* [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: coreutils-8.25-1
@ 2016-03-09  0:04 Eric Blake (cygwin)
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Eric Blake (cygwin) @ 2016-03-09  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

A new release of coreutils, 8.25-1, has been uploaded, and will be
available soon from your favorite mirror.  This leaves 8.24-3 as the
previous version.

NEWS:
=====
This is a new upstream release.  For upstream details, see
/usr/share/doc/coreutils/NEWS.  Downstream, this build fixes an upstream
bug introduced in 8.24 that might have caused cp, mv, and install to
misbehave depending on the result of ACL operations.

Note that this release also includes an upstream change in default
behavior in 'ls' when dealing with non-portable filenames: such files
are now quoted unambiguously on the terminal (no change when sent to a
file or pipeline).  There have already been a lot of complaints upstream
about the new quoting, and an upcoming upstream release may soften the
blow by tweaking the heuristics of how the quoting is done, but I am not
going to deviate from upstream's decision about it being a saner
default.  You can always set an environment variable to your preferred
quoting style if you don't like ls's default.

If you missed the note in 8.23-2, there is no longer an 'su' program in
coreutils; this is an upstream decision (many Linux distros are getting
su from other packages, and even though cygwin's su had come from
coreutils, it was heavily patched and doesn't work as smoothly as on
Linux).  I'm still debating whether it is worth trying to capture the
last release of coreutils' su, as patched to work on cygwin, for
distribution as an independent package; help would be appreciated from
anyone else interested in this task.

If you encounter a regression, please report it here rather than
upstream.  See also the upstream documentation in /usr/share/doc/coreutils/.

I'm also planning to build an experimental coreutils-8.25-2 against the
experimental cygwin 2.5 with its new ACL handling, for those that would
like to test that it won't introduce regressions.

============
GNU coreutils provides a collection of commonly used utilities essential
to a standard POSIX environment.  It comprises the former textutils,
sh-utils, and fileutils packages.  The following executables are included:

[ arch base32 base64 basename cat chcon chgrp chmod chown chroot cksum
comm cp csplit cut date dd df dir dircolors dirname du echo env expand
expr factor false fmt fold gkill groups head hostid id install join link
ln logname ls md5sum mkdir mkfifo mknod mktemp mv nice nl nohup nproc
numfmt od paste pathchk pinky pr printenv printf ptx pwd readlink
realpath rm rmdir runcon seq sha1sum sha224sum sha256sum sha384sum
sha512sum shred shuf sleep sort split stat stdbuf stty sum sync tac tail
tee test timeout touch tr true truncate tsort tty uname unexpand uniq
unlink users vdir wc who whoami yes

UPDATE:
=======
To update your installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link on
the http://cygwin.com/ web page. This downloads setup.exe to your
system. Save it and run setup, answer the questions and pick up
'coreutils' from the 'Base' category.

DOWNLOAD:
=========
Note that downloads from cygwin.com aren't allowed due to bandwidth
limitations.  This means that you will need to find a mirror which has
this update, please choose the one nearest to you:
http://cygwin.com/mirrors.html

QUESTIONS:

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: coreutils-8.25-1
@ 2016-03-09 15:59 ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2016-03-09 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 03/08/2016 05:02 PM, Eric Blake (cygwin) wrote:
> A new release of coreutils, 8.25-1, has been uploaded, and will be
> available soon from your favorite mirror.  This leaves 8.24-3 as the
> previous version.

> I'm also planning to build an experimental coreutils-8.25-2 against the
> experimental cygwin 2.5 with its new ACL handling, for those that would
> like to test that it won't introduce regressions.

Now available.  Please give it a spin, and report any problems you
encounter, so that we can fix coreutils and/or cygwin prior to promoting
this experimental work to current.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: coreutils-8.25-1
@ 2016-03-10  9:47   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2016-03-10  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mar  9 08:59, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 03/08/2016 05:02 PM, Eric Blake (cygwin) wrote:
> > A new release of coreutils, 8.25-1, has been uploaded, and will be
> > available soon from your favorite mirror.  This leaves 8.24-3 as the
> > previous version.
>

> > I'm also planning to build an experimental coreutils-8.25-2 against the
> > experimental cygwin 2.5 with its new ACL handling, for those that would
> > like to test that it won't introduce regressions.
>
> Now available.  Please give it a spin, and report any problems you
> encounter, so that we can fix coreutils and/or cygwin prior to promoting
> this experimental work to current.

Thanks Eric!  I toyed around with it and promptly found two bugs in the
new POSIX ACL API.  An ls -l in my home dir simply hang.  Turned out,
the code was trying to call open(2) on a FIFO to find out if the file
has an extended ACL.  While fixing I found bug 2:  acl_extended_file
is supposed to return 1 if the ACL is extended, 0 if not.  But my
implementation simply returned the number of ACL entries.  I fixed that
right away.  I'll upload a new 2.5.0 test release shorty.

Thanks again,
Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: coreutils-8.25-1
@ 2016-03-11  6:52 ` Mark Geisert
From: Mark Geisert @ 2016-03-11  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Eric Blake writes:
[...a bunch of good news elided...]
> If you missed the note in 8.23-2, there is no longer an 'su' program in
> coreutils; this is an upstream decision (many Linux distros are getting
> su from other packages, and even though cygwin's su had come from
> coreutils, it was heavily patched and doesn't work as smoothly as on
> Linux).  I'm still debating whether it is worth trying to capture the
> last release of coreutils' su, as patched to work on cygwin, for
> distribution as an independent package; help would be appreciated from
> anyone else interested in this task.

I can't answer to whether it's worth saving :-) but if it is, I think I
can help.  Has it diverged enough into Windows-isms that it could fit
under the cygutils umbrella?  Either there or as a separate su package
works for me.

Anybody out there using 'su'?  Speak now, or forever hold the pieces.

..mark

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: coreutils-8.25-1
@ 2016-03-11 14:02   ` Chris Sutcliffe
From: Chris Sutcliffe @ 2016-03-11 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11 March 2016 at 01:52, Mark Geisert wrote:

> Anybody out there using 'su'?  Speak now, or forever hold the pieces.

I would appreciate having a working 'su' command.  I currently make
use of an elevated terminal to do my Admin duties, so having 'su'
would come in real handy.

Cheers,

Chris

--
Chris Sutcliffe

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: coreutils-8.25-1
@ 2016-03-11 23:50     ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2016-03-11 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Sutcliffe, cygwin

Greetings, Chris Sutcliffe!

>> Anybody out there using 'su'?  Speak now, or forever hold the pieces.
>>

> I would appreciate having a working 'su' command.  I currently make
> use of an elevated terminal to do my Admin duties, so having 'su'
> would come in real handy.

Using it for administration would be a security breach.
runas opens a new terminal for a reason.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: coreutils-8.25-1
@ 2016-03-13 17:33   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2016-03-13 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Mark Geisert writes:
> I can't answer to whether it's worth saving :-) but if it is, I think I
> can help.  Has it diverged enough into Windows-isms that it could fit
> under the cygutils umbrella?  Either there or as a separate su package
> works for me.

The way things are on Windows you'd end up with something that's very
close to ssh and I'm not sure that the removal of those parts you don't
really need locally makes enough of a difference to make the exercise
worthwhile.

> Anybody out there using 'su'?  Speak now, or forever hold the pieces.

I'd rather need something akin to sudo most of the time.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: coreutils-8.25-1
@ 2016-03-15 16:27 ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2016-03-15 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Note that this release also includes an upstream change in default
> behavior in 'ls' when dealing with non-portable filenames: such files
> are now quoted unambiguously on the terminal (no change when sent to a
> file or pipeline).  There have already been a lot of complaints upstream
> about the new quoting, and an upcoming upstream release may soften the
> blow by tweaking the heuristics of how the quoting is done, but I am not
> going to deviate from upstream's decision about it being a saner
> default.  You can always set an environment variable to your preferred
> quoting style if you don't like ls's default.

Could you please tell me what environment variable that is?  I've looked in
the ls man page and info file, and they don't say.

Of course one can define a shell alias.  Just wondering if there's an
environment variable that we can use instead.

Thanks,
Andrew

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: coreutils-8.25-1
@ 2016-03-15 18:41   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2016-03-15 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrew Schulman writes:
> Could you please tell me what environment variable that is?  I've looked in
> the ls man page and info file, and they don't say.

info coreutils
m ls
m Formatting the[TAB]

QUOTING_STYLE

Regards,
Achim.

DIY Stuff:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/DIY.html

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: coreutils-8.25-1
@ 2016-03-15 21:02     ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2016-03-15 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Andrew Schulman writes:
> > Could you please tell me what environment variable that is?  I've looked in
> > the ls man page and info file, and they don't say.
>
> info coreutils
> m ls
> m Formatting the[TAB]
>
> QUOTING_STYLE