* pulseaudio.exe never have a sound
@ 2015-03-20 11:58 rexdf Rexdf
From: rexdf Rexdf @ 2015-03-20 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I never heard a sound from pulseaudio. Any package using pulse will
have no voice. (etc gstream)

I run some python gst Demo. It plays mp4, the video is quite well with
contrast,brightness,hue,saturation effect. (code from
http://wiki.pitivi.org/wiki/PyGST_Tutorial/Effects and run it from
xterm but not mintty). But no sound.

I tried the MPlayer from cygwinports.org. It had no image. But it did
have sound because it does not use pulseaudio.

If a cygwin program uses the pulseaudio.exe, I can find it from
Windows 8.1 Mixer.

* Re: pulseaudio.exe never have a sound
@ 2015-03-20 21:56 ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2015-03-20 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, 2015-03-20 at 17:40 +0800, rexdf Rexdf wrote:
> I never heard a sound from pulseaudio. Any package using pulse will
> have no voice. (etc gstream)

WFM.

> I run some python gst Demo. It plays mp4, the video is quite well with
> contrast,brightness,hue,saturation effect. (code from
> http://wiki.pitivi.org/wiki/PyGST_Tutorial/Effects and run it from
> xterm but not mintty). But no sound.

Do you have gstreamer*-plugins-pulse installed?

> If a cygwin program uses the pulseaudio.exe, I can find it from
> Windows 8.1 Mixer.

That is correct, PulseAudio uses the WinMM backend on Cygwin because of
limitations of our OSS implementation.

--
Yaakov

* Re: pulseaudio.exe never have a sound
@ 2015-03-21  8:04   ` Rexdf
From: Rexdf @ 2015-03-21  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>> I run some python gst Demo. It plays mp4, the video is quite well with
>> contrast,brightness,hue,saturation effect. (code from
>> http://wiki.pitivi.org/wiki/PyGST_Tutorial/Effects and run it from
>> xterm but not mintty). But no sound.
>
> Do you have gstreamer*-plugins-pulse installed?

Yes, I install all packages including gst*. Audio Lib Dev Video Category.

>> If a cygwin program uses the pulseaudio.exe, I can find it from
>> Windows 8.1 Mixer.
>
> That is correct, PulseAudio uses the WinMM backend on Cygwin because of
> limitations of our OSS implementation.

Does anyone have a demo to show that the pulseaudio.exe can ever work?
 I would prefer python about pygst, but any other language is ok.

If I just use package from cygwin mirrors, I will get the following
error. I rebased many times,it does not work.

0 [unknown (0x2F04)] python2.7 2144 child_copy: loaded dll data write
copy failed, 0x36402000..0x36402044, done 0, windows pid 5768, Win32
error 487

The pulseaudio.exe is always running even when I close the Cygwin/X
and Cygwin.(I can use ps and kill -9 pid or just use windows Task
Manager to shutdown it). Every time I start Cygwin and run a pygst, a
new pulseaudio is spawned. After several times, there will be many
pulseaudio.exe in windows background.

It plays mp4 well, because I install gstreamer0.10-plugins-ffmpeg from
cygwinports.org. The package from cygwin mirrors cannot do that.

I am willing to try something to solve this problem. I would be glad
to make contribution to pulseaudio package if possible. Any suggestion
would be appreciated. Thanks.

* Re: pulseaudio.exe never have a sound
@ 2015-03-21 13:50     ` Mark Geisert
From: Mark Geisert @ 2015-03-21 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Rexdf writes:
> If I just use package from cygwin mirrors, I will get the following
> error. I rebased many times,it does not work.
>
> 0 [unknown (0x2F04)] python2.7 2144 child_copy: loaded dll data write
> copy failed, 0x36402000..0x36402044, done 0, windows pid 5768, Win32
> error 487
>
> The pulseaudio.exe is always running even when I close the Cygwin/X
> and Cygwin.(I can use ps and kill -9 pid or just use windows Task
> Manager to shutdown it). Every time I start Cygwin and run a pygst, a
> new pulseaudio is spawned. After several times, there will be many
> pulseaudio.exe in windows background.

