* Custom locales seem not to work
@ 2021-06-21 13:23 Алекса -скрыто-
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Алекса -скрыто- @ 2021-06-21 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I noticed that Cygwin-linked applications fail to use the proper language code from a Windows custom locale, and revert to C instead. Is that a bug?

* Re: Custom locales seem not to work
@ 2021-06-21 15:48 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-06-21 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2021-06-21 07:23, Алекса -скрыто- via Cygwin wrote:
> I noticed that Cygwin-linked applications fail to use the proper
> language code from a Windows custom locale, and revert to C instead.
> Is that a bug?
Cygwin automatically tries to pick your locale using Windows system
language, country, and regional settings, if you have set them. Many
Cygwin packages are not localized, do not come with localizations, may
not support certain locales, or may have incomplete translations. For
example, on my system, the following are the only Cygwin programs
installed with Russian localizations (no others are):

$ ls -xw72 /usr/share/locale/ru*/*
/usr/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES:
alacarte.mo                 alternatives.mo
appstream.mo                appstream-glib.mo
aspell.mo                   atk10.mo
at-spi2-core.mo             bash.mo
bfd.mo                      binutils.mo
bison.mo                    bison-runtime.mo
clisp.mo                    clisplow.mo
coreutils.mo                cpio.mo
cpplib.mo                   cygwin32-cpplib.mo
cygwin32-gcc.mo             dialog.mo
diffutils.mo                dos2unix.mo
epiphany.mo                 exif.mo
findutils.mo                flex.mo
gas.mo                      gcal.mo
gcc.mo                      gcr.mo
gdk-pixbuf.mo               gettext-runtime.mo
gettext-tools.mo            git.mo
glib20.mo                   glib-networking.mo
gnome-doc-utils.mo          gnome-keyring.mo
gnome-menus-3.0.mo          gnupg.mo
gnupg2.mo                   gprof.mo
grep.mo                     gsettings-desktop-schemas.mo
gstreamer-1.0.mo            gtk20.mo
gtk20-properties.mo         gtk30.mo
gtk30-properties.mo         gvfs.mo
help2man.mo                 i686-pc-cygwin-bfd.mo
i686-pc-cygwin-binutils.mo  i686-pc-cygwin-gas.mo
i686-pc-cygwin-gprof.mo     i686-pc-cygwin-ld.mo
iso_15924.mo                iso_3166.mo
iso_3166-1.mo               iso_3166-3.mo
iso_4217.mo                 iso_639.mo
iso_639_3.mo                iso_639-2.mo
iso_639-3.mo                isoquery.mo
json-glib-1.0.mo            ld.mo
lftp.mo                     libexif-12.mo
libfm.mo                    libgpg-error.mo
libgsf.mo                   libiconv.mo
libidn2.mo                  libisocodes.mo
libsecret.mo                libsoup.mo
libwnck.mo                  libwnck-3.0.mo
lxappearance.mo             lxappearance-obconf.mo
lxinput.mo                  lxpanel.mo
lxsession.mo                lxtask.mo
lxterminal.mo               lynx.mo
mailutils.mo                make.mo
man-db.mo                   man-db-gnulib.mo
midori.mo                   openbox.mo
osinfo-db-tools.mo          pcmanfm.mo
popt.mo                     psmisc.mo
rpm.mo                      sed.mo
sharutils.mo                tar.mo
tcsh.cat                    texinfo.mo
util-linux.mo               vte-0.0.mo
WebKitGTK-2.0.mo            WebKitGTK-3.0.mo
wget.mo                     wget2.mo
wget-gnulib.mo              whois.mo
xarchiver.mo                xdg-user-dirs.mo
xdg-user-dirs-gtk.mo        xkeyboard-config.mo

/usr/share/locale/ru/LC_TIME:
coreutils.mo

/usr/share/locale/ru_UA/LC_MESSAGES:
tcsh.cat

Which applications do you have problems with, what locale do you wish to
use, and what are your locale settings; try running the command below
and post your input and output (don't worry if some of your output is in
Русский or Кириллица):

	$ for o in -s -u -i -n -f ''; do locale $o; done
	en_US
	en_GB
	en_CA
	en_CA
	en_CA
	LANG=en_CA.UTF-8
	LC_CTYPE="en_CA.UTF-8"
	LC_NUMERIC="en_CA.UTF-8"
	LC_TIME="en_CA.UTF-8"
	LC_COLLATE="en_CA.UTF-8"
	LC_MONETARY="en_CA.UTF-8"
	LC_MESSAGES="en_CA.UTF-8"
	LC_ALL=

so you can see I run Windows system default US English, user default
GB/UK English, input, non-Unicode, and regional formats Canadian English
(and customized some of those settings).

* Re: Custom locales seem not to work
@ 2021-06-21 18:21 ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2021-06-21 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 21.06.2021 um 15:23 schrieb Алекса -скрыто- via Cygwin:
> I noticed that Cygwin-linked applications fail to use the proper language code from a Windows custom locale, and revert to C instead. Is that a bug?
If you define a Windows custom locale, how would you expect it to be
referred to from cygwin, i.e. which POSIX locale name should be used to
be mapped to it and how should this mapping be magically deployed into
cygwin?
I don't think such a mechanism can easily be designed or implemented.
Thomas

* Re: Custom locales seem not to work
@ 2021-06-21 20:06   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-06-21 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2021-06-21 12:21, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Am 21.06.2021 um 15:23 schrieb Алекса -скрыто- via Cygwin:
>> I noticed that Cygwin-linked applications fail to use the proper
>> language code from a Windows custom locale, and revert to C instead.
>> Is that a bug?

> If you define a Windows custom locale, how would you expect it to be
> referred to from cygwin, i.e. which POSIX locale name should be used to
> be mapped to it and how should this mapping be magically deployed into
> cygwin?
> I don't think such a mechanism can easily be designed or implemented.

If the OP is using a Windows supplemental or replacement locale
installation, rather than just customizing the locale information, could
they please export the LDML as UTF8 text and attach it to their post.
If the locale identifiers are sufficiently non-standard, they would
require a custom mapping in Cygwin.

* RE: Custom locales seem not to work
@ 2021-06-22  8:50 ` Алекса -скрыто-
From: Алекса -скрыто- @ 2021-06-22  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

The locale provides the necessary codes, so I don't see the issue.

​    <special xmlns:msLocale="http://schemas.microsoft.com/globalization/2004/08/carib/ldml">
      <msLocale:cultureInfoVersion type="3.0" />
      <msLocale:cultureAndRegionInfoName type="ie-XX" />
      <msLocale:geoId>223</msLocale:geoId>
      <msLocale:countryCode>41</msLocale:countryCode>
      <msLocale:parentName type="fr-CH" />
      <msLocale:languageNameAbbr type="INE" />
      <msLocale:languageIsoName type="threeLetters">ile</msLocale:languageIsoName>
      <msLocale:languageIsoName type="twoLetters">ie</msLocale:languageIsoName>
      <msLocale:nativeName type="Interlingue" />
      <msLocale:regionEnglishName type="Worldwide" />
      <msLocale:regionNativeName type="Panmundal" />
      <msLocale:regionIsoName type="threeLetters">XXX</msLocale:regionIsoName>
      <msLocale:regionIsoName type="twoLetters">XX</msLocale:regionIsoName>
      <msLocale:regionWindowsName type="threeLetters">XXX</msLocale:regionWindowsName>
      <msLocale:englishName type="Interlingue (Occidental)" />
      <msLocale:sortName type="en-US" />
      <msLocale:sortGuid type="{00000001-57EE-1E5C-00B4-D0000BB1E11E}" />
      <msLocale:codePagesName type="fr-CH" />
      <msLocale:englishLanguage type="Interlingue" />
      <msLocale:nativeLanguage type="Interlingue" />
      <msLocale:keyboardsToInstall type="100c:00020409" />
    </special>
  </identity>

