* Re: Running out of ptys
@ 2015-04-09  1:13 Peter Hackett
From: Peter Hackett @ 2015-04-09  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna,

Thank you very much!

Unfortunately I ran into a problem.

Referring to FAQ 2.19. "How do I install snapshots?"  I downloaded:

     2015-04-07 10:25:12 UTC x86_64/cygwin1-20150407.dll.xz

unxz'ed it, and installed it in c:\cygwin\bin

When I tried to run "Cygwin Terminal" I got:

     "mintty.exe - Application Error
      The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)."

Do I need to install "everything"? (E.g. x86_64/cygwin-inst-20150407.tar.xz)

 > On Apr  6 16:21, Peter Hackett wrote:
 > > It looks like the maximum number of ptys under Cygwin is 64.
 > >
 > > I have two 2160x3840 (4K) monitors and I'm running into this limit.
 > > I would like to raise it.
 >
 > The number of ttys is limited by the size of the global shared memory
 > area, 64K.  Right now this shared mem area is not used completely.  We
 > should be able to handle 128 ttys without much of a problem.  I applied
 > a patch for that and uploaded new developer snapshots to
 > https://cygwin.com/snapshots/  Please give it a try.
 >

 > Thanks,
 > Corinna
 > --
 > Cygwin Maintainer                 cygwin AT cygwin DOT com
 > Red Hat

* Re: Running out of ptys
@ 2015-04-09  1:50 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2015-04-09  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Hackett, cygwin

Greetings, Peter Hackett!

Please don't top-post, and teach your mail agent to insert proper threading
headers.

 >> On Apr  6 16:21, Peter Hackett wrote:
 >> > It looks like the maximum number of ptys under Cygwin is 64.
 >> >
 >> > I have two 2160x3840 (4K) monitors and I'm running into this limit.
 >> > I would like to raise it.
 >>
 >> The number of ttys is limited by the size of the global shared memory
 >> area, 64K.  Right now this shared mem area is not used completely.  We
 >> should be able to handle 128 ttys without much of a problem.  I applied
 >> a patch for that and uploaded new developer snapshots to
 >> https://cygwin.com/snapshots/  Please give it a try.
> Corinna,

> Thank you very much!

> Unfortunately I ran into a problem.

> Referring to FAQ 2.19. "How do I install snapshots?"  I downloaded:

>      2015-04-07 10:25:12 UTC x86_64/cygwin1-20150407.dll.xz

Do you actually run 64-bit Cygwin?
uname -a
?

> unxz'ed it, and installed it in c:\cygwin\bin

> When I tried to run "Cygwin Terminal" I got:

>      "mintty.exe - Application Error
>       The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)."

> Do I need to install "everything"? (E.g. x86_64/cygwin-inst-20150407.tar.xz)

Make sure you exit everything Cygwin before installing the snapshot.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Running out of ptys
@ 2015-04-09  2:33   ` Peter Hackett
From: Peter Hackett @ 2015-04-09  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

RE: Really running 64bit?

No. I feel silly. I should have checked that. I just ASSumed that since
I'm running 64bit Windows, Cygwin would be 64 bits.

Really sorry for that "noise".

RE: Please don't top-post, and teach your mail agent to insert proper threading headers.

I think I understand "top-post" but I'm not sure about "[teaching my mail agent]"

I currently am receiving cygwin as a digest and I didn't notice the attached .ezm
files. So I went to the web, and copy/pasted the message that Corinna sent.

I'm using Thunderbird. If I just reply to the .ezm file and insert my comments in
the "XXX wrote:" section, will it be OK? Or do I have to remove the "On xyz, xxx wrote:" part

Sorry for not following the list norms. I'm new to the cygwin list.

People have been really helpful despite that. Thank you all for your patience.

Peter "Frickin' newbies! So ignorant." Hackett :-)

* Re: Running out of ptys
@ 2015-04-09  3:05     ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2015-04-09  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Hackett, cygwin

Greetings, Peter Hackett!

> RE: Really running 64bit?

> No. I feel silly. I should have checked that. I just ASSumed that since
> I'm running 64bit Windows, Cygwin would be 64 bits.

> Really sorry for that "noise".

Just to clarify... did it work?
I mean, were you able to run snapshot DLL?
Was your issue resolved by it?

> RE: Please don't top-post, and teach your mail agent to insert proper threading headers.

> I think I understand "top-post" but I'm not sure about "[teaching my mail agent]"

> I currently am receiving cygwin as a digest and I didn't notice the attached .ezm
> files. So I went to the web, and copy/pasted the message that Corinna sent.

When you receive list as digest, there's easier trick to keep your messages
closer to the thread.
Just reply to your own sent messages! ;)

> I'm using Thunderbird. If I just reply to the .ezm file and insert my comments in
> the "XXX wrote:" section, will it be OK? Or do I have to remove the "On xyz, xxx wrote:" part

Probably. I'm not familiar with digest mode.
Frankly, despite marked as "high volume", the list only see about 10-15
messages a day on average.

> Sorry for not following the list norms. I'm new to the cygwin list.

> People have been really helpful despite that. Thank you all for your patience.

> Peter "Frickin' newbies! So ignorant." Hackett :-)

Now, don't be so hard on yourself.
We only request what we see as good for many.
Threading is really important, when you search the list archives. Detached
replies make it hard enough to follow live discussion, and nearly impossible
to find heads of tails in the archive.
And upside-down quoting is... just... not natural.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

@ 2015-04-09  3:17     ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2015-04-09  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, 2015-04-08 at 19:53 -0700, Peter Hackett wrote:
>  > I applied a patch for that and uploaded new developer snapshots to
>  > https://cygwin.com/snapshots/  Please give it a try.
>
> I tried the 32 version of the DLL and it worked perfectly. I was able to
> create 128 mintty's
>
> Thank you.
>
> Will this patch go into the standard Cygwin build?

Yes, whenever the cygwin package is next released.

--
Yaakov

* Re: Running out of ptys
@ 2015-04-09  2:53   ` Peter Hackett
From: Peter Hackett @ 2015-04-09  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2015-04-07 10:30 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-04-07 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Apr  6 16:21, Peter Hackett wrote:
> It looks like the maximum number of ptys under Cygwin is 64.
>
> I have two 2160x3840 (4K) monitors and I'm running into this limit.
> I would like to raise it.

The number of ttys is limited by the size of the global shared memory
area, 64K.  Right now this shared mem area is not used completely.  We
should be able to handle 128 ttys without much of a problem.  I applied
a patch for that and uploaded new developer snapshots to
https://cygwin.com/snapshots/  Please give it a try.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: Running out of ptys
@ 2015-04-07  0:50 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2015-04-07  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Hackett, cygwin

Greetings, Peter Hackett!

> It looks like the maximum number of ptys under Cygwin is 64.

> I have two 2160x3840 (4K) monitors and I'm running into this limit.
> I would like to raise it.

> After googling around,

> I found:  https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2010-12/msg00357.html

> Where someone asks about how to increase the number of ptys. And
> a reply said that the limit is hard-coded. The reply says "You'd have
> to rebuild the Cygwin DLL to change it."

> How hard is it  to build the Cygwin DLL?

It isn't hard at all, even if time-consuming at first.
Just read the instructions and very carefully follow them.
I were able to build Cygwin with no C/C++ experience at all.

> Is it something that journeyman C++ programmer without any kernel
> experience could do?

> If so, can someone point in the general direction of something like:

> "So you want to build the Cygwin DLL"

> document (if any.)

You know, this is frustrating? the answer is in the most obvious place and
most obviously titled "How do I build Cygwin on my own?"
http://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.programming.building-cygwin

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin