* problem with make 4.4.1-2 or gcc-fortran 11.4.0-1
@ 2024-04-19 20:59 Arnab Paul
From: Arnab Paul @ 2024-04-19 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,
I am trying to install a software which requires the libraries gcc-fortran,
make, libarpack-devel, liblapack-devel, libnetcdf-fortran-devel, git.
As I did and ran the commands given below,

git clone https://github.com/Aida-Alvera/DINEOF
cd DINEOF/
cp config.mk.template config.mk
make

The make command is showing the problem as
Makefile:30: Compilers/Windows_NT-gfortran.mk: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target 'Compilers/Windows_NT-gfortran.mk'.  Stop.

I am keeping Linux as my default OS but it is asking for the
Windows_NT-gfortran.mk

any clue or help will be appreciated
Thank you
*Arnab Paul,*
*PhD Graduate Student,*
*Louisiana State University,*
*United States of America*

* Re: problem with make 4.4.1-2 or gcc-fortran 11.4.0-1
@ 2024-04-19 21:39 ` René Berber
From: René Berber @ 2024-04-19 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 4/19/2024 2:59 PM, Arnab Paul via Cygwin wrote:

> Hello,
> I am trying to install a software which requires the libraries gcc-fortran,
> make, libarpack-devel, liblapack-devel, libnetcdf-fortran-devel, git.
> As I did and ran the commands given below,
>
> git clone https://github.com/Aida-Alvera/DINEOF
> cd DINEOF/
> cp config.mk.template config.mk
> make
>
> The make command is showing the problem as
> Makefile:30: Compilers/Windows_NT-gfortran.mk: No such file or directory
> make: *** No rule to make target 'Compilers/Windows_NT-gfortran.mk'.  Stop.
>
> I am keeping Linux as my default OS but it is asking for the
> Windows_NT-gfortran.mk

Looking at the Makefile, lines 13 to 15, and 30:

The problem is that Makefile optionally sets OS to Linux (line 13) but
in Cygwin OS is set to Windows_NT.  i.e.
$ echo $OS
Windows_NT

The solution is to change that environment variable.

There are several ways try correct that, try: make OS=Linux

--
R.B.

* Re: problem with make 4.4.1-2 or gcc-fortran 11.4.0-1
@ 2024-04-20  4:12   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2024-04-20  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2024-04-19 15:39, René Berber via Cygwin wrote:
> On 4/19/2024 2:59 PM, Arnab Paul via Cygwin wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I am trying to install a software which requires the libraries gcc-fortran,
>> make, libarpack-devel, liblapack-devel, libnetcdf-fortran-devel, git.
>> As I did and ran the commands given below,
>>
>> git clone https://github.com/Aida-Alvera/DINEOF
>> cd DINEOF/
>> cp config.mk.template config.mk
>> make
>>
>> The make command is showing the problem as
>> Makefile:30: Compilers/Windows_NT-gfortran.mk: No such file or directory
>> make: *** No rule to make target 'Compilers/Windows_NT-gfortran.mk'.  Stop.
>>
>> I am keeping Linux as my default OS but it is asking for the
>> Windows_NT-gfortran.mk
>
> Looking at the Makefile, lines 13 to 15, and 30:
>
> The problem is that Makefile optionally sets OS to Linux (line 13) but in Cygwin
> OS is set to Windows_NT.  i.e.
> $ echo $OS
> Windows_NT
>
> The solution is to change that environment variable.
>
> There are several ways try correct that, try: make OS=Linux

Better - first try:

	$ uname -o
	Cygwin

but Linux shows *GNU/Linux*, so then try e.g.:

	$ uname -s
	Linux

and only then see if $OS is defined and use it.

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry