* Re: cannot execute binary file
@ 2011-11-02 10:04 Edvardsen Kåre
From: Edvardsen Kåre @ 2011-11-02 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: marco.atzeri

On 11/2/2011 9:10 AM, Edvardsen KÃre wrote:

>> Are there any debug options or logs to check when you get "cannot
>> execute binary file"?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> KÃre
>
> - if is it a permission problem you need to check the ACL permissions
>  see getfacl or ACL permission from windows explorer
>
> - if you are missing dll's, you can check with:
>   cygcheck ./nome_of_your_file
>   ldd ./nome_of_your_file
>
> Regards
> Marco

cygcheck ./actual_exec_file

returns a list of dll's - no error message or anything, just a list of
dll's

ldd ./actual_exec_file

returns "ldd: ./actual_exec_file.exe: Excec format error"

Never seen that one before...

Cheers,
Kåre

* Re: cannot execute binary file
@ 2013-12-17 18:59               ` Gerry Reno
From: Gerry Reno @ 2013-12-17 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 12/17/2013 11:27 AM, Gerry Reno wrote:
> On 12/17/2013 07:44 AM, Tim Prince wrote:
>> On 12/17/2013 4:32 AM, Andrey Repin wrote:
>>> Greetings, Gerry Reno!

>>> It do support two _independent_ installations.
>>> This means, each of them have no way to find out about existence of the other,
>>> barring the full disk search.
>>> Yours were not that independent. Likely, them both were listed in $PATH.
>>>

>> This thread reminded me that I faced the similar problem.  Being lazy and not figuring out how to include the path to
>> cygwin1.dll when running Intel VTune profiler, I copied the .dll to the existing PATH, thus breaking the installation
>> when next running setup.
>>
> I checked the PATH and I don't see any cygwin1.dll on the PATH:
>
>     C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>which cygwin1.dll
>
>     which: no cygwin1.dll in (.;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\W
>     bem)

I went and wiped BOTH of these Cygwin installations off the machine and went and installed 2 new installations in the
same directory locations and now both installations work when invoking mintty -e.  So it might have been that one of the
installations was much older and was causing some problem with independent installations.

* Re: cannot execute binary file
@ 2013-12-17 16:27             ` Gerry Reno
From: Gerry Reno @ 2013-12-17 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2013-12-17 12:44           ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2013-12-17 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

--
Tim Prince

* Re: cannot execute binary file
@ 2013-12-17  9:35         ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2013-12-17  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerry Reno, cygwin

Greetings, Gerry Reno!

> I just got finished installing Cygwin on another machine and this time the -c does work.  So I went back and looked at
> the original machine.  There are 2 cygwin installations on that machine in different directories. I had forgotten that
> Cygwin got installed a while back on this machine to support some app that needed it.  So somehow having 2 different
> installations breaks this mintty -e capability.  Does this qualify as a bug?  Is Cygwin supporting 2 independent
> installations?

It do support two _independent_ installations.
This means, each of them have no way to find out about existence of the other,
barring the full disk search.
Yours were not that independent. Likely, them both were listed in $PATH.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: cannot execute binary file
@ 2013-12-17  2:58       ` Gerry Reno
From: Gerry Reno @ 2013-12-17  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2013-12-17  2:39     ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2013-12-17  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 12/16/2013 7:32 PM, Gerry Reno wrote:
> On 12/16/2013 07:27 PM, Max Polk wrote:
>> On 12/16/2013 5:55 PM, Gerry Reno wrote:
>>>       /usr/bin/ls: /usr/bin/ls: cannot execute binary file
>>>       /bin/bash: Exit 126
>>>

>>> This is the error that greets me when I try to execute a command in cygwin from a Windows Command Prompt like so:
>>>
>>>       C:\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe -h always /bin/bash -l ls
>>>
>>> This was after installing a new version of Cygwin today.  So I wiped it and installed it again and got the same error
>>> again.
>>>
>>> This used to work because I've called my own scripts this way before.  Is there some new way of doing this?
>>>

>> If you provide a "minus c" option, it will work:
>>
>> C:\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe -h always -e /bin/bash -l -c ls
>>

> I just tried it with -c and all it gives you is a totally blank window.
>
> Tried a bunch of other commands using the -c and same thing.  Just a blank window.

In that case, there's something in your installation that isn't quite right.
The above suggestion resolves the issue you described just fine for me.  If
you're still experiencing the problem when you use the '-c' flag and need to
consult with the list further on this issue, I recommend following the
problem reporting guidelines found at the link below with your next message:

Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2013-12-17  0:32   ` Gerry Reno
From: Gerry Reno @ 2013-12-17  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 12/16/2013 07:27 PM, Max Polk wrote:
> On 12/16/2013 5:55 PM, Gerry Reno wrote:
>>      /usr/bin/ls: /usr/bin/ls: cannot execute binary file
>>      /bin/bash: Exit 126
>>

>> This is the error that greets me when I try to execute a command in cygwin from a Windows Command Prompt like so:
>>
>>      C:\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe -h always /bin/bash -l ls
>>
>> This was after installing a new version of Cygwin today.  So I wiped it and installed it again and got the same error
>> again.
>>
>> This used to work because I've called my own scripts this way before.  Is there some new way of doing this?
>>

> If you provide a "minus c" option, it will work:
>
> C:\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe -h always -e /bin/bash -l -c ls

I just tried it with -c and all it gives you is a totally blank window.

Tried a bunch of other commands using the -c and same thing.  Just a blank window.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

* Re: cannot execute binary file
@ 2013-12-17  0:27 ` Max Polk
From: Max Polk @ 2013-12-17  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 12/16/2013 5:55 PM, Gerry Reno wrote:
>      /usr/bin/ls: /usr/bin/ls: cannot execute binary file
>      /bin/bash: Exit 126
>

> This is the error that greets me when I try to execute a command in cygwin from a Windows Command Prompt like so:
>
>      C:\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe -h always /bin/bash -l ls
>
> This was after installing a new version of Cygwin today.  So I wiped it and installed it again and got the same error again.
>
> This used to work because I've called my own scripts this way before.  Is there some new way of doing this?

If you provide a "minus c" option, it will work:

C:\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe -h always -e /bin/bash -l -c ls

* cannot execute binary file
@ 2013-12-16 22:55 Gerry Reno
From: Gerry Reno @ 2013-12-16 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2012-09-21 13:06   ` RobF
From: RobF @ 2012-09-21 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 21/09/2012 08:53, Csaba Raduly wrote:

> ls.exe is in the coreutils package. Try reinstalling that.
>
> Out of curiosity, what is the output of
>
> file /usr/bin/ls
>
> Csaba

Thx for the replies.  I ended up reinstalling the entire installation
because I'd managed to fill up the top-level directory with tons of
files (and directories) due to an error in a bash script, which may have
had something to do with it.

* Re: cannot execute binary file
@ 2012-09-21  8:27 ` Csaba Raduly
From: Csaba Raduly @ 2012-09-21  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2012-09-21  7:54 ` P.Long
From: P.Long @ 2012-09-21  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 9/20/2012 6:07 PM, RobF wrote:
> Seemingly spontaneously, my ls command has stopped working.
>
> $ ls
> -bash: /usr/bin/ls: cannot execute binary file
>
> I tried reinstalling bash and that didn't help.  Any suggestions?

Rob:

there could be any number of reasons "ls" won't run.  U can't check the
permissions using "ls," but U can check the DACLs using "icacls.exe" or
"cacls.exe" (or, if it still works, "getfacl").  if U're more of a GUI
guy, U can also check the "Security" tab of the Property sheet in
Explorer.

					tanstaafl

* cannot execute binary file
@ 2012-09-21  4:23 RobF
From: RobF @ 2012-09-21  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2011-11-02 11:01         ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2011-11-02 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/2/2011 3:41 AM, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 11/2/2011 9:10 AM, Edvardsen KÃ¥re wrote:
>>
>> Are there any debug options or logs to check when you get "cannot
>> execute binary file"?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> KÃ¥re
>
> - if is it a permission problem you need to check the ACL permissions
> see getfacl or ACL permission from windows explorer
>
> - if you are missing dll's, you can check with:
> cygcheck ./nome_of_your_file
> ldd ./nome_of_your_file

An additional thought is to use strace to see the exact
sequence of OS calls and results. You would strace bash
and type your command at bash, then examine the strace
output ...

Eliot Moss

* Re: cannot execute binary file
@ 2011-11-02  8:42       ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2011-11-02  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2011-11-02  8:11     ` Edvardsen Kåre
From: Edvardsen Kåre @ 2011-11-02  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: moss

       [not found] ` <4EAFE5F0.7090404@cs.umass.edu>
@ 2011-11-01 14:32   ` Edvardsen Kåre
From: Edvardsen Kåre @ 2011-11-01 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: moss; +Cc: cygwin

On ti., 2011-11-01 at 07:28 -0500, Eliot Moss wrote:
> On 11/1/2011 5:24 AM, Edvardsen Kåre wrote:
> > I've built from source (gfortran) an application that won't run (cannot
> > execute binary file) and the "file" command prompts: PE32 executable
> > (console) Intel 80386, for MS Windows. (Yes, chmod 755 is set for the
> > executable...)
>
> Here's a wondering: Are the necessary dll's installed properly?
> Maybe you would see this if the program cannot link its libraries
> during startup ...
>
> Regards -- Eliot Moss

I tried installing everything from scratch and same disappointing
result. My next try will be to install cygwin with an earlier
gcc-version I know works better with my configure scripts. The two
latest verions hangs on $EGREP for some reason...

Cheers,
Kåre

@ 2011-11-01 13:00   ` Edvardsen Kåre
From: Edvardsen Kåre @ 2011-11-01 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: moss; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2011-11-01 10:24 Edvardsen Kåre
       [not found] ` <4EAFE5F0.7090404@cs.umass.edu>
From: Edvardsen Kåre @ 2011-11-01 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I've built from source (gfortran) an application that won't run (cannot
execute binary file) and the "file" command prompts: PE32 executable
(console) Intel 80386, for MS Windows. (Yes, chmod 755 is set for the
executable...)

Funny thing is that I did the same build on a different machine with
sucess. Obviously there are differences between those machines, but I
can't think of what makes the difference here. Well, there is one major
difference: the Cygwin istallation on the sucessfull one is owned an run
as admin. On the other machine the Cygwin installation is non-admin, and
I even renamed the setup file to avoid the question of installation
permissions.

Could the non-successful build be affected by the non-admin
installation?

Are there any debug options here?

Cheers,
Kåre

* Re: Cannot execute binary file
@ 2006-09-07 18:50     ` Arun Biyani
From: Arun Biyani @ 2006-09-07 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thx, very much. There are 2 files there exactly as you state.
Arun

@ 2006-09-07 18:27   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-09-07 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2006-09-07 18:19 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-09-07 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 07 September 2006 19:08, Arun Biyani wrote:

> Recently, I've run into this "cannot execute binary file" problem. I
> have not run this
> program for 3-4 months but before that it would run fine in Cygwin. It
> was compiled
> and linked for Cygwin even though "file" command says linux.

> [rom$:553] m68k-elf-objcopy -O  binary  umon_rom.elf umon_rom.bin
> /bin/m68k-elf-objcopy: /bin/m68k-elf-objcopy: cannot execute binary file
> [rom$:554] file /bin/m68k-elf-objcopy
> /bin/m68k-elf-objcopy: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1
> (SYSV),
>  for GNU/Linux 2.2.5, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for
> GNU/Linux 2.2.5, stripped

  No.  No way on earth did it ever run that file.  If the file command says
linux, then it IS linux.  You must have overwritten your cygwin version at
some stage with a linux version.

>  Session
> transcript
> below. Does anyone know if I can download a pre-built gcc toolchain for
> Cygwin?

  I don't know of any but it's probably there are some out there, but if your
compiler works and it's only your binutils you've got problems with, it's
trivially easy to build cross-binutils from source on cygwin.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Cannot execute binary file
@ 2006-09-07 18:08 Arun Biyani