* Package Requests: Update:bash-completion, coreutils - New: linux-manpages
@ 2021-08-13  4:20 Richard Beels
From: Richard Beels @ 2021-08-13  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Findutils _was_ on this list but then I saw it come over the transom
(yeay Brian! :-), which reminded me I never actually wrote about
it.  Procrastination eekes a minor victory...  :)

bash-completion and coreutils are both currently several releases/years behind.

Also, I'll throw in an oddball request to save a bucket of headers -
linux manpages.  I see the posix ones are packaged for the cyg, it
would be nice to also get the linux manpages packaged in similar fashion.

* Re: Package Requests: Update: bash-completion, coreutils - New: linux-manpages
       [not found]   ` <20210813204955.88404386184A@sourceware.org>
@ 2021-08-14  3:19     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-08-14  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2021-08-13 14:48, Richard Beels via Cygwin wrote:
> At 8/13/2021 at 01:11, Shakespearean monkeys danced on Brian Inglis's
> keyboard and said:
>>  I suggested linux-manpages a while back, as it comes from the same
>> source as posix-manpages, and I install it myself, but did not get
>> voted to package, due to duplication with conflicting priorities and
>> no easy way to resolve under existing paths.

> Huh...  they go to /usr/local by default (easily changeable with `make
> prefix=...`), which is pretty bare to begin with and with the fact that
> they don't package hardly anything in man1, the conflict potential goes
> down even further.  Ah well, I guess I just keep making it manually from
> a cloned repo.

That's the issue - Cygwin supports project man pages installed under FHS
locations like /usr/share/man/ where there would be "duplication", not
installing in non-standard locations under /usr/local/{share/,}man/ nor
under /usr/share/man/linux/ (man -m linux)!

>>  I could probably look at bash-completion if I can get around to bash,
>> as I would worry about dependencies, fixes, and tweaks. There are big
>> challenges in bash and coreutils being years out of date as parts of
>> those need customized for Cygwin, and the customization patches are
>> likely to have issues, or even need redesign, if there have been major
>> changes.

> bash-completion is a separate/disconnected project (now located at
> https://github.com/scop/bash-completion), it doesn't align its releases
> with bash itself.  bash-completion 2.7-2.10 require bash 4.1+, 2.11
> bumped that to 4.2.  Since we're at 4.4, I don't think that's a
> showstopper (BICBW).

BYCBC|BYCBR

@ 2021-08-13 20:48   ` Richard Beels
       [not found]   ` <20210813204955.88404386184A@sourceware.org>
From: Richard Beels @ 2021-08-13 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

keyboard and said:
>  I suggested linux-manpages a while back, as it comes from the same
> source as posix-manpages, and I install it myself, but did not get
> voted to package, due to duplication with conflicting priorities
> and no easy way to resolve under existing paths.

Huh...  they go to /usr/local by default (easily changeable with
`make prefix=...`), which is pretty bare to begin with and with the
fact that they don't package hardly anything in man1, the conflict
potential goes down even further.  Ah well, I guess I just keep
making it manually from a cloned repo.

>  I could probably look at bash-completion if I can get around to
> bash, as I would worry about dependencies, fixes, and tweaks. There
> are big challenges in bash and coreutils being years out of date as
> parts of those need customized for Cygwin, and the customization
> patches are likely to have issues, or even need redesign, if there
> have been major changes.

bash-completion is a separate/disconnected project (now located at
https://github.com/scop/bash-completion), it doesn't align its
releases with bash itself.  bash-completion 2.7-2.10 require bash
4.1+, 2.11 bumped that to 4.2.  Since we're at 4.4, I don't think
that's a showstopper (BICBW).

And thanks again for the findutils update.  4.7 gave us
comma-delimited -type/-xtype specs, so a "( -type p -o -type s )"
(shown non-quoted for sanity's sake) becomes "-type p,s".  :thumbsup:

* Re: Package Requests: Update: bash-completion, coreutils - New: linux-manpages
@ 2021-08-13 20:48   ` Richard Beels
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Richard Beels @ 2021-08-13 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: Richard Beels @ 2021-08-13 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

keyboard and said:
>  I suggested linux-manpages a while back, as it comes from the same
> source as posix-manpages, and I install it myself, but did not get
> voted to package, due to duplication with conflicting priorities
> and no easy way to resolve under existing paths.

Huh...  they go to /usr/local by default (easily changeable with
`make prefix=...`), which is pretty bare to begin with and with the
fact that they don't package hardly anything in man1, the conflict
potential goes down even further.  Ah well, I guess I just keep
making it manually from a cloned repo.

>  I could probably look at bash-completion if I can get around to
> bash, as I would worry about dependencies, fixes, and tweaks. There
> are big challenges in bash and coreutils being years out of date as
> parts of those need customized for Cygwin, and the customization
> patches are likely to have issues, or even need redesign, if there
> have been major changes.

bash-completion is a separate/disconnected project (now located at
https://github.com/scop/bash-completion), it doesn't align its
releases with bash itself.  bash-completion 2.7-2.10 require bash
4.1+, 2.11 bumped that to 4.2.  Since we're at 4.4, I don't think
that's a showstopper (BICBW).

And thanks again for the findutils update.  4.7 gave us
comma-delimited -type/-xtype specs, so a "( -type p -o -type s )"
(shown non-quoted for sanity's sake) becomes "-type p,s".  :thumbsup:

* Re: Package Requests: Update: bash-completion, coreutils - New: linux-manpages
       [not found] <20210813042232.5DB54397102F@sourceware.org>
@ 2021-08-13  5:11 ` Brian Inglis
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-08-13  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2021-08-12 22:20, Richard Beels via Cygwin wrote:
> Findutils _was_ on this list but then I saw it come over the transom
> (yeay Brian! :-), which reminded me I never actually wrote about it.
> Procrastination ekes a minor victory...  :)
>
> bash-completion and coreutils are both currently several releases/years
> behind.
>
> Also, I'll throw in an oddball request to save a bucket of headers -
> linux manpages.  I see the posix ones are packaged for the cyg, it would
> be nice to also get the linux manpages packaged in similar fashion.

Cheers - glad those are helping some - looking at a few others right now
for this weekend:
- bison m4 sed​ - as current - and they are more developer oriented;
- dash grep gzip readline - as test - they are more pervasive and issues
would be high impact.