* Re: Custom locales seem not to work
@ 2021-06-22 18:32   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-06-22 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2021-06-22 02:50, Алекса -скрыто- via Cygwin wrote:
> The locale provides the necessary codes, so I don't see the issue.
>
> ​    <special xmlns:msLocale="http://schemas.microsoft.com/globalization/2004/08/carib/ldml">
>        <msLocale:cultureInfoVersion type="3.0" />
>        <msLocale:cultureAndRegionInfoName type="ie-XX" />
>        <msLocale:geoId>223</msLocale:geoId>
>        <msLocale:countryCode>41</msLocale:countryCode>
>        <msLocale:parentName type="fr-CH" />
>        <msLocale:languageNameAbbr type="INE" />
>        <msLocale:languageIsoName type="threeLetters">ile</msLocale:languageIsoName>
>        <msLocale:languageIsoName type="twoLetters">ie</msLocale:languageIsoName>
>        <msLocale:nativeName type="Interlingue" />
>        <msLocale:regionEnglishName type="Worldwide" />
>        <msLocale:regionNativeName type="Panmundal" />
>        <msLocale:regionIsoName type="threeLetters">XXX</msLocale:regionIsoName>
>        <msLocale:regionIsoName type="twoLetters">XX</msLocale:regionIsoName>
>        <msLocale:regionWindowsName type="threeLetters">XXX</msLocale:regionWindowsName>
>        <msLocale:englishName type="Interlingue (Occidental)" />
>        <msLocale:sortName type="en-US" />
>        <msLocale:sortGuid type="{00000001-57EE-1E5C-00B4-D0000BB1E11E}" />
>        <msLocale:codePagesName type="fr-CH" />
>        <msLocale:englishLanguage type="Interlingue" />
>        <msLocale:nativeLanguage type="Interlingue" />
>        <msLocale:keyboardsToInstall type="100c:00020409" />
>      </special>
>    </identity>

I have never seen ie used as a language code under Linux systems, and it
is interlingual, associated with unspecified territory code XX, so you
would have to set each locale category separately to achieve the desired
effects: fr_CH or en_US.

What does Cygwin show when you run the locale dump command I posted
under a shell:

@ 2021-06-26 14:58   ` Алекса -скрыто-
From: Алекса -скрыто- @ 2021-06-26 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> I have never seen ie used as a language code under Linux systems, and it
> is interlingual, associated with unspecified territory code XX, so you
> would have to set each locale category separately to achieve the desired
> effects: fr_CH or en_US.

... the locale should be set to "ie_XX.UTF-8", which the locale data provides, not "C" like Cygwin does now.

* Re: Custom locales seem not to work
@ 2021-06-26 19:29     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-06-26 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2021-06-26 08:58, Алекса -скрыто- via Cygwin wrote:
>> I have never seen ie used as a language code under Linux systems, and it
>> is interlingual, associated with unspecified territory code XX, so you
>> would have to set each locale category separately to achieve the desired
>> effects: fr_CH or en_US.

> ... the locale should be set to "ie_XX.UTF-8", which the locale data provides, not "C" like Cygwin does now.

Which are non-interoperable Windows-only totally meaningless language
and territory values to Cygwin startup or any Cygwin, Linux, or Unix
program based on Unix libraries or code, so everything might map to the
system default locale at best, or hardwired built-in C/POSIX locale at
worst.

That custom locale would be better if developed as a fr_CH replacement
or supplementary Windows locale.

* Re: Custom locales seem not to work
@ 2021-06-26 20:10       ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-06-26 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2021-06-26 13:29, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2021-06-26 08:58, Алекса -скрыто- via Cygwin wrote:
>>> I have never seen ie used as a language code under Linux systems, and it
>>> is interlingual, associated with unspecified territory code XX, so you
>>> would have to set each locale category separately to achieve the desired
>>> effects: fr_CH or en_US.
>
>> ... the locale should be set to "ie_XX.UTF-8", which the locale data
>> provides, not "C" like Cygwin does now.

If you setup non-interoperable custom locales, it is likely that Cygwin
may not be seeing anything it can map, so will default to the hardwired
built-in C/POSIX locale.

You need to help us diagnose what, if anything, Cygwin may be seeing
from your custom Windows locale.

What does Cygwin show when you run the locale dump command from a shell:

     $ for o in -s -u -i -n -f ''; do locale $o; done

> Which are non-interoperable Windows-only totally meaningless language
> and territory values to Cygwin startup or any Cygwin, Linux, or Unix
> program based on Unix libraries or code, so everything might map to the
> system default locale at best, or hardwired built-in C/POSIX locale at
> worst.
>
> That custom locale would be better if developed as a fr_CH replacement
> or supplementary Windows locale.

It might also help if you followed the Cygwin problem reporting guidelines:

	https://cygwin.com/problems.html

and attached the required output as plain text to your next response.