* Issue while running Visual Studio's devenv through ssh
@ 2015-05-15 19:18 The General
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: The General @ 2015-05-15 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have some code that needs to be built on a windows machine (W), but
my primary development/deploy environment is an Ubuntu server (U). The
goal is to fully automate the build/deploy process so that it can be
kicked off from U.

Before I describe the problem let me explain my process.

U is an Ubuntu 12.04.5 VM running on ESXI
W is a Windows 7 VM (Version 6.1.7601) running on ESXI, it has Cygwin
installed (with the openssl and git packages included) and UAC
disabled.

I am running the following command from U:
ssh win_user@1.2.3.4 'cd
/cygdrive/c/Users/win_user/git_repo/windows_code && ./build.bat'
I have set up public key authentication from U to W, but I also
experience the below issue when I include the '-o
PreferredAuthentications=password' switch.

build.bat is stored locally on W and looks like this:
@echo off
git pull
call "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
10.0\VC\vcvarsall.bat" amd64
devenv /nologo "windows_code.sln" /Build "Release|x64"
The git pull command is pulling changes from a remote git server (G).
I have also set up public key authentication from W to G, disabling
this doesn't seem to have any effect.

The problem:
After I got the above working I took a snapshot of W. If I reset to
that snapshot and run the ssh command on U everything works. If I
leave W idle for a few hours and try again I get the following from
devenv:
1>------ Rebuild All started: Project: windows_code, Configuration:
Release x64 ------
1>  Stdafx.cpp
1>Stdafx.cpp : fatal error C1902: Program database manager mismatch;
please check your installation

Right now I'm at a loss as to why this will work after a snapshot
reset, but will stop working if the machine is left alone for awhile.
Resetting to the most recent snapshot, rebooting the VM, and then
running the ssh command from U will also generate the above error.

A temporary solution is to manually reset the VM before kicking off
the job, but I'd like to figure out why it stops working after awhile.

Any feedback is much appreciated, and if anyone needs more information
please don't hesitate to ask.

* Re: Issue while running Visual Studio's devenv through ssh
@ 2015-05-15 19:25 ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2015-05-15 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 15, 2015, at 1:08 PM, The General <the.third.general@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1>Stdafx.cpp : fatal error C1902: Program database manager mismatch;
> please check your installation

That’s a Visual Studio error, not a Cygwin error.

Perhaps you have this problem:

  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12325096/

If that’s not it, you’ll need to tie this problem to some Cygwin-specific behavior for this thread to be on-topic.

* Re: Issue while running Visual Studio's devenv through ssh
@ 2015-05-18 15:33 ` The General
From: The General @ 2015-05-18 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I am aware that I am getting a Visual Studio error. The reason this problem is
tied to Cygwin is when I log into W, open a Cygwin console, and run build.bat
it works, but when I execute the procedure described below (executing build.bat
from U through ssh using Cygwin's sshd running on W) it fails.

Also, sorry if this shows up as a separate topic, I neglected to subscribe to
the list before posting my previous message. For that reason I've included my
whole post below.

@ 2015-05-22 20:21 ` David Macek
From: David Macek @ 2015-05-22 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 15. 5. 2015 21:08, The General wrote:
> Any feedback is much appreciated, and if anyone needs more information
> please don't hesitate to ask.

Is the error in any way tied to number of previous build invocations?

Not that I have the slightest idea what the problem is, but have you tried comparing ProcMon traces of a successful and an unsuccessful build? Coming at it from another angle, maybe revert to the working snapshot, and get a ProcMon trace (possibly with a reasonably chosen filters and saving to a file instead of memory) of the interval between the working and broken states?

--
David Macek

* Re: Issue while running Visual Studio's devenv through ssh
@ 2015-05-27 12:09   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-05-27 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin