* Why /dev/kmsg was deleted from cygwin1.dll in git?
@ 2018-07-03 19:44 Takashi Yano
From: Takashi Yano @ 2018-07-03 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Why was /dev/kmsg deleted from cygwin1.dll in git?
Due to this change, syslogd in inetutils package no longer works.

--
Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp>

* Re: Why /dev/kmsg was deleted from cygwin1.dll in git?
@ 2018-07-04 10:54 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2018-07-04 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jul  4 04:44, Takashi Yano wrote:
> Why was /dev/kmsg deleted from cygwin1.dll in git?
> Due to this change, syslogd in inetutils package no longer works.

/dev/kmsg doesn't really give any useful information.  It was never used
for more than some exception information, but it required a complete
fhandler class on its own.  I wanted to get rid of the useless code.

Inetutils is an orphaned package (and rightfully so).

If you think you need inetutils and especially syslogd, I suggest
to take over maintainance of that package and tweak syslogd so it
doesn't require /dev/kmsg anymore.

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Why /dev/kmsg was deleted from cygwin1.dll in git?
@ 2018-07-04 13:27   ` Takashi Yano
From: Takashi Yano @ 2018-07-04 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Corinna,

On Wed, 4 Jul 2018 12:54:20 +0200
Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> Inetutils is an orphaned package (and rightfully so).
>
> If you think you need inetutils and especially syslogd, I suggest
> to take over maintainance of that package and tweak syslogd so it
> doesn't require /dev/kmsg anymore.

Are the following three packages still orphaned?
* inetutils
* rsh
* tcp_wrappers

If so, may I apply for a maintainer of these packages? Honestly, I
am not sure what the maintainer tasks are. I appreciate if you let
me know how I can learn about that.

--

@ 2018-07-04 14:58     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2018-07-04 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)