* offline cygwin install question
@ 2013-06-27  2:35 LMH
From: LMH @ 2013-06-27  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have a win7 64-bit machine that is not online and I want to update the
cygwin install. What is the best method for doing this? Can I just copy
the current cygwin install off of my XP 32-bit machine and drop it into
the 64-bit win7 rig, or will that create a problem?

LMH

* Re: offline cygwin install question
@ 2013-06-27  2:40 ` wynfield
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: wynfield @ 2013-06-27  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ask Microsoft if Microsoft XP 32 bit code will run on Microsoft 64 bit systems.
Should work. But, not a good idea.

Why not, be smart and download the cygwin setup.exe and packages specifically built for 64-bit systems and then transer it over to your non-connected 64 bit machine with a flash memory stick of suitable capacity.

Or if you wnat simply swap the internet connect calbe to your 64-bit machine, do the downloading and then restore it.

Cheers

@ 2013-06-27  4:49   ` LMH
From: LMH @ 2013-06-27  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I don't remember how I installed the cygwin package that is on that
machine now, that's one reason I'm asking. I have only ever seen one
cygwin setup.exe file. I have always just downloaded it and ran the
installer. How would I go about downloading the specific 64-bit packages?

LMH

@ 2013-06-27  8:32   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2013-06-27  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 11:35:29AM +0900, wynfield@gmail.com wrote:

>Ask Microsoft if Microsoft XP 32 bit code will run on Microsoft 64 bit systems.
>Should work. But, not a good idea.

Of course it will work.  32-bit Cygwin was the default for fifteen years
or so.  It was the only alternative for 64-bit systems.

(Yes, I know that some rare 64-bit systems don't run WOW64 and so 32-bit
binaries won't work)

I'd suggest something like:

From the CMD prompt:

u:				# or whatever your usb device is
tar -cjf cygwin.tar.bz2 -C / .	# back up everything
ldd /bin/tar.exe		# note cygwin dlls
cp /bin/tar.exe /bin/cygwin1.dll <whatever other dlls tar needs> .

Then put the usb stick in the other system and:

u:
./tar xjf cygwin.tar.bz2 -C /cygdrive/c

I haven't tried this but something like the above should work.

This won't reinstall any services that you've started or create any desktop
icons.  You'll have to do that by hand.  Or, maybe just run setup.exe, do
a local install, and don't install anything.  Just wait for the end dialog
which asks if you want to set up the icons.

cgf

* Re: offline cygwin install question
@ 2013-06-27  8:33 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2013-06-27  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jun 26 16:16, LMH wrote:
> I have a win7 64-bit machine that is not online and I want to update
> the cygwin install. What is the best method for doing this? Can I
> just copy the current cygwin install off of my XP 32-bit machine and
> drop it into the 64-bit win7 rig, or will that create a problem?

The easiest way, especially if you have more than one machine, is
IMHO to create a local mirror of the Cygwin distro first:

  <Check if you have at least 30 Gigs of free space>
  mkdir cygwin
  rsync -av --delete-after cygwin.com:cygwin/ cygwin

This creates a local mirror of the 32 and 64 bit Cygwin versions.
The 32 bit version is more complete and runs on 32 and 64 bit,
as cgf pointed out.

The 64 bit version is not as complete yet as the 32 bit version,
but it's pretty stable already and a mirror of that only takes
9 Gigs:

  mkdir -p cygwin/64bit
  rsync -av --delete-after cygwin.com:cygwin/64bit cygwin/64bit

Copy this stuff over to an USB drive.  If you want to use the 64 bit
release, there's setup64.exe already in the cygwin/64bit directory.
If you want to use the 32 bit release, you also have to copy
http://cygwin.com/setup.exe to the USB drive.

Now, on the offline machine, plug in the USB drive (let's use u: as
drive letter as in cgf's example), and run either setup.exe for 32 bit
or setup64.exe for the 64 bit release.

Note that, if it already *has* a Cygwin install, it's almost 100% sure
that it's the 32 bit release.  So, run setup.exe in this case.

In the second dialog, choose "Install from Locale Directory".

In the fourth dialog, choose U:\cygwin as "Local Package Directory".

The rest should work as usual.

HTH,
Corinna

Red Hat

* RE: offline cygwin install question
@ 2013-06-27 13:08   ` Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E]
From: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] @ 2013-06-27 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

<... wrote:
> I have a win7 64-bit machine that is not online and I want to update
> the cygwin install. What is the best method for doing this? Can I just
> copy the current cygwin install off of my XP 32-bit machine and drop
> it into the 64-bit win7 rig, or will that create a problem?

