* CVS problems on 64-bit cygwin
       [not found] <1484485633.2967908.1454040691361.JavaMail.yahoo.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2016-01-29  7:48 ` lloyd.wood
From: lloyd.wood @ 2016-01-29  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm having trouble with pulling from cvs under 64-bit cygwin.

I have parallel 32-bit and 64-bit cygwin installs on a Win7 Enterprise machine.

Under 32-bit cygwin, I do this all the time:
cvs -z3 -d:ext:lloydwood@savi.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/savi co savi-dev

and quite happily; type password at prompt, pull files and go.

Under 64-bit cygwin, this doesn't work; I never get a password prompt.

I see that the cvs versions are different:

Under 64-bit cygwin:
$ which cvs
/usr/bin/cvs

$ cvs -version

Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.11.23 (client/server)

Under 32-bit cygwin
$ which cvs
/usr/bin/cvs

$ cvs -version

Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.12.13 (client/server)

So, different versions, the cvs version under 64-bit Cygwin appears  earlier than the version under 32-bit Cygwin (but I no longer understand FSF version numbering; don't ask me about gcc 5...) but this earlier(?) version has a later year. And, unlike 32-bit, doesn't seem to work.

Something here is very very odd, and I'd appreciate enlightenment.

thanks

Lloyd Wood
http://savi.sf.net

* Re: CVS problems on 64-bit cygwin
@ 2016-01-29  7:51   ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2016-01-29  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 28, 2016, at 9:11 PM, lloyd.wood@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> Under 64-bit cygwin, this doesn't work; I never get a password prompt.

I do.  Sooo…what’s your password? :)  (Kidding.)

> $ cvs -version
>
> Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.11.23 (client/server)

That’s what I’m running, too.

Are you doing this under MinTTY or a Windows console?  If the latter, try it under MinTTY.

* Re: CVS problems on 64-bit cygwin
@ 2016-01-29  8:04   ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2016-01-29  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 29/01/2016 05:11, lloyd.wood@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> I'm having trouble with pulling from cvs under 64-bit cygwin.
>
> I have parallel 32-bit and 64-bit cygwin installs on a Win7 Enterprise machine.
>
> Under 32-bit cygwin, I do this all the time:
> cvs -z3 -d:ext:lloydwood@savi.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/savi co savi-dev
>
> and quite happily; type password at prompt, pull files and go.
>
> Under 64-bit cygwin, this doesn't work; I never get a password prompt.

try with
  CVS_RSH="ssh"; export CVS_RSH

https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-announce/2015-07/msg00054.html

> thanks
>
> Lloyd Wood

Regards
Marco

* Re: CVS problems on 64-bit cygwin
@ 2016-01-29 14:16     ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2016-01-29 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 29, 2016, at 12:43 AM, Marco Atzeri <marco.atzeri@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 29/01/2016 05:11, lloyd.wood@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>>
>> Under 64-bit cygwin, this doesn't work; I never get a password prompt.
>
> try with
> CVS_RSH="ssh"; export CVS_RSH

Good call.  I set CVS_RSH in my .bash_profile so long ago I forgot about it.

This probably explains why the OP sees the problem change when moving from Cygwin 32 to Cygwin 64: he probably doesn’t use the same shell startup scripts in both cases.

* Re: CVS problems on 64-bit cygwin
       [not found] <1407896650.4839290.1454305004793.JavaMail.yahoo.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2016-02-01  5:39 ` lloyd.wood
From: lloyd.wood @ 2016-02-01  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, marco.atzeri, wyml

> > CVS_RSH="ssh"; export CVS_RSH
>
> Good call.  I set CVS_RSH in my .bash_profile so long ago I forgot about it.
>
> This probably explains why the OP sees the problem change when moving from Cygwin
> 32 to Cygwin 64: he probably doesn't use the same shell startup scripts in both cases.

My 32 and 64-bit .bash_profile scripts are identical and the default; I learned long ago
not to waste effort on tweaking individual setups. both 1494 bytes long, both mistyping
'beneficial'. Different MD5 sums, but:

$ diff bash32 bash64
8c8
< # base-files version 4.2-3
---
> # base-files version 4.2-4

However, the CVS_RSH hint worked and fixed the problem on that 64-bit install.
Easy enough to add in a two-line checkout script, but...

I've got another older 64-bit install - again, default scripts - that has never
shown this problem.

There's something very odd here; where else in systemwide scripts
might set CVS_RSH?

thanks

Lloyd Wood
http://savi.sf.net/