* Re: Re: xserv 4.3.0-29  Alt Gr Problem is gone
@ 2003-12-30 14:59 Christoph Leser
From: Christoph Leser @ 2003-12-30 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Harold,

thanks for your immediate help. I did as you suggested and it worked out fine for me:

XWin 4.3.0-29 is now running AND there is no problem with Alt-Gr anymore.

Thanks to you and all the people providing the great cygwin stuff

Happy New Year

Christoph

@ 2003-12-30 21:52 ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-12-30 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Christoph,

Thanks for the confirmation.  I was really hoping that I fixed that
problem for good :)

Harold

@ 2004-01-09 12:51   ` Hans Dekker
From: Hans Dekker @ 2004-01-09 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hi all and Harold,

Sorry for being persistent, but I guess I have to revisit alt-Gr key
problem using a Spanish keyboard.

Just tried xserv version 4.3.0-30 (I used the 4.3.0-21 before), and
starting X-windows in either a xfree bash shell as well as the CDE
environment xmodmap tells me that I have only 2 definitions per key
(normal key usage and Shift-key combination). So the Alt-Gr definition
is not defined for the keys.

Xf86Config and the es keyboard map have been modified to define AltGr as
Mode_Switch. I tried various startup parameters with the XWin
executable, but no success. I installed xserv 4.3.0-30 over version
4.3.0-21 using the Cygwin setup program. It's running in Windows XP.

I guess there must be a small thing to configure the keyboard usage in
X-Window OK.

But what is it?

Regards, Hans.

@ 2004-01-09 14:57     ` Alexander Gottwald
From: Alexander Gottwald @ 2004-01-09 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree, hans.dekker.ext, xfree86

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Hans Dekker wrote:

> Sorry for being persistent, but I guess I have to revisit alt-Gr key
> problem using a Spanish keyboard.
>
> Just tried xserv version 4.3.0-30 (I used the 4.3.0-21 before), and
> starting X-windows in either a xfree bash shell as well as the CDE
> environment xmodmap tells me that I have only 2 definitions per key
> (normal key usage and Shift-key combination). So the Alt-Gr definition
> is not defined for the keys.

I've just tried

$ setxkbmap es

Pressing AltGr + '1' results in '|'

but xmodmap -pke does not print the extra symbols. So this must be a bug
in xmodmap.

For your problem with spanish layout and CDE (which is most likely a
quite old X11 installation) I'd pass you on to xfree86@xfree86.org.

> Xf86Config and the es keyboard map have been modified to define AltGr as
> Mode_Switch. I tried various startup parameters with the XWin
> executable, but no success. I installed xserv 4.3.0-30 over version
> 4.3.0-21 using the Cygwin setup program. It's running in Windows XP.

bye
	ago
--
 Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723

* Re: xserv 4.3.0-29  Alt Gr Problem is gone
@ 2004-01-13  7:36       ` Hans Dekker
From: Hans Dekker @ 2004-01-13  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree, alexander.gottwald

Sorry, setxkbmap doesn't work, not even in the xterm that is started by
cygwin itself using startxwin.bat.

Defining keys with xmodmap by hand works and xmodmap -pk gives you than
the output with the third definition (= AltGr definition) of a key.

What should I do with the cygwin X-window system to get it running well?

Regards, H.

@ 2004-01-13 15:16         ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-01-13 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hans,

 From a Cygwin bash shell, run 'set' and report the values of any of the
following:

XAPPLRESDIR
XCMSDB
XKEYSYMDB
XNLSPATH

Harold

@ 2004-01-14  7:56           ` Hans Dekker
From: Hans Dekker @ 2004-01-14  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Harold,

There are no such environment variables set.

startxwin.bat was used to start up the bash shell.

H.

@ 2004-01-15 13:45       ` Hans Dekker
From: Hans Dekker @ 2004-01-15 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Gottwald, cygwin-xfree

Still, what's the solution to defining your keyboard correctly *before*
you start Xwin?.

I guess it must be simple, but probably I oversee some configuration
file or anything similar.

Regards, Hans.

@ 2004-01-15 13:51         ` Alexander Gottwald
From: Alexander Gottwald @ 2004-01-15 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cygwin-xfree

Hans Dekker wrote:

> Still, what's the solution to defining your keyboard correctly *before*
> you start Xwin?.
>
> I guess it must be simple, but probably I oversee some configuration
> file or anything similar.