If you aren't following the detailed rebaseall instructions in
/usr/share/doc/rebase/README, please try that.  In particular, make sure
that there are no Cygwin processes or services running and especially no
pulseaudio.exe hanging around when you run rebaseall.  You may also want to
delete your existing rebase database in /etc/rebase.db.<arch> so as to have
rebaseall rebase everything it can from scratch.  Substitute i386 or x86_64
for <arch> as appropriate.

If the above child_copy error still occurs let us know.  Win32 error 487
means "Attempt to access invalid address" which is not something that
normally occurs while rebasing.

If all else fails, if you happen to be running 32-bit Cygwin on 64-bit
Windows 8.1, you could try installing 64-bit Cygwin alongside it.  That
assumes the 64-bit Cygwin has the packages you want to use.  Rebase issues
are much less common there due to the larger address space processes have.
HTH,

..mark

* Re: pulseaudio.exe never have a sound
@ 2015-03-23 10:08   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-03-23 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mar 20 16:52, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-03-20 at 17:40 +0800, rexdf Rexdf wrote:
> > I never heard a sound from pulseaudio. Any package using pulse will
> > have no voice. (etc gstream)
>
> WFM.
>
> > I run some python gst Demo. It plays mp4, the video is quite well with
> > contrast,brightness,hue,saturation effect. (code from
> > http://wiki.pitivi.org/wiki/PyGST_Tutorial/Effects and run it from
> > xterm but not mintty). But no sound.
>
> Do you have gstreamer*-plugins-pulse installed?
>
> > If a cygwin program uses the pulseaudio.exe, I can find it from
> > Windows 8.1 Mixer.
>
> That is correct, PulseAudio uses the WinMM backend on Cygwin because of
> limitations of our OSS implementation.

Is anybody here interested in removing these limitations?  One problem is
that Cygwin only recogizes a single audio device, the current default
device.  It would be cool if somebody with a bit of knowledge in Windows
audio could update Cygwin's /dev/dsp code a bit.

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: pulseaudio.exe never have a sound
@ 2019-03-07 23:59     ` Bobone
From: Bobone @ 2019-03-07 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen-2 wrote
> Is anybody here interested in removing these limitations?  One problem is
> that Cygwin only recogizes a single audio device, the current default
> device.  It would be cool if somebody with a bit of knowledge in Windows
> audio could update Cygwin's /dev/dsp code a bit.
>
> Corinna
>
> --
> Cygwin Maintainer                 cygwin AT cygwin DOT com
> Red Hat
>

> attachment0 (836 bytes)
> &lt;http://cygwin.1069669.n5.nabble.com/attachment/116927/0/attachment0&gt;

Is it so that no matter what library, e.g. OSS or libdao, it is not possible
to address other sound devices?

--
Sent from: http://cygwin.1069669.n5.nabble.com/Cygwin-list-f3.html

* Re: pulseaudio.exe never have a sound
@ 2019-03-08 15:39       ` jwang
From: jwang @ 2019-03-08 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have used mplayer.exe to play mp3 and mp4 et al at least 10 years now :)

--

@ 2019-03-08 19:10       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2019-03-08 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Bobone writes:
> Corinna Vinschen-2 wrote
>> Is anybody here interested in removing these limitations?  One problem is
>> that Cygwin only recogizes a single audio device, the current default
>> device.  It would be cool if somebody with a bit of knowledge in Windows
>> audio could update Cygwin's /dev/dsp code a bit.
>
> Is it so that no matter what library, e.g. OSS or libdao, it is not possible
> to address other sound devices?

Cygwin only has one audio device, namely /dev/dsp -- and that device is
the current default device in Windows.  So no, it doesn#t matter which
library you are using, they will all have to use the same single device.
Corinna was asking for someone to provide code so that any other sound
devices Windows knows about show up under /dev as well.  Only then would
it become possible for libraries to address "other devices".

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: pulseaudio.exe never have a sound
@ 2019-03-08 21:41         ` Bobone
From: Bobone @ 2019-03-08 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thx!
I was hoping for some progress during the past 3-4 years to address the
devices better.
Bob

--

@ 2019-03-09 15:41           ` Corinna Vinschen