Do the experiment.

I copy 32 bit cygwin between my desktop and laptop (Windows 7, 64
bit) (using a network drive as an intermediary) and it work fine for
me.  I use xcopy followed by a Windows mirroring utility (mirror -
<http://home.cs.tum.edu/~jain/>) in a cmd batch file.  For a first
install xcopy alone or a copy using Windows Explorer should work
fine.

This all assumes that that both installation are at equivalent
locations, e.g., C:\cygwin.  When I, on occasional, run it from
H:\cygwin, it runs but seems to have problems finding customizations.
I've never tried tracking it down but mounts set in fstab to C: are a
possible problem, as are lack of environmental variables set in
Windows.

Good luck,

- Barry

* Re: offline cygwin install question
@ 2013-06-27 17:00   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2013-06-27 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 10:32:33AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Jun 26 16:16, LMH wrote:
>> I have a win7 64-bit machine that is not online and I want to update
>> the cygwin install. What is the best method for doing this? Can I
>> just copy the current cygwin install off of my XP 32-bit machine and
>> drop it into the 64-bit win7 rig, or will that create a problem?
>
>The easiest way, especially if you have more than one machine, is
>IMHO to create a local mirror of the Cygwin distro first:
>
>  <Check if you have at least 30 Gigs of free space>
>  mkdir cygwin
>  rsync -av --delete-after cygwin.com:cygwin/ cygwin
>
>This creates a local mirror of the 32 and 64 bit Cygwin versions.
>The 32 bit version is more complete and runs on 32 and 64 bit,
>as cgf pointed out.

Yow.  Please don't encourage people to perform high-bandwith-consuming
operations to cygwin.com.  I don't want to have to start limiting rsync
access to cygwin.com because everyone thinks that doing full copies of
the release area is a good idea.

You could use an rsync mirror (see http://cygwin.com/mirrors.html) for
this but this seems like severe overkill for what the OP wanted.
Duplicating their installation from one system to another shouldn't
involve downloading the whole Cygwin release, whether it is 32-bit or
64-bit.

cgf

* Re: offline cygwin install question
@ 2013-06-27 18:25     ` LMH
From: LMH @ 2013-06-27 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have win7 64-bit computers set up in another location. It would seem
that the easiest option would be to make sure that one of those is up to
date and then just tar up the cygwin directory and move it. I have also
found that you can just tar up the local package directory and then run
a local install, but this seems to have issues if there are packages in
the local install dir from more than one mirror.

If I download the normal setup.exe to a 64-bit windows install, will it
automatically install the 4-bit version? have never seen the setup64.exe
that was mentioned in a previous post. Where would that be located?

I have to assume at this point that the cygwin I have running on w7
64-bit installs is the 32-bit version of cygwin, since I didn't do
anything special when I set those up. I know that many 32-bit
applications run perfectly well on a w7 64-bit install. What specific
advantages would there be in running the 64-bit version of cygwin?

The main thing I want to do is to upgrade to the minty terminal and make
sure I am using the most current version of cygwin. I think that the
version on this rig is pretty old.

Thanks for the advice,

LMH

@ 2013-06-27 19:22       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2013-06-27 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 01:52:20PM -0400, LMH wrote:
>I have win7 64-bit computers set up in another location. It would seem
>that the easiest option would be to make sure that one of those is up to
>date and then just tar up the cygwin directory and move it.

>I have also
>found that you can just tar up the local package directory and then run
>a local install, but this seems to have issues if there are packages in
>the local install dir from more than one mirror.

I don't see why.  If the directory is duplicated precisely I don't see
how it could matter.

>If I download the normal setup.exe to a 64-bit windows install, will it
>automatically install the 64-bit version?

No.

>I have never seen the setup64.exe that was mentioned in a previous
>post.  Where would that be located?

64-bit Cygwin is currently still in beta.  setup64 is in the '64bit'
directory on any mirror.  You can't use it to change a Cygwin
installation from 32 - 64 bit though.

cgf

* Re: offline cygwin install question
@ 2013-06-27 20:19         ` LMH
From: LMH @ 2013-06-27 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> I don't see why.  If the directory is duplicated precisely I don't see
> how it could matter.