The config file.
http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-xfree-faq.html#q-non-U.S.-keyboard-layout

HTH
    ago

NP: Haujobb - Cleaned Visions

@ 2004-01-15 14:09           ` Alexander Gottwald
From: Alexander Gottwald @ 2004-01-15 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Alexander Gottwald wrote:

> Hans Dekker wrote:
>
> > Still, what's the solution to defining your keyboard correctly *before*
> > you start Xwin?.
> >
> > I guess it must be simple, but probably I oversee some configuration
> > file or anything similar.
>
> The config file.
> http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-xfree-faq.html#q-non-U.S.-keyboard-layout

After I've read your mail again I noticed you're connecting to CDE. CDE uses
an old version of X11 and has problems with the keysymbol for the AltGr key.

Most likely CDE sets the keyboard layout with an extra modmap which does not
work with the 4.3 Release. But so far no one has examined this further or
reported the results.

bye
    ago

@ 2004-03-17 11:49             ` Hans Dekker
From: Hans Dekker @ 2004-03-17 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hello Alexander,

Sometime ago I asked you about the solution of AltGr keyboards. For
HP-UX I found the solution.

I am writing a mail to the user group and would like to mention your
name (if you like) for helping to find the solution.

The text is below.

Tell me if that's OK for you or not.

Regards, Hans.

Hi all,

I posted some questions sometime ago on the problem of using Cygwin in
conjunction with HP-UX 11 CDE and other X-apps. Although xterm and
hpterm were working well after editing with xmodmap, dtterm and our Sas
application -which has an X/Motif/X11R6 interface- weren't.

After researching and finding mails from various user groups, I found
that setting the environment variable XKB_DISABLE=1 is the solution on a
HP-UX 11 platform. Setting this parameter disables Motif XKB
translations and puts Motif apps back to good old X-handling of keyboards.

My suggestion to the editors of the Cygwin manuals would be to put this
at least in the Cygwin documentation, since I saw others in your mailing
lists having this problem.

To get dtterm or your X/Motif application working well with the AtlGr
key on HP-UX 11 use:

start X environment
# XKB_DISABLE=1 dtterm
or
# XKB_DISABLE=1 <your app>

Next, you will need to reassign the AltGr key (thanks to A. Gottwalt and
Philippe Eclair):

xmodmap -e "clear mod5"
xmodmap -e "clear mod3"
xmodmap -e "keycode 113 = Mode_switch Multi_key"
xmodmap -e "add mod3 = Mode_switch"

Then you can modify your keyboard further with xmodmap as desired.

For convenience I added a xmodmap.es.hpux file with the definitions for
a Spanish keyboard. It is a compilation of the definitions found in the
file /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc/es.

You can use xmodmap both on a terminal on your X-server as in the remote
application that is using your X-server.

Beware to use xmodmap with other X-servers like the ones of Linux or
XWin32, since those will have other keycodes mapped to the keyboard!

Following the documentation you can prevent the above xmodmap commands,
changing one of the keyboard configurations included with Cygwin as you
like using the XF86Config file.
In my case I still needed to xmodmap keys with to use their 'third' or
AltGr definition, although others said this wouldn't be necessary and
the keyboard mapping will be brought over OK the the X-server.

I included the file /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc/es for a Spanish keyboard
and added the option "hpux" which is a copy of the "nodeadkeys" options.
Activate it in your XF86Config using:

       Option "XkbLayout"   "es"
       Option "XkbVariant"  "hpux"

       Option "LeftAlt"     "Meta"
       Option "RightAlt"    "ModeShift"
or use this command when you don't have a XF86Config file:

# setxkbmap -layout es -variant hpux

Using Cygwin with HP-UX CDE:

When you are using CDE on HP-UX you can use the following procedure,
which I found on the Internet. Check the solution at
http://aa11.cjb.net/hpux_admin/2000/12/0212.html that came from the
community:

Create the file /etc/dt/config/Xsession.d/0050.disable_xkb with the
following content:

#!/usr/bin/ksh
### File: 0050.disable_xkb
###
### Purpose: disable the XKEYBOARD extension in all R6
### client software.
export XKB_DISABLE=1

and give it the 755 protection.

Then put in the .dtprofile of a user the command to change his/her
keyboard layout:

xmodmap /etc/xmodmap.es.hpux

which contains a copy of the enclosed keyboard mapping.

@ 2004-03-17 12:55               ` Alexander Gottwald
From: Alexander Gottwald @ 2004-03-17 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree, hans.dekker.ext

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Hans Dekker wrote:

> Tell me if that's OK for you or not.

Yes. Looks good. I'll include it in the faq.

> Next, you will need to reassign the AltGr key (thanks to A. Gottwalt and
> Philippe Eclair):

It's Gottwald. With _d_.

bye
	ago