* Re: updated vim broke arrow/delete keys
@ 2016-09-02 21:43 Felipe Vieira
From: Felipe Vieira @ 2016-09-02 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, garyjohn

Dear Gary,

you are absolutely right. Vim is not the problem.

I did two changes at the same time and indeed tried the vim -u none
but maybe did not catch the error.

Finally what causes the error is:

inoremap <esc> <Nop>

no my vimrc. From http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/map.html:

*<Nop>*
A easier way to get a mapping that doesn't produce anything, is to use "<Nop>".

Anyways this is not the expected behavior. Is there some complexity
here that I'm not capturing? In theory I'm disabling the <esc> key and
that's all. Why is it interfering with m arrow keys and the del key?

Best regards,

* Re: updated vim broke arrow/delete keys
@ 2016-09-04 15:19 Felipe M. Vieira
From: Felipe M. Vieira @ 2016-09-04 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Erik,

The motive:
http://learnvimscriptthehardway.stevelosh.com/chapters/10.html
The idea is to force yourself to use a faster escape key.

Gary,

the output of that command:

  timeoutlen=1000
  ttimeoutlen=-1

I guess the final answer is the one from Randy Morris:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/8488232/how-to-disable-esc-and-cursor-keys-in-vim

"In conclusion, don't remap escape, I almost guarantee you will have unexpected consequences."

It feels like <esc> and some other keys are a combination of other keys as Erik
pointed out.

I'm going to send an email to the author of vimscript to add a warning or
something like that.

Thanks for all the help again guys.

Best,
--
Felipe Martins Vieira
Public PGP key: http://pgp.surfnet.nl

* updated vim broke arrow/delete keys
@ 2016-09-02 15:04 Felipe Vieira
From: Felipe Vieira @ 2016-09-02 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dear all,

I just updated my vim and some keys are now broken.

I'm trying both versions of vim:
vim-7.4.2181-1.tar.xz 07-Aug-2016 21:13 1062348
and
vim-7.4.1990-1.tar.xz                              06-Jul-2016 20:31
          1055584
but both now broke the arrow keys/delete in insert mode.

Up arrow inserts "OA" as text, del inserts "[3~".

How can I fix these and revert to what was before?

I'm assuming my version of vim was even older than those.

Best regards,