* Re: General comments...
@ 2003-01-13  3:04 ` Dave Hooper
From: Dave Hooper @ 2003-01-13  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> I'm on a P4 2.64Ghz/512 DDR-RAM/Over 100Gb HD Space and it's slow for me
> ;-) I do like the the idea of a prograss dialog when setup is reading the
> packages from lcoal disk though.

The major spot I've noticed with slowness is when if you click on the text
"Default" in the packages list (initial view, so whatever that is,
Curr/All I guess), and it takes a million years (without an hourglass) to
change to "Install" (or whatever the next setting is :-) ).  On several
occasions I've found myself repeatedly clicking it, just in case it missed
my previous clicks, meaning that it skips past Default and goes to
Uninstall or something... Bah.  Infuriating.

Oh, something somewhere also leaks memory like a seive.  I tried to do a
full install (of, yes, everything), and halfway through downloading the
perl package it started gobbling memory until it fell over.  I have over a
gig of swap space and at the time nothing else was using it ;-)

>> Minimal support for handling this in a good manner would be to
>> display information regarding whether the utility needs the line to be
>> up or not.
>
> Isn't that kinda up to the user. When you finish downloading new packages
> you kill your internet connection as cygwin setup won't need it.

I totally disagree.  Cygwin setup has two phases, download and install.
Install takes almost as long as download on many machines!  So in an ideal
world Cygwin would automatically hang up if it had initially autodialled
the internet connection  (maybe it does this, I'm not on dial up), or pop
up a message box saying "Finished downloading, click OK to install" or
similar.

Is the source for setup.exe in cvs anyway?

* Setup.exe discussion (was Re: General comments...)
@ 2003-01-13  3:04   ` Max Bowsher
From: Max Bowsher @ 2003-01-13  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Hooper, cygwin

Dave Hooper wrote:
> The major spot I've noticed with slowness is when if you click on the
> text "Default" in the packages list (initial view, so whatever that
> is, Curr/All I guess), and it takes a million years (without an
> hourglass) to change to "Install"

Yes. If only I can find a sufficiently contiguous block of free time...

> Oh, something somewhere also leaks memory like a seive.

I haven't encountered this. Maybe you would like to try the snapshot at
http://cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/ ?

>> Isn't that kinda up to the user. When you finish downloading new
>> packages you kill your internet connection as cygwin setup won't
>> need it.
>
> I totally disagree.  Cygwin setup has two phases, download and
> install. Install takes almost as long as download on many machines!
> So in an ideal world Cygwin would automatically hang up if it had
> initially autodialled the internet connection  (maybe it does this,
> I'm not on dial up), or pop up a message box saying "Finished
> downloading, click OK to install" or similar.

Autodialling isn't something that (most) programs do. Windows does it for
them. So setup doesn't know if a connection was made on it's account or not.

Isn't the change from downloading to installing info enough?

> Is the source for setup.exe in cvs anyway?

Of course it is. http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin-apps/setup.html

Max.

* Re: General comments...
@ 2003-01-13  3:04 Elfyn McBratney
From: Elfyn McBratney @ 2003-01-13  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail), cygwin; +Cc: cygwin-apps

> There is one thing that I find almost annoying with the setup utility.
> At a certain point it feels VERY slow; when the list of packages to
> download/install is about to open up. This may take anything from a
> little while to ages to open (No, I haven't measured time so far). As
> there is NO progress display it feels as a very long delay. Please,
> consider adding a progress display of some sort.

I'm on a P4 2.64Ghz/512 DDR-RAM/Over 100Gb HD Space and it's slow for me ;-) I do like the the idea of a prograss dialog when setup is reading the packages from lcoal disk though.

> One more thing: As I'm running the download through an ISDN line
> (charge based on time up), it is vital for me to be able to disconnect
> ASAP. Minimal support for handling this in a good manner would be to
> display information regarding whether the utility needs the line to be
> up or not.

Isn't that kinda up to the user. When you finish downloading new packages you kill your internet connection as cygwin setup won't need it. It shouldn't be up to setup to say:

Hey you, yes you, I'm finished guzzling your internet connection, switch it off....

Elfyn
elfyn@exposure.org.uk

* Re: General comments...
@ 2003-01-13  3:04   ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-01-13  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Hooper; +Cc: cygwin

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Dave Hooper wrote:

> [snip]
> Is the source for setup.exe in cvs anyway?

Yes.  See <http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin-apps/setup.html>.
	Igor
P.S. Should there also be a link to it on the cygwin home page?
Incidentally, <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-apps/setup.html> doesn't work.
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune

* Re: General comments...
@ 2003-01-13  3:23       ` Max Bowsher
From: Max Bowsher @ 2003-01-13  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-01-13  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 10:08:46AM -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>P.S. Should there also be a link to it on the cygwin home page?

No.

>Incidentally, <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-apps/setup.html> doesn't work.

Did somebody say it would?

cgf

* RE: General comments...
@ 2003-01-13  3:23 ` Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail)
From: Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) @ 2003-01-13  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> From: Elfyn McBratney [mailto:elfyn-cygwin@sickpuppy.co.uk]

> > Please,
> > consider adding a progress display of some sort.
>
> I'm on a P4 2.64Ghz/512 DDR-RAM/Over 100Gb HD Space and it's slow
> for me ;-) I do like the the idea of a prograss dialog when setup
> is reading the packages from lcoal disk though.

 So one <AOL> Mee too </AOL> counted ;-)
That was one of the things I asked for :-)

> > One more thing: As I'm running the download through an ISDN line
> > (charge based on time up), it is vital for me to be able to disconnect
> > ASAP. Minimal support for handling this in a good manner would be to
> > display information regarding whether the utility needs the line to be
> > up or not.
>
> Isn't that kinda up to the user. When you finish downloading new
> packages you kill your internet connection as cygwin setup won't
> need it. It shouldn't be up to setup to say:
>
> Hey you, yes you, I'm finished guzzling your internet connection,
> switch it off....

 Maybe I was a bit unclear here; I'm "always" doing other stuff while
the/any download proceeds in the background. I'd still like to be
notified(sp) about it having finished, in a sane manner - so I can go on
typing (or whatever)...
NOTE THE PROBLEM: Do not pop up an ACTIVE dialog; I would be typing on the
keyboard, thus possibly ruining it all.

> Elfyn
> elfyn@exposure.org.uk

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, Mariefred, Sweden

* RE: Setup.exe
@ 2003-01-13  3:30   ` Dave Hooper
From: Dave Hooper @ 2003-01-13  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>  Maybe I was a bit unclear here; I'm "always" doing other stuff while
> the/any download proceeds in the background. I'd still like to be
> notified(sp) about it having finished, in a sane manner - so I can go on
> typing (or whatever)...
> NOTE THE PROBLEM: Do not pop up an ACTIVE dialog; I would be typing on the
> keyboard, thus possibly ruining it all.

Ah, that's easy then.  Just make the setup.exe title bar flash.  This will
also make the toolbar button (start bar, program bar, whatever) flash too,
so you can still be notified even if setup.exe is hidden behind a bunch of
windows, or minimized.  As sane as it comes and a one-line change.

Also, in response to some questions about Autodial - I think the point I
was trying to make didn't come across.  I wasn't suggesting Windows
doesn't autodial, and I certainly wasn't suggesting that, if Windows does
autodial then it doesn't autohangup.  What I meant was:

If a program tries to access the internet, and Windows DOES autodial, and
the program (while it is still running) stops accessing the internet,
Windows will only autohangup after the timeout.  Therefore what I was
suggesting was a hint to windows to say, look, I've finished with it, hang
up now if you like, don't bother waiting for the timeout.

The reason being that the timeout is usually of the order of a couple
minutes, but if the program running knows it isn't going to need to
connect again, Windows can disconnect saving 120 seconds of phone bill.

However as the original poster pointed out, they DON'T want a popup
message and when Windows prompts to disconnect that's exactly what DOES
happen.  So, forget my autodial discussion because as it transpires that
will solve no-one's problems except my own imagined ones  (I'm not even on
dialup!)

But the flashing titlebar ought to be put in next time someone tweaks the
code, it's a oneliner.

* setup.exe
@ 2006-06-11 22:15 Richard Foulk
From: Richard Foulk @ 2006-06-11 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Cygwin-X is a liberating tool.  Is there a way to use setup.exe remotely,
via X, so it fits into the larger scheme of things?

Or is there some other tool that does the same thing via X or command
line?

Thanks

Richard

* Re: setup.exe
@ 2003-04-30 20:44 DEEPA SIVASANKARANE
From: DEEPA SIVASANKARANE @ 2003-04-30 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: DEEPA SIVASANKARANE, Max Bowsher, cygwin

Yes, I intend to use the net release, as it has gcc-2.

