* problems with to_string not declared in this scope
@ 2015-10-24 15:37 Luong Hoang
From: Luong Hoang @ 2015-10-24 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I'm getting a compile error using cygwin related to std::to_string method. The error says 'to_string' was not declared in this scope. I have spent a lot of time searching for a solution but did not come up with any. I found this thread https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2015-01/msg00251.html which was previously sent to Cygwin that describes the exact problem I'm facing, although there's no solution. What is the recommendation for resolving this if any has been found?

Here is my configuration and installed packages:
- Cygwin 2.873 (64-bit)
- Already tried compiling with -std=c++0x/c++11/gnu++.
- Gcc-core 5.2.0-1
- gcc-g++ 5.2.0-1
- mingw-gcc-core 4.7.3-1
- mingw-gcc-g++ 4.7.3-1
- mingw64-x86_64-gcc-g++ 4.9.2-2

Thanks,
Luong

* Re: problems with to_string not declared in this scope
@ 2015-10-25  5:32 ` Michael Enright
From: Michael Enright @ 2015-10-25  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 9:28 PM, Luong Hoang wrote:
> The error says 'to_string' was not declared in this scope

Lack of developer attention in the related project newlib. I googled
this myself a couple of weeks ago. Apparently if you start to work on
that you pull in a lot of other little missing tasks including
actually writing the string conversion piece for some of the wider
scalar types.

https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2015-01/msg00049.html is near the
message you reference but I couldn't tell if it was the same thread.

I sometimes wonder what would be involved in fixing this.

* Re: problems with to_string not declared in this scope
@ 2015-10-25 10:32   ` JonY
From: JonY @ 2015-10-25 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/25/2015 01:00, Michael Enright wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 9:28 PM, Luong Hoang wrote:
>> The error says 'to_string' was not declared in this scope
>
> Lack of developer attention in the related project newlib. I googled
> this myself a couple of weeks ago. Apparently if you start to work on
> that you pull in a lot of other little missing tasks including
> actually writing the string conversion piece for some of the wider
> scalar types.
>
> https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2015-01/msg00049.html is near the
> message you reference but I couldn't tell if it was the same thread.
>
> I sometimes wonder what would be involved in fixing this.

Full C99 *printf support. Corinna answered on the same thread
https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2015-01/msg00245.html

* Re: problems with to_string not declared in this scope
@ 2015-10-25 13:03     ` Csaba Raduly
From: Csaba Raduly @ 2015-10-25 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin list

On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 6:31 AM, JonY  wrote:
> On 10/25/2015 01:00, Michael Enright wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 9:28 PM, Luong Hoang wrote:
>>> The error says 'to_string' was not declared in this scope
(snip)
>> I sometimes wonder what would be involved in fixing this.
>>

> Full C99 *printf support. Corinna answered on the same thread
> https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2015-01/msg00245.html

I hacked around this for clang with :

CXXFLAGS += -D_GLIBCXX_USE_C99

(whoops, should have been CPPFLAGS)

Csaba

* Re: problems with to_string not declared in this scope
@ 2015-10-25 21:11     ` Michael Enright
From: Michael Enright @ 2015-10-25 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 10:31 PM, JonY  wrote:

> On 10/25/2015 01:00, Michael Enright wrote:
> >
> > I sometimes wonder what would be involved in fixing this.
> >

> Full C99 *printf support. Corinna answered on the same thread
> https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2015-01/msg00245.html

Yes, but what I was wondering about was the first couple of levels of
detail below that, i.e. which algorithms, having yet to be coded in
newlib, are needed to enable long double textification in newlib? I
know practical methods for textifying integers but as far as I know
floats are harder. Maybe I could use the parable of the stone soup and
get the work rolling by offering a filename? ldtostr.c

* Re: problems with to_string not declared in this scope
@ 2015-10-26 11:15       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-10-26 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Oct 25 11:25, Michael Enright wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 10:31 PM, JonY  wrote:
> >
> > On 10/25/2015 01:00, Michael Enright wrote:
> > >
> > > I sometimes wonder what would be involved in fixing this.
> > >

> > Full C99 *printf support. Corinna answered on the same thread
> > https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2015-01/msg00245.html
> >

> Yes, but what I was wondering about was the first couple of levels of
> detail below that, i.e. which algorithms, having yet to be coded in
> newlib, are needed to enable long double textification in newlib? I
> know practical methods for textifying integers but as far as I know
> floats are harder. Maybe I could use the parable of the stone soup and
> get the work rolling by offering a filename? ldtostr.c

Textifying the numbers is not the problem, there's already the ldtoa
functionality.  Missing the set of long double functions is.  I think
it's not the GLIBCXX_HAVE_BROKEN_VSWPRINTF, but the _GLIBCXX_USE_C99
flag or something like that.  JonY?

It would still be nice if somebody with a bit of math knowledge would
contribute the missing long double functions to newlib.

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: problems with to_string not declared in this scope
@ 2015-10-26 16:28         ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-10-26 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 26.10.2015 um 11:36 schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
> It would still be nice if somebody with a bit of math knowledge would
> contribute the missing long double functions to newlib.

Or switch to musl?

--
Achim.

(on the road :-)

* Re: problems with to_string not declared in this scope
@ 2015-10-27 10:49           ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-10-27 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin