* passwd -R
@ 2014-04-18  5:31 Vijay K Sukthankar
From: Vijay K Sukthankar @ 2014-04-18  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

Hi,

I am trying to decipher how to do some of commands on a cygwin shell
remotely. I am using a Jython script to reset the Admin password and I
understand that I would have to do the following

1) change the password registry entry using passwd -R
2) net user Administrator <new password>

When the command is executed it expects that a re-enter of password which I
dont want. Is there a way I can do echo passwd | passwd -R which would
change the password in registry.

Regards
Vijay Sukthankar
Master Inventor
IBM Software Lab, India

* Re: passwd -R
@ 2014-04-18 11:17 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-04-18 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Apr 18 10:58, Vijay K Sukthankar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to decipher how to do some of commands on a cygwin shell
> remotely. I am using a Jython script to reset the Admin password and I
> understand that I would have to do the following
>
> 1) change the password registry entry using passwd -R

Hang on.  You only need to do this if you use the account for login
purposes where you don't want to give your password, according to
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-setuid-overview

> 2) net user Administrator <new password>

Otherwise this command or just using the Cygwin passwd command without
the -R option is sufficient:

  http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#passwd

> When the command is executed it expects that a re-enter of password which I
> dont want. Is there a way I can do echo passwd | passwd -R which would
> change the password in registry.

That's not provided for.  You could try to give the password twice

  echo -e "${pwd}\n${pwd" | passwd

but no guarantee that it works.  Alternativly you write a tiny tool
which calls the Win32 function NetUserChangePassword:

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: passwd -R
@ 2014-07-25 13:43     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-07-25 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jul 25 13:18, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:
> > 2014-07-24 is such a snapshot, basically what I just upload as 1.7.31-3,
> > plus all the AD integration stuff.
>
> OK.  I'll have to pull from the mirrors and then roll a new snapshot package
> locally.  BTW, the ChangeLog for that snapshot looks like it might have a
> typo in the last date, or is this really from February?

Looks ok.  It's a change in utils.  No worries.

@ 2014-07-25 13:18   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-07-25 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:
> 2014-07-24 is such a snapshot, basically what I just upload as 1.7.31-3,
> plus all the AD integration stuff.

OK.  I'll have to pull from the mirrors and then roll a new snapshot package
locally.  BTW, the ChangeLog for that snapshot looks like it might have a
typo in the last date, or is this really from February?

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: passwd -R
@ 2014-07-25 12:46 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-07-25 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jul 25 12:09, Achim Gratz wrote:
> I've been running with the latest LDAP enabled snapshot from 2014-07-14.
> With this snapshot the "passwd -R" hangs when trying to set or delete the
> password on the server.

That's very likely the problem introduced by changing the default mutex
type and fixed in 1.7.31-2.  The getpass function hangs due to the main
thread's mutex not being a PTHREAD_MUTEX_RECURSIVE.

@ 2014-07-25 12:09 Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-07-25 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I've been running with the latest LDAP enabled snapshot from 2014-07-14.
With this snapshot the "passwd -R" hangs when trying to set or delete the
password on the server.  The snapshot from 2014-07-09 works correctly in