* Cygwin/X NEdit package maintainership
@ 2004-01-02  5:29 Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-01-02  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss; +Cc: cygx

It might be wise if someone from the NEdit project would review the
Cygwin/X NEdit package.  The goal would be to determine if the Cygwin/X
NEdit package has any common or easily detectable platform-dependent bugs.

To download the NEdit source package for Cygwin/X, grab the package from
the following link, or take note of the directory that it is in and find
another mirror in the list at cygwin.com.  You can also use Cygwin's
setup.exe to grab the NEdit source package and it will be automatically
unpacked in /usr/src.

http://mirrors.kernel.org/sources.redhat.com/cygwin/release/XFree86/nedit/nedit-5.4-1-src.tar.bz2

If you grabbed the source package manually, move it to /usr/src and
unpack it with 'tar xjf nedit-5.4-1-src.tar.bz2'.

Check the file nedit-5.4/CYGWIN-PATCHES/nedit.README for information on
which packages are required at build-time.

Build the package with the following set of commands:

./nedit-5.4-1.sh prep && ./nedit-5.4-1.sh conf > conf.log 2>&1 &&
./nedit-5.4-1.sh build > build.log 2>&1 && ./nedit-5.4-1.sh install >
install.log 2>&1

Now you should have a directory full of the .o files that can be used to
make incremental builds if you find fixes that need to be made.

Please carefully note any problems that you find and send them to both
lists that this message was sent to.

Thanks for your help,

Harold

* Re: Cygwin/X NEdit package maintainership
@ 2004-01-02 20:41 ` Nathan Gray
From: Nathan Gray @ 2004-01-02 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss; +Cc: cygx

On Jan 1, 2004, at 9:29 PM, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> It might be wise if someone from the NEdit project would review the
> Cygwin/X NEdit package.  The goal would be to determine if the
> Cygwin/X NEdit package has any common or easily detectable
> platform-dependent bugs.

I don't use windows/cygwin so I can't really comment on
platform-dependent bugs, but I can comment on platform *independent*
bugs, namely building with the wrong version of Lesstif/Open Motif.  As
long as you aren't bypassing any warnings when building NEdit 5.4 (e.g.
defining BUILD_BROKEN_NEDIT) things should be fine on this account.

Cheers,
-n8

P.S.  Props to you for keeping your cool when dealing with the XFree86
project.  Very professional.  Too bad the same can't be said for them.

--

@ 2004-01-02 22:15   ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-01-02 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss; +Cc: cygx

Nathan,

Nathan Gray wrote:

> On Jan 1, 2004, at 9:29 PM, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
>
>> It might be wise if someone from the NEdit project would review the
>> Cygwin/X NEdit package.  The goal would be to determine if the
>> Cygwin/X NEdit package has any common or easily detectable
>> platform-dependent bugs.
>>

> I don't use windows/cygwin so I can't really comment on
> platform-dependent bugs, but I can comment on platform *independent*
> bugs, namely building with the wrong version of Lesstif/Open Motif.  As
> long as you aren't bypassing any warnings when building NEdit 5.4 (e.g.
> defining BUILD_BROKEN_NEDIT) things should be fine on this account.

I didn't have to define BUILD_BROKEN_NEDIT, but I don't think that
check_lin_tif was being built in the default build for Cygwin, so the
version of LessTif is not being checked.  When I built it manually it
showed that 0.93.91 is an untested version, but not a version explicitly
known to be broken.

> P.S.  Props to you for keeping your cool when dealing with the XFree86
> project.  Very professional.  Too bad the same can't be said for them.

I think it would probably be unprofessional to comment on that publicly.  ;)

@ 2004-01-02 23:39     ` Nathan Gray
From: Nathan Gray @ 2004-01-02 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss; +Cc: cygx

On Jan 2, 2004, at 2:14 PM, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> I didn't have to define BUILD_BROKEN_NEDIT, but I don't think that
> check_lin_tif was being built in the default build for Cygwin, so the
> version of LessTif is not being checked.  When I built it manually it
> showed that 0.93.91 is an untested version, but not a version
> explicitly known to be broken.

Interesting.  That means a bug in our build system -- check_lin_tif
should be built on all platforms that are likely to use LessTif.

Scott did a good job of explaining our position on untested LessTif
versions so I won't rehash that here, but I will reiterate that it
would not be wise to distribute an NEdit built against such a LessTif
without extensive testing (e.g. somebody using it for real work for a
week or two).  If you do such testing and find that the version of
LessTif you're using is good then let us know and we'll add it to the
known-good list.

Cheers,
-n8

--

@ 2004-01-03  3:29       ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-01-03  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss; +Cc: cygx

Nathan Gray wrote:

> On Jan 2, 2004, at 2:14 PM, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
>

>> I didn't have to define BUILD_BROKEN_NEDIT, but I don't think that
>> check_lin_tif was being built in the default build for Cygwin, so the
>> version of LessTif is not being checked.  When I built it manually it
>> showed that 0.93.91 is an untested version, but not a version
>> explicitly known to be broken.
>

> Interesting.  That means a bug in our build system -- check_lin_tif
> should be built on all platforms that are likely to use LessTif.

I log my output from builds and I found nothing indicating that it was
built; it would be pretty hard to miss the large message that is
printed.  I also did a search for check_lin_tif.c in my build log and
came up with nothing.  In looking at the Makefiles, I didn't see
anywhere that the target that creates the check_lin_tif executable was
made a dependency of all.

> Scott did a good job of explaining our position on untested LessTif
> versions so I won't rehash that here, but I will reiterate that it would
> not be wise to distribute an NEdit built against such a LessTif without
> extensive testing (e.g. somebody using it for real work for a week or
> two).  If you do such testing and find that the version of LessTif
> you're using is good then let us know and we'll add it to the known-good
> list.

Well, there are likely already tons of people using the package... but I
would feel better if someone would confirm that they did not get any
crashes in a week of heavy use.  Any volunteers to test the NEdit
package on Cygwin/X that is installed via Cygwin's setup.exe?

Harold