Thanx,
regards,
Deepa

From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-04-30 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DEEPA SIVASANKARANE; +Cc: Max Bowsher, cygwin

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

@ 2003-04-30 17:05 DEEPA SIVASANKARANE
From: DEEPA SIVASANKARANE @ 2003-04-30 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Bowsher; +Cc: cygwin

I assume the reason you wanted to do this was to permit
reinstallation from
>your local disc at a later date?

Yes. You see, I had the redhat release installed at first.
Moved to net release. I would like to switch between the two.

Thanx,
Deepa

>> "Install from Internet" to C:\cygwin  be the same as
>> choosing the download option and untaring them in
>> C:\cygwin ?
>
>NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!
>
>DO NOT UNTAR A CYGWIN PACKAGE TO INSTALL IT!
>USE SETUP.EXE!
>

>I assume the reason you wanted to do this was to permit
reinstallation from
>your local disc at a later date?
>
>If so, just "Install from Internet". The downloaded files
will NOT be
>deleted, and you can install from them without an internet
connection by
>using "Install from Local Directory".
>

>Max.

* Re: setup.exe
@ 2003-04-30 16:45 ` Max Bowsher
From: Max Bowsher @ 2003-04-30 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DEEPA SIVASANKARANE, cygwin

@ 2003-04-30 16:38 DEEPA SIVASANKARANE
From: DEEPA SIVASANKARANE @ 2003-04-30 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2003-03-06 16:50   ` Max Bowsher
From: Max Bowsher @ 2003-03-06 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Matthias Lehner

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> Matthias,
> If you want to simply re-download all the packages, try blowing away
> the download directory

I think that's what he accidentally did.

The problem is, setup doesn't make it particularly obvious how to redownload
stuff.

Use 'Download from internet' mode, and cycle each package "Retrieve" (for
installed packages or a version number (for uninstalled packages). The
category actions can help you avoid having to click on every package, but
unfortunately, the labels are wrong in "Download" mode: "Install" downloads
uninstalled packages only, and "Reinstall" downloads installed packages
only.

Max.

* Re: setup.exe
@ 2003-03-06 16:43 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-03-06 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Lehner; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Matthias Lehner wrote:

> Hello
>
> Ive had some trouble becouse i downloaded all the packages but it seems
> that i had some errors with wat i think is a log were the setup saves all
> downloaded packages in a log. After the instalation i wanted to move the
> packages but i deleted them instad and when i tried to re-download the
> packages the "setup.exe" dowloads the setup.bz2 or someting and then sais
> "download completed", so i would like to know how to do to -re download the
> packages or delete the log please.
>
> Greetings MaL2k3

Matthias,
If you want to simply re-download all the packages, try blowing away the
download directory (which is named after the mirror site you used,
URL-encoded), and starting again.

I don't know if the current version of setup checks for package integrity
or just for its existence...  If you want to try a setup development
snapshot, it should contain the code to verify that the package you have
is the same as the one on the mirror (try it at your own risk, though).
	Igor
--

@ 2003-03-06 14:37 Matthias Lehner
From: Matthias Lehner @ 2003-03-06 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello

       [not found] <Pine.LNX.4.44.0301090905060.2932-100000@magetower.office.aol.com>
@ 2003-01-13  3:30 ` Gary R. Van Sickle
From: Gary R. Van Sickle @ 2003-01-13  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Acck!! Sorry guys, I meant for this to go to Gary and only to Gary.
>
> My goof

Well, since the deed is done, I suppose I should go on the record for all who
may be pondering my .sig, lest confusion be sown in the world.  I'll do it to
"cygwin at" though:

> > > --
> > > Gary R. Van Sickle
> > > Brewer.  Patriot.
> >
> > Question Gary, your signature, does it by chance reference A.P. Brewer
> > HS?

Oh, no, it's much more prosaic.  It's printed in the "ribbon" around the picture
of Samuel Adams on bottles of Sam Adams Boston Lager, one of my favorite beers.
And coincidentally, it is not wholly undescriptive of myself.

You have to see the picture for the full comedic effect. ;-)

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Brewer.  Patriot.

* Re: Setup.exe
@ 2003-01-13  3:30       ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2003-01-13  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin-L

Tommy Butler wrote:
> You know, if you let your eyes drift out of focus ever so slightly, you can get
> that 3-D effect and the boxes pop out at you.  It almost looks like
> rainbow-bright meets tron.

Awright, who spiked the mailing list headwaters with LSD?

