitz); +Cc: cygwin-xfree, dickey