* Chances for llvm / clang update?
@ 2021-04-22  8:31 Andreas Heckel
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Andreas Heckel @ 2021-04-22  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

Is there a chance for an "official" update of clang / llvm. Currently I see v8 here on Cygwin while llvm is now at v12.

I had tried to build v12 in Cygwin by simply running along the instructions on the llvm page. But I failed at a number of options / packages in the past and only got clang and a few tools like clang-format to run under Cygwin. I apologise, but I really have no clue about building anything properly for Cygwin (yet).

Cheers,
Andreas

* Re: Chances for llvm / clang update?
@ 2021-04-22  9:47 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2021-04-22  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Heckel, cygwin

Greetings, Andreas Heckel!

https://cygwin.com/packaging-contributors-guide.html is a good start, I think.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Chances for llvm / clang update?
@ 2021-04-22 11:11 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2021-04-22 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 22.04.2021 10:31, Andreas Heckel via Cygwin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a chance for an "official" update of clang / llvm. Currently I see v8 here on Cygwin while llvm is now at v12.
>
> I had tried to build v12 in Cygwin by simply running along the instructions on the llvm page. But I failed at a number of options / packages in the past and only got clang and a few tools like clang-format to run under Cygwin. I apologise, but I really have no clue about building anything properly for Cygwin (yet).
>
> Cheers,
> Andreas

Hi Andreas,

have you started looking to the current cygwin source package and
patches for hints and guidance ?

Unfortunately the package is without maintainer, and volunteers to take
over are lacking.

https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/clang.html

Motivation/Need is a good starting point for becoming a maintainer,
feel free to post here your issues in trying to compile it;
maybe we can help you

Marco

* RE: Chances for llvm / clang update?
@ 2021-04-22 12:00   ` Andreas Heckel
> have you started looking to the current cygwin source package
> and
> patches for hints and guidance ?

Thank you for your kind hints. :)

> Unfortunately the package is without maintainer, and volunteers
> to take
> over are lacking.

I was not sure on this part. Good to know, for now I was not expecting anything, just being curious. But since I am interested, I will spent some time to look into it at some point. Although I feel not very confident achieving much with my limited knowledge. I will get back to you, once I have concrete questions I can articulate.

@ 2021-04-22 15:08 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-04-22 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2021-04-22 02:31, Andreas Heckel via Cygwin wrote:
> Is there a chance for an "official" update of clang / llvm. Currently I
see v8 here on Cygwin while llvm is now at v12.

> I had tried to build v12 in Cygwin by simply running along the instructions on the llvm page. But I failed at a number of options / packages in the past and only got clang and a few tools like clang-format to run under Cygwin. I apologise, but I really have no clue about building anything properly for Cygwin (yet).

Install the latest llvm and clang *source* packages; and

binary packages: cygport, which pulls in all the usual tools, but also add
cmake, gnupg2, ninja, cygwin-devel, libc++-devel, libc++abi-devel,
libedit-devel, libffi-devel, libllvm-devel, libncurses-devel, libpolly-devel,
libunwind-devel, libxml2-devel, zlib-devel, python3-devel, python3-recommonmark,
python3-setuptools, and python3-sphinx;

change to the llvm source directory containing the llvm.cygport file;

edit llvm.cygport, and bump the major version 1 at a time, e.g. 9.0.1, 10.0.1
11.1.0, 12.0.0, including libllvm{9,10,11,12}, libpolly{9,10,11,12}, and save;

then run:

	$ cygport llvm.cygport download all check

Pay attention to:

any warning or error messages about required packages missing, some of which may
be lib...-devel, which you have to install before retrying the build; and

build errors, which you have to resolve.

After a successful build, you will have binary and source tar and hint files
under llvm-#-1.*86*/dist/llvm/ which you may install on your system using:

	$ tar -xv -C / -f llvm-#-1.*86*/dist/llvm/llvm-#-1.tar.xz

similarly for prerequisite dependencies and corequisite package tars under:

	$ ls llvm-#-1.*86*/dist/llvm/{,*/}*-#-1.tar.xz

as packages are built under a virtual root directory, which you can see under
llvm-#-1.*86*/inst/...

Then repeat the process for clang using each recently built and installed llvm.

* Re: Chances for llvm / clang update?
@ 2021-04-22 15:45   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-04-22 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2021-04-22 09:08, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2021-04-22 02:31, Andreas Heckel via Cygwin wrote:
>> Is there a chance for an "official" update of clang / llvm. Currently I
> see v8 here on Cygwin while llvm is now at v12.
>>
>> I had tried to build v12 in Cygwin by simply running along the instructions on
>> the llvm page. But I failed at a number of options / packages in the past and
>> only got clang and a few tools like clang-format to run under Cygwin. I
>> apologise, but I really have no clue about building anything properly for
>> Cygwin (yet).
>
> Install the latest llvm and clang *source* packages; and
>
> binary packages: cygport, which pulls in all the usual tools, but also add
> cmake, gnupg2, ninja, cygwin-devel, libc++-devel, libc++abi-devel,
> libedit-devel, libffi-devel, libllvm-devel, libncurses-devel, libpolly-devel,
> libunwind-devel, libxml2-devel, zlib-devel, python3-devel, python3-recommonmark,
> python3-setuptools, and python3-sphinx;
>
> change to the llvm source directory containing the llvm.cygport file;
>
> edit llvm.cygport, and bump the major version 1 at a time, e.g. 9.0.1, 10.0.1
> 11.1.0, 12.0.0, including libllvm{9,10,11,12}, libpolly{9,10,11,12}, and save;
>
> then run:
>
>      $ cygport llvm.cygport download all check
>
> Pay attention to:
>
> any warning or error messages about required packages missing, some of which may
> be lib...-devel, which you have to install before retrying the build; and
>
> build errors, which you have to resolve.
>
> After a successful build, you will have binary and source tar and hint files
> under llvm-#-1.*86*/dist/llvm/ which you may install on your system using:
>
>      $ tar -xv -C / -f llvm-#-1.*86*/dist/llvm/llvm-#-1.tar.xz
>
> similarly for prerequisite dependencies and corequisite package tars under:
>
>      $ ls llvm-#-1.*86*/dist/llvm/{,*/}*-#-1.tar.xz
>
> as packages are built under a virtual root directory, which you can see under
> llvm-#-1.*86*/inst/...
>
> Then repeat the process for clang source updates using each recently built and installed llvm.

You can also browse the cygport and patch files required at:

	https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages/?p=git/cygwin-packages/llvm.git
	https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages/?p=git/cygwin-packages/clang.git

and you can git clone those projects from the listed URLs as a basis for
building and upgrading: llvm cygport has already been updated there for 9.0.1.

Once you have installed cygport you can browse the local docs using:

	$ cygstart /usr/share/doc/cygport/html/manual/index.html

for more information on what's going on.

* RE: Chances for llvm / clang update?
@ 2021-04-22 17:14     ` Andreas Heckel
From: Andreas Heckel @ 2021-04-22 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thank you so much for your support. This really takes the edge off the first steps! I instantly started setting up a test environment and also trying to get familiar.

It will still be a steep learning curve for me anyway, but you are very motivating.

Cheers,
Andreas