* Setup.exe suggestions
@ 2024-02-28 20:19 Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C]
From: Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] @ 2024-02-28 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi All,

I already tried to bring this up, but it looks like it was either ignored or just slipped
through the cracks...

I have a few suggestions that IMHO would make Setup a teeny-bit user-friendlier.

Having to (re-)install Cygwin is probably the most dreaded action for everybody, and
dealing with Setup is not to be taken light-heartedly when you have to go through
thousands of packages.  The version upgrade would probably be the only exception,
which is rather seamless.

There are a few challenges with Setup interactions...

For new installations, it'd be great to have the most suitable (in most cases, the most
recent) version shown as the first selection in all those pulldown version lists in
the "New" columns.  The logical order would be "the preferred (latest) version",
"the version previous to that" ... "test version(s)", and then all the actions like
"Uninstall"(grayed out), "Skip" (checked) etc coming last, so that one doesn't have to
hover different distances when selecting the packages.

There's always a challenge to reinstall Cygwin from an earlier setup (esp. a different
host).  The recipe to make a package list from a cygcheck dump and then to stuff it
into the -P argument of Setup does not seem always doable, because there's an obvious
restriction for how long the command line can be.  My list of packages (which is still
a tiny fraction of "everything") does not simply fit in there!

So the suggestion is to allow the @ syntax for at least the -P, -x options:
if there's only one argument given that starts with @, treat the rest as a file name,
which contains the list...  If there's a problem accessing that file, add the entire
argument 'as is' as a "package", and the package name verifier should catch that as
an error later.

For existing installations, in the "Unneeded" view it'd be best to have the packages'
"New" dispositions as "Uninstall" rather than "Keep", which they presently have showing
by default.  So that one does not have to go through (sometimes quite many) packages in
that view to mark them all.  If someone wants to retain some, it's easier to change
those few back to "Keep".

IDK how difficult it is all to implement -- I have no intimate knowledge of the
Setup code, but at least the package list files do not sound too complex...

These suggestions come from my personal experience with this utility, so your mileage
may vary.

The "patches welcome" suggestion in return is well understood.  I just thought there
might be folks with better understanding of the code, before me trying to jump in.

Thanks!

Anton Lavrentiev
Contractor NIH/NLM/NCBI

* Re: Setup.exe suggestions
@ 2024-02-29  7:21 ` Christian Franke
From: Christian Franke @ 2024-02-29  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

Lavrentiev, Anton wrote
> For new installations, it'd be great to have the most suitable (in most cases, the most
> recent) version shown as the first selection in all those pulldown version lists in
> the "New" columns.  The logical order would be "the preferred (latest) version",
> "the version previous to that" ... "test version(s)", and then all the actions like
> "Uninstall"(grayed out), "Skip" (checked) etc coming last, so that one doesn't have to
> hover different distances when selecting the packages.

Doubleclick in "New" column toggles between "Skip" or "Keep" and the
"preferred version". Ctrl+I selects the latter.and moves to the next row.

> For existing installations, in the "Unneeded" view it'd be best to have the packages'
> "New" dispositions as "Uninstall" rather than "Keep", which they presently have showing
> by default.

Changing a view should never change the current package selection.

>    So that one does not have to go through (sometimes quite many) packages in
> that view to mark them all.

Press and hold Ctrl+U to select "Uninstall" for all. Then change to
another view and back to "Unneeded" to see more possible unneeded packages.

>    If someone wants to retain some, it's easier to change
> those few back to "Keep".

Ctrl+K = "Keep", Ctrl+R = "Reinstall".

--
Regards,
Christian

* RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: Setup.exe suggestions
@ 2024-02-29 15:07   ` Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C]
From: Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] @ 2024-02-29 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Christian Franke

Thank you for your response about the shortcuts...  And double-clicks (which can be a ton when installing anew, as I figured).

> Doubleclick in "New" column toggles between "Skip" or "Keep" and the
> "preferred version". Ctrl+I selects the latter.and moves to the next row.

What if I don't need the entire "New" column, but only some of the packages?

> Press and hold Ctrl+U to select "Uninstall" for all. Then change to
> another view and back to "Unneeded" to see more possible unneeded packages.

Interesting.  Anywhere it is documented?

But how about replicating the installation?  No shortcuts?

Anton Lavrentiev
Contractor NIH/NLM/NCBI

* Re: setup.exe suggestions
@ 2001-11-11  8:26     ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralf Habacker, Cygwin

From: Ralf Habacker @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

Great. Thats means there could be a new category named "configurations" or so
containing all the dummy tarballs with related dependencies.

> Rob
>

> --

* setup.exe suggestions
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 Le Chat Noir
From: Le Chat Noir @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

firstly, forgive me for mentioning anything that's already been said, I don't read the mailing list, I just wanted to give feedback/make a suggestion to the Cygwin dev team.

With setup.exe, there are two small, obvious features missing which would streamline it even further:

1) Remember the last setting for all choices, up until and including mirror.

2) A way to quickly select/deselect all packages; I went to make a bare Cygwin installation, and deselecting almost every package was v.tiresome!

Thank you, and please contact me directly if you wish!  Ciao.

Jeremy

* RE: setup.exe suggestions
@ 2001-11-11  8:26   ` Ralf Habacker
From: Ralf Habacker @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

Ralf

From: Robert Collins @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Le Chat Noir

@ 2000-05-26 14:29   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-05-26 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 12:36:42PM -0400, Terry Lincoln wrote:

>On Friday, May 26, 2000 7:03 AM, Svein Erling Seldal wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'd like to suggest that the 'setup.exe' program should have an
>> additional option (unless it already exists of course): The
>> feature "download from internet without installing cygwin".
>>
>> I'm getting tired of pressing Ctrl+C as soon as the download
>> process is done....
>>
>In the immortal words of Chris G. Faylor, "Patches are gratefully
>accepted."

Actually, that is normally true but in this case I'd have to say:
"Use ftp if you just want to download stuff."

cgf

* Re: setup.exe suggestions
@ 2000-05-26 11:20   ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-05-26 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lincoln2; +Cc: Svein.Seldal, cygwin

> > I'm getting tired of pressing Ctrl+C as soon as the download
> > process is done....
> >
> In the immortal words of Chris G. Faylor, "Patches are gratefully
> accepted."

Actually, in this case it wouldn't help, as I'm in the middle of major
setup work and they'd just get in the way.  I'll add such a feature
shortly, but I don't know when that setup will make its way to
sourceware.

But, this case is an exception.  Patches are still gratefully accepted
for other things :-)

* Re: setup.exe suggestions
@ 2000-05-26 10:24 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-05-26 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Svein Erling Seldal, cygwin

--- Svein Erling Seldal <Svein.Seldal@q-free.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to suggest that the 'setup.exe' program should have an additional
> option (unless it already exists of course): The feature "download from
> internet without installing cygwin".
>
> I'm getting tired of pressing Ctrl+C as soon as the download process is
> done....

The source is available.  Patches accepted.

Cheers,

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
            __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__
Cygwin Newbies: < http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >
           __Minimalist GNU for Windows__
  Mingw32 List: < http://www.egroups.com/group/mingw32/ >
    Mingw Home: < http://www.mingw.org/ >

* Re: setup.exe suggestions
@ 2000-05-26  9:35 ` Terry Lincoln
From: Terry Lincoln @ 2000-05-26  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Svein Erling Seldal, cygwin

begin 666 Warren Terry Lincoln.vcf
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6-E0Q-C,V-#):#0I%3D0Z5D-!4D0-"@``
`
end

* setup.exe suggestions
@ 2000-05-26  4:03 Svein Erling Seldal
From: Svein Erling Seldal @ 2000-05-26  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

I'd like to suggest that the 'setup.exe' program should have an additional
option (unless it already exists of course): The feature "download from
internet without installing cygwin".

I'm getting tired of pressing Ctrl+C as soon as the download process is
done....

Regards,
Svein E. Seldal
IT Department