* Terminfo bug in screen-256color
@ 2015-07-20  7:16 Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-07-20  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Now that mintty has been updated, a terminfo bug in the screen-256color
entry described here

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10535432/tmux-man-page-search-highlighting

is showing up.  The symptoms are getting italics where standout / inverse
video is requested.  I've implemented the solution #1 (compiling a corrected
terminfo file) and everything works correctly now.  Would it be possible to
correct the terminfo database on Cygwin?

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Terminfo bug in screen-256color
@ 2015-10-20 17:19 ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2015-10-20 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, 2015-07-20 at 07:15 +0000, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Now that mintty has been updated, a terminfo bug in the screen-256color
> entry described here
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10535432/tmux-man-page-search-highlighting
>
> is showing up.  The symptoms are getting italics where standout / inverse
> video is requested.  I've implemented the solution #1 (compiling a corrected
> terminfo file) and everything works correctly now.  Would it be possible to
> correct the terminfo database on Cygwin?

Can you confirm that this patch contains the necessary changes:

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/ncurses.git/tree/ncurses-kbs.patch

--
Yaakov

* Re: Terminfo bug in screen-256color
@ 2015-10-20 18:53   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-10-20 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Yaakov Selkowitz writes:
> On Mon, 2015-07-20 at 07:15 +0000, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> Now that mintty has been updated, a terminfo bug in the screen-256color
>> entry described here
>>
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10535432/tmux-man-page-search-highlighting
>>
>> is showing up.  The symptoms are getting italics where standout / inverse
>> video is requested.  I've implemented the solution #1 (compiling a corrected
>> terminfo file) and everything works correctly now.  Would it be possible to
>> correct the terminfo database on Cygwin?
>
> Can you confirm that this patch contains the necessary changes:
>
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/ncurses.git/tree/ncurses-kbs.patch

The solution I used was different IIRC, but I'll have to dig out the
details.

@ 2015-10-20 19:03     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-10-20 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Achim Gratz writes:
>> Can you confirm that this patch contains the necessary changes:
>>
>> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/ncurses.git/tree/ncurses-kbs.patch
>
> The solution I used was different IIRC, but I'll have to dig out the
> details.

I've compiled my own terminfo file for screen, the recipe copied below
from the tmux FAQ:

Screen's terminfo description lacks italics mode and has standout mode in its
place, but using the same escape sequence that urxvt uses for italics. This
means applications (like vim) looking for italics will not find it and might
turn to reverse in its place, while applications (like less) asking for
standout will end up with italics instead of reverse. To make applications
aware that tmux supports italics and to use a proper escape sequence for
standout, you'll need to create a new terminfo file with modified sgr, smso,
rmso, sitm and ritm entries:

	$ mkdir $HOME/.terminfo/
	$ screen_terminfo="screen"
	$ infocmp "$screen_terminfo" | sed \
	  -e 's/^screen[^|]*|[^,]*,/screen-it|screen with italics support,/' \
	  -e 's/%?%p1%t;3%/%?%p1%t;7%/' \
	  -e 's/smso=[^,]*,/smso=\\E[7m,/' \
	  -e 's/rmso=[^,]*,/rmso=\\E[27m,/' \
	  -e '$s/$/ sitm=\\E[3m, ritm=\\E[23m,/' > /tmp/screen.terminfo
	$ tic /tmp/screen.terminfo

And tell tmux to use it in ~/.tmux.conf:

	set -g default-terminal "screen-it"

If your terminal supports 256 colors, use:

	$ screen_terminfo="screen-256color"

instead of "screen". See the FAQ entry about 256 colors support for more info.
Also note that tmux will still display reverse video on terminals that do not
support italics.

I don't know much about these things, but it seems that the patch you're
linking to deals with the interpretation of the backspace key in certain
situations?

@ 2015-10-20 21:02       ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2015-10-20 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, 2015-10-20 at 21:03 +0200, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Achim Gratz writes:
> >> Can you confirm that this patch contains the necessary changes:
> >>
> >> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/ncurses.git/tree/ncurses-kbs.patch
> >
> > The solution I used was different IIRC, but I'll have to dig out the
> > details.
>
> I don't know much about these things, but it seems that the patch you're
> linking to deals with the interpretation of the backspace key in certain
> situations?

You are correct, that patch is unrelated.  However, it turns out that
ncurses-6.0 ships with new 'tmux' and 'tmux-256color' terminfos, which
appear to include the settings indicated in said FAQ.  tmux should use
these instead of the screen terminfos.

I'm in the process of triple-checking that I have the correct options to
avoid ABI breakage in ncurses-6.0, at which point I'll upload and you
can use these instead.

--
Yaakov