* Re: Setup.exe
@ 2003-01-13  3:30         ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-01-13  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Warren Young wrote:

> Tommy Butler wrote:
> > You know, if you let your eyes drift out of focus ever so slightly, you can get
> > that 3-D effect and the boxes pop out at you.  It almost looks like
> > rainbow-bright meets tron.
>
> Awright, who spiked the mailing list headwaters with LSD?

Hmm...  Getting back on-topic (somewhat), it's a shame the setup screen
isn't as pretty as the defrag one (objectively speaking).  Any takers? ;-)
	Igor
--

@ 2003-01-13  3:23     ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2003-01-13  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary R. Van Sickle; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, 2003-01-09 at 16:15, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > You can assume IE4 is present on the system, thats already a requirement
> > for setup to operate.
> >

> GAH!  NOW he tells me! ;-)

Heh, you told me! (It's a requirement for the GUI update you
implemented).

Rob
--
GPG key available at: <http://users.bigpond.net.au/robertc/keys.txt>.

* RE: Setup.exe
@ 2003-01-13  3:23   ` Gary R. Van Sickle
From: Gary R. Van Sickle @ 2003-01-13  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[snip]

> You can assume IE4 is present on the system, thats already a requirement
> for setup to operate.

GAH!  NOW he tells me! ;-)

From: Robert Collins @ 2003-01-13  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Hooper; +Cc: cygwin

Gah. Sorry about the half-backed reply there.

On Thu, 2003-01-09 at 04:24, Dave Hooper wrote:
> (I believe Windows will by default wait until
> setup.exe has exitted before closing the dialup connection) unless
> setup.exe gives Windows a hint.  I'm almost utterly convinced that a
> sequence in setup.exe a bit like the following will do the trick
> admirably.

You need to check this - it's wrong.

If Windows dials for setup, then it will hangup for setup, even if setup
is still active, based upon the 'idle time' counter supplied by the
user.

I will *consider* autodial tweaking patches, but they need to meet the
following criteria:
* Work for all 3 internet access modes
* be cleanly abstracted into a class(es) of their own - say
'InternetLinkDetection or some such.

@ 2003-01-13  3:23     ` Tommy Butler
From: Tommy Butler @ 2003-01-13  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>Oh, it ain't just you man, it ain't just you!  Sometimes I even play a little
>>game: I try to guess which cluster will be moved next, and where it will be
>>moved to.  If I get both right, I win!  YAY!!!!!  It's like watching hundreds of
>>chess games all at once at 1000x real-time.  Sublime.

You know, if you let your eyes drift out of focus ever so slightly, you can get
that 3-D effect and the boxes pop out at you.  It almost looks like
rainbow-bright meets tron.

--

  -Tommy Butler
   see if I'm online »http://ooopps.sourceforge.net/online

   Tommy Butler <tommy@atrixnet.com>
   phone: (817)-468-7716
   6711 Forest Park Dr
   Arlington, TX
        76001-8403

   Download my résumé in PDF, MS Word, HTML, text
   http://www.atrixnet.com/

   the ooOPps Code Library
   http://ooopps.sourceforge.net/pub/

* Re: Setup.exe
@ 2003-01-13  3:23     ` Tommy Butler
From: Tommy Butler @ 2003-01-13  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: cgf

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Wow, is this off-topic or what?
>
> However, I can't tell you what a relief it is to hear that I'm not the only
> person who does this.  I've tried to get my wife to appreciate the beauty of
> a defrag screen but she never does.  And, so, I sit for lonely hours watching
> the flashing rectangles while a slow drip of drool escapes from the side of
> my mouth.
>
> I admit that sometimes I purposely make random copies of my directories and
> delete them, just to purposely defragment the disk so I can watch the visual
> display again.
>
> I've been doing this since the early MS-DOS defragmenters.  Do you suppose
> there's a support group for this somewhere?

Ahhh, I'm not alone (though it doesn't get quite that extreme yet- I don't frag
up my drives just to do watch defrag.)  The practice is so soothing; even after
waking up with QWERTY imprinted on your forhead.  My grandpa goes to tanning
beds for the same reason, but I can't see how it could be as interactive.

From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-01-13  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: Gary R. Van Sickle @ 2003-01-13  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[replies set to cygwin-apps]

> On Thu, 2003-01-09 at 16:15, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
> > [snip]
> >
> > > You can assume IE4 is present on the system, thats already a requirement
> > > for setup to operate.
> > >

> > GAH!  NOW he tells me! ;-)
>
> Heh, you told me! (It's a requirement for the GUI update you
> implemented).