What I was referring to here was to just copy the cygwin local package
directory that contains setup.exe and the http% mirror directories, not
the directory that contains installed cygwin. When I moved the local
package directory to a new machine and ran setup.exe with install from
local directory, there sometimes were problems.

If there was only one http% directory

/http%3a%2f%2fwww.gtlib.gatech.edu%2fpub%2fcygwin%2f
/setup.exe
/setup.log

(meaning all of the cygwin install on the machine where I took the
setup.exe dir from had been done from the same mirror)

then running setup.exe worked fine and I got a functional cygwin.

If found that if there were several mirror directories,

/http%3a%2f%2fcygutils.fruitbat.org%2fITP%2fmingw-gcc%2f
/http%3a%2f%2fmirror.cs.vt.edu%2fpub%2fcygwin%2fcygwin%2f
/http%3a%2f%2fwww.gtlib.gatech.edu%2fpub%2fcygwin%2f
/setup.exe
/setup.log

then running setup.exe would install only the packages in the last
mirror used and there would be a number of things missing from the
install (like the cygwin.dll). I did this before I knew that I could
just move the entire installed cygwin directory to a different machine.

Regarding this set of instructions,

they seem to be a bit more involved than is necessary. My cygwin install
directory is less than 1GB, so what is the need to use tar? I believe
that when I last re-installed my current OS, I just copied my cygwin
folder to a backup drive and then copied it back to C: after my
re-install. Is there some reason why that is a bad idea?

LMH

@ 2013-06-27 20:47           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2013-06-27 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 04:17:05PM -0400, LMH wrote:
>> I don't see why.  If the directory is duplicated precisely I don't see
>> how it could matter.
>
>What I was referring to here was to just copy the cygwin local package
>directory that contains setup.exe and the http% mirror directories,

Yes, I knew what you meant.

I read your description of the problem but I can't offer any explanation
for it.

>Regarding this set of instructions,
>http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-06/msg00657.html
>
>they seem to be a bit more involved than is necessary. My cygwin install
>directory is less than 1GB, so what is the need to use tar? I believe
>that when I last re-installed my current OS, I just copied my cygwin
>folder to a backup drive and then copied it back to C: after my
>re-install. Is there some reason why that is a bad idea?

Using tar rather than a Windows utility will make sure that things like
symlinks are preserved.  And, a tar file will take up less space and be
quicker to create than duplicated directory structure.

cgf

* Re: offline cygwin install question
@ 2013-06-28 22:05             ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2013-06-28 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 04:47:42PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 04:17:05PM -0400, LMH wrote:
>>> I don't see why.  If the directory is duplicated precisely I don't see
>>> how it could matter.
>>
>>What I was referring to here was to just copy the cygwin local package
>>directory that contains setup.exe and the http% mirror directories,
>
>Yes, I knew what you meant.
>
>I read your description of the problem but I can't offer any explanation
>for it.
>
>>Regarding this set of instructions,
>>http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-06/msg00657.html
>>
>>they seem to be a bit more involved than is necessary. My cygwin install
>>directory is less than 1GB, so what is the need to use tar? I believe
>>that when I last re-installed my current OS, I just copied my cygwin
>>folder to a backup drive and then copied it back to C: after my
>>re-install. Is there some reason why that is a bad idea?
>
>Using tar rather than a Windows utility will make sure that things like
>symlinks are preserved.  And, a tar file will take up less space and be
>quicker to create than duplicated directory structure.

I just saw a comment from Marco in the spam blocker (he sent html email)
which notes:

1) That /cygdrive should be avoided in the tar command.

He's right.  --one-file-system should be added to the tar file creation that
should avoid trying to recurse into /cygdrive, /proc, or /dev.

2) That the USB drive should be formatted as NTFS.

That shouldn't be necessary if you're just using tar and it is another
reason for using tar rather than copying files directory.

FYI.

cgf

* RE: offline cygwin install question
@ 2013-09-08  5:40 R.Penney
From: R.Penney @ 2013-09-08  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

If you want to update, or just freshly install, Cygwin on a system
that does not have a direct internet connection, then you could try
"pmcyg" (http://pmcyg.sourceforge.net).

pmcyg will allow you to maintain a partial mirror of the Cygwin distribution,
together with the installer program, in a form that can easily be burned
to CD or DVD for use on an off-line system.
pmcyg supports both x86 and x86_64 (i.e. 64-bit) versions of Cygwin,
and can be used on Cygwin/Mac/Linux/Windows systems.

RWP