Holy frejolies, am I getting *that* senile?!?!!  Man oh man....

I guess I'll have to go through the code again, but I've been coding under the
assumption that setup needs to run on Win9x with latest service pack and better.
At least I *thought* I was coding that way....

Wow.  I have *got* to stop coding sober.  ;-)

From: Robert Collins @ 2003-01-13  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin-Apps; +Cc: cygwin

The core requirements are:
win95
ie4

thats all we can assume will be present.

Rob

From: Gary R. Van Sickle @ 2003-01-13  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[snip]

> > Isn't the change from downloading to installing info enough?
>
> Some people won't notice that.  A larger issue is if you go away and make
> some tea.  I for one don't stare at setup.exe while it downloads
> eighty-six megabytes of information on a 33.6K modem.  (I do sit and watch
> defrag for hours on end though, but that's just me)

Oh, it ain't just you man, it ain't just you!  Sometimes I even play a little
game: I try to guess which cluster will be moved next, and where it will be
moved to.  If I get both right, I win!  YAY!!!!!  It's like watching hundreds of
chess games all at once at 1000x real-time.  Sublime.

Now I have some kewl WinAmp "Visualizations" that I've been meaning to blankly
stare at, so please excuse me while I kiss the sky.

;-)

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Brewer.  Patriot.

* Re: Setup.exe
@ 2003-01-13  3:04 Dave Hooper
From: Dave Hooper @ 2003-01-13  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>>> Isn't that kinda up to the user. When you finish downloading new
>>> packages you kill your internet connection as cygwin setup won't
>>> need it.
>
> Autodialling isn't something that (most) programs do. Windows does it for
> them. So setup doesn't know if a connection was made on it's account or
> not.

I'd agree that it isn't something most programs do. I'd disagree if you
were to say "Autodialling isn't something that most programs need to do",
however. Windows cannot know that setup.exe has 'finished' with the
internet connection (I believe Windows will by default wait until
setup.exe has exitted before closing the dialup connection) unless
setup.exe gives Windows a hint.  I'm almost utterly convinced that a
sequence in setup.exe a bit like the following will do the trick
admirably.

DWORD dwNetAccess;
InternetGetConnectedState(&dwNetAccess,0);
if (dwNetAccess & INTERNET_CONNECTION_MODEM)
{
  // autodial now.  windows will update a reference count
  // if the connection is already open
  InternetAutoDial(INTERNET_AUTODIAL_FORCE_ONLINE, &hwndSetupDialog);
}

[snip - setup.exe goes and downloads the packages]

if (dwNetAccess & INTERNET_CONNECTION_MODEM)
{
  // hang up.  windows will decrease a reference count.
  // Can't remember if Windows prompts the user if they
  // wish to close the dialup connection when the reference
  // count reaches zero, or if Windows just does it anyway!
  InternetAutodialHangup(0);
}

I'm speculating, I'll try it when I get a chance.  Of course this relies
on behaviour built into Internet Explorer 4 and newer (more accurately
built into the version of WinInet.dll shipping with IE 4, or a newer
version of that dll) but setup.exe can easily test for the presence of
this and do what it currently does if it can't find the functions or can't
find wininet.dll in the path.

> Isn't the change from downloading to installing info enough?

Some people won't notice that.  A larger issue is if you go away and make
some tea.  I for one don't stare at setup.exe while it downloads
eighty-six megabytes of information on a 33.6K modem.  (I do sit and watch
defrag for hours on end though, but that's just me)

> http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin-apps/setup.html

Thanks.  Will play.

* RE: Setup.exe
@ 2002-05-04 16:10 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-05-04 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron J. Outhier, cygwin

That's wrong. It should be
'C:\Downloads\cygwin\http%3a%2f%2fuiarchive.uiuc.edu%2fmirrors%2fftp%2fs
ources.redhat.com%2fpub%2fcygwin'

>   Sometimes I have to abort the installation program when
> making updates, and it's really annoying having to start
> over, the old way worked just fine. Setup would see that
> some of the files are already there, and skip those files.

Setup still does that. Just keep using the same list of mirrors.

> Plus, it's much easier on the eyes.

Huh? That directory is a working directory for the setup program, not a
human targeted directory.

> I don't care if it
> doesn't pick-up in the middle of a half-downloaded file
> -that is, if it just starts the last partially completed
> file over - it is still better than downloading entire set
> all over again!

You might try the prerelease snapshot which addresses a bug that causes
redownloads.

> Also, this is a minor thing, but is it
> possible for Setup to estimate before-hand aproximately how
> long the download is going to take. I mean, even if it is
> as
> simple as asking your modem type/download speed, adding the
>
> size of the files together, then doing other math stuff, to
> give an approximate time; that would be something. Then if,
> say, it could potentially take longer than the user would
> like, he/she could hit the <back> button, de-select a few
> files and repeat till the user IS satisfaction... Well,
> like I said, it would be something!

Patchs for this would be seriously considered.

Rob

* Setup.exe
@ 2002-05-04 11:50 Aaron J. Outhier
From: Aaron J. Outhier @ 2002-05-04 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello all:

  I am wondering, is there any way to get the Cygwin Setup
program to download to the same directories as before? As
it is right now, every time I run setup.exe, I am seeing a
new folder added with a name like:
"C:Downloadscygwinhttp%3a%2f%2fuiarchive.uiuc.edu%2fmirrors%2fftp%2fsources.redhat.com%2fpub%2fcygwin"

  Sometimes I have to abort the installation program when
making updates, and it's really annoying having to start
over, the old way worked just fine. Setup would see that
some of the files are already there, and skip those files.
Plus, it's much easier on the eyes. I don't care if it
doesn't pick-up in the middle of a half-downloaded file
-that is, if it just starts the last partially completed
file over - it is still better than downloading entire set
all over again! Also, this is a minor thing, but is it
possible for Setup to estimate before-hand aproximately how
long the download is going to take. I mean, even if it is
as
simple as asking your modem type/download speed, adding the

size of the files together, then doing other math stuff, to
give an approximate time; that would be something. Then if,
say, it could potentially take longer than the user would
like, he/she could hit the <back> button, de-select a few
files and repeat till the user IS satisfaction... Well,
like I said, it would be something!

TTFN (ta-ta-for-now)

=====
Sincerely,
  Aaron J. Outhier
  garlicsalt2@yahoo.com

* Re: setup.exe
@ 2002-02-10 19:38 Gareth Pearce
From: Gareth Pearce @ 2002-02-10 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Good - that left the mark on the archive.

>Gareth Pearce wrote:

>>>Doctor, doctor!  It hurts when I do this...
>>>
>>>Luckily that will never be an issue for cygwin setup.
>>>
>>>cgf
>>

>>I assume this is a statement that rolling your own setup.ini for ease of
>>private instalations is not supported.  Even though it seems to be a
>>regually suggested as a thing to do.
>

>Of course it's not supported per se(*) -- but it IS allowed.  Just don't
>do it wrong: Doctor, it hurts when I leave the timestamp and version
>lines out of my setup.ini.  Then make sure your custom version.in HAS
>timestamp and version info.  Sheesh.
>
>(*)Support implies some obligation on our part to make sure that your
>intended use works.  We accept no such obligation -- our obligation is
>to insure that the cygwin dist itself, as propagated on the mirror
>system, works with our cygwin setup tool.  Period.
>
>--Chuck

* Re: setup.exe
@ 2002-02-10 19:27 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-02-10 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gareth Pearce; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2002-02-10 19:22 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-02-10 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 03:04:23AM +0000, Gareth Pearce wrote:
>>On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 06:31:01PM -0800, Michael wrote:
>>>Setup.exe seems to crash and burn rather ungracefully if setup.ini is
>>>missing it's timestamp and version lines at the top.
>>
>>Doctor, doctor!  It hurts when I do this...
>>
>>Luckily that will never be an issue for cygwin setup.
>
>I assume this is a statement that rolling your own setup.ini for ease of
>private instalations is not supported.  Even though it seems to be a
>regually suggested as a thing to do.

The purpose of setup.exe is to install cygwin.  I, and others, have
stated this over and over again.  If this is news to you, you really
haven't been paying attention.  I have never suggested that you "roll
your own".  Other people have indicated that they wanted to use
setup.exe for this purpose, though.

We didn't create setup.exe for your personal use.  You can, of course,
do whatever you like with the program but complaining that things don't
work well for your own personal use is going to be low on the fixing
ladder.  So, if you want something fixed, you should fix it yourself.
I'm sure that patches would be gratefully accepted.

And, just to forestall any future discussion:

1) I'm aware that not everyone is a programmer.

2) I know that not everyone has time to fix bugs.

3) I know that if we don't adapt setup.exe to be perfect for personal
   use, it will mean the death of cygwin, and possibly the entire
   computer industry.

cgf

* Re: setup.exe
@ 2002-02-10 19:04 Gareth Pearce
From: Gareth Pearce @ 2002-02-10 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 06:31:01PM -0800, Michael wrote:
> >Setup.exe seems to crash and burn rather ungracefully if setup.ini is
> >missing it's timestamp and version lines at the top.
>
>Doctor, doctor!  It hurts when I do this...
>
>Luckily that will never be an issue for cygwin setup.
>
>cgf

I assume this is a statement that rolling your own setup.ini for ease of
private instalations is not supported.  Even though it seems to be a
regually suggested as a thing to do.

>--

* Re: setup.exe
@ 2002-02-10 18:40 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-02-10 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-02-10 18:31 Michael
From: Michael @ 2002-02-10 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi

Setup.exe seems to crash and burn rather ungracefully if setup.ini is
missing it's timestamp and version lines at the top.

Cheers
Michael

* Re: setup.exe
@ 2001-12-05  6:28 ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-12-05  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, John Daniel Doucette

===
From: John Daniel Doucette @ 2001-12-05  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

How you tell setup.exe to download to a local directory the absolute latest
of EVERYTHING.  By default "full" appears to come up with mostly "skip" for
each item.  It is rather difficult to go through the "full" list item by
item, clicking through the available versions to pick the latest one, and
do it before the mirror site times out waiting for you and disconnects.  I
am running setup 2.125.2.10 on win98se.

===================================
John Daniel Doucette, Sr. Software Designer

J. J. MacKay Canada Limited
Halifax R & D Office
1046 Barrington Street, 1st Floor
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Canada
B3H 2R1

Phone: 902.423.7727  x222
Fax:     902.422.8108
Web:    www . jjmackay . ca
Email:  john . doucette @ jjmackay . ca

* setup.exe
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 Rakic Sasa
From: Rakic Sasa @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi there,

Is it possible inside cygwin setup.exe implement option
of how long in Kb or bytes is installation that is available
for download:
Example:
Current                    New                     Src? .....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1.3.3-2                   1.3.5-3  105Kb      O ........ groff: GNU troff...

Greetings,
Sasa

* Re: setup.exe
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rakic Sasa, cygwin

From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-09-15 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

FWIW, I don't like beets very much.

Hope this helps!

cgf

On Sat, Sep 15, 2001 at 10:35:35AM +0100, Mark Himsley wrote:
>FWIW, my install is on Win2K Pro SP2.
>
>On Fri, 14 Sep 2001 23:53:18 +0100 you wrote:
>
>>lol....probably is.....i use win2k advanced server on the desk....might be
>>something to do with that....

* Re: Setup.exe
@ 2001-09-15  2:35     ` Mark Himsley
From: Mark Himsley @ 2001-09-15  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: C; +Cc: cygwin

--
Mark Himsley
In Acton

* Re: Setup.exe
@ 2001-09-14 15:55   ` C
From: C @ 2001-09-14 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Himsley; +Cc: cygwin

lol....probably is.....i use win2k advanced server on the desk....might be
something to do with that..../me shrugs......had very few problems with
cygwin.......this is an oddity....and i have only done this one cygwin1.dll
upgrade since the new setup.exe......

c^

> On Fri, 14 Sep 2001 11:20:27 +0100 you wrote:
>
> >version 2.78.2.9
> >
> >the setup used to report when upgrading cygwin1.dll if it was in use.....
> >I just upgraded to 1.3.3 with an sshd running......the setup prog just
sat
> >there......
> >/me shrugs......is this expected behaviour....i know it is different to
> >previous that I have used....(I always forget to kill sshd ;)....)
> >
> >Regards CraigT
>
> I just used exactly this version of setup.exe to update the cygwin package
> whilst running sshd also. Setup.exe DID complain that it couldn't write to
> cygwin1.dll. I guess it could be just you.
>
> --
> Mark Himsley
> In Acton

* Re: Setup.exe
@ 2001-09-14 15:09 ` Mark Himsley
From: Mark Himsley @ 2001-09-14 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: C; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2001-09-14  8:40 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-09-14  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 11:20:27AM +0100, C wrote:
>version 2.78.2.9
>
>the setup used to report when upgrading cygwin1.dll if it was in use.....
>I just upgraded to 1.3.3 with an sshd running......the setup prog just sat
>there......
>/me shrugs......is this expected behaviour....i know it is different to
>previous that I have used....(I always forget to kill sshd ;)....)

/me shrugs...

Guess so...

/me sighs...

/me walks away...

cgf

* Setup.exe
@ 2001-09-14  3:20 C
From: C @ 2001-09-14  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-09-03 14:57 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-09-03 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zanac2; +Cc: cygwin

zanac2@libero.it schrieb am 2001-09-03, 10:24:

>Hi,
>
>i need the source of setup.exe: where can i find if?
>
>I need it 'cause it is the only software that run under M$ Proxy, and
>i'm just courius how you do it :)
>
>p.s. please reply me at zanac@libero.it

Its in the cygwin sources.
http://cygwin.com/

Gerrit

--
=^..^=

* setup.exe
@ 2001-09-03  1:21 zanac2
From: zanac2 @ 2001-09-03  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-08-28  5:34   ` Goren Il
From: Goren Il @ 2001-08-28  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: freeweb; +Cc: cygwin

I tried accessing the CVS site, both using WinCvs (1.2) and by activating
"cvs"  from "bash" (both from the cygwin package).
In both cases I got "connection refused" after entering the password
(anoncvs). I used the information in the site that you mention. (server and
password).

1. What am I doing wrong?
2. Within the CVS tree - where is the "setup" program located?

Thanks you

From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-08-28  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Goren Il, cygwin

@ 2001-08-28  0:00 Goren Il
From: Goren Il @ 2001-08-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Where can I load the sources of the setup.exe program? I would like to
compile it myself.
I tried using wincvs (with ":pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.cygnus.com:/cvs/src")
but I got "connection refused".
Thank you

* RE: setup.exe
@ 2001-08-10  9:46   ` Dennis McCunney
From: Dennis McCunney @ 2001-08-10  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: cygwin

Since half of the installation programs in the world seem to call themselves
"setup.exe", I _would_ favor calling Cygwin's setup "cygsetup.exe", just to
make it clear what it was the setup program for.  I routinely do that rename
on the incoming file when I grab an updated version of setup to avoid
confusion.  (I DL everything to a standard download directory, and it isn't
unusual for me to download more than one file called "setup.exe" in a web
surfing session.)

I _wouldn't_ favor calling it "cygwin.exe" for the reasons you mention.

> --Chuck
______
Dennis

* Re: setup.exe
@ 2001-08-09 22:30 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-08-09 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roger Dahl; +Cc: cygwin

Roger Dahl wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Why not call the cygwin setup file cygwin.exe instead of setup.exe. It gets
> confusing with lots of "setup.exe"-s around :)

We already have three different meanings for "cygwin":

1. the DLL "cygwin1.dll" itself
2. the setup.exe-installed package called (currently) cygwin-1.3.2-1.tar.gz
3. the entire platform/distribution

You want to add a fourth meaning?  To "prevent" confusion??!!!  I don't
think so.

Doesn't context count for anything any more? If you're on the cygwin
list and you're talking about "setup", then it's a fair bet you're
talking about *cgywin's* setup, and not some other version. A little
common sense goes a long way, right? (except in politics, of course).

--Chuck

* setup.exe
@ 2001-08-09 21:38 Roger Dahl
From: Roger Dahl @ 2001-08-09 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi there,

Why not call the cygwin setup file cygwin.exe instead of setup.exe. It gets
confusing with lots of "setup.exe"-s around :)

Thanks,

Roger Dahl

* Re: setup.exe
@ 2001-04-11 14:24 ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2001-04-11 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Davis; +Cc: cygwin

> This nifty download utility, setup.exe, that downloads the cygwin
> environment - is it open source and if so where can we get a copy?

It is GPL'd.

http://www.cygwin.com/cvs.html

If you get and build "winsup" it will also build setup as
i686-pc-cygwin/winsup/cinstall/setup.exe

PLEASE make sure you change the urls it displays if you use it for
something else!

* Re: setup.exe
@ 2001-04-11 14:16 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-04-11 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'; +Cc: Davis

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 01:31:34PM -0700, Davis Yokana wrote:
>This nifty download utility, setup.exe, that downloads the cygwin
>environment - is it open source and if so where can we get a copy?
>If not, can we license it?

The setup utility is part of the cygwin sources.  It's downloadable
the same way that all sources are downloadable -- via the
setup utility.

The setup utility is GPLed, of course, so if you do use it, you'll
have to provide the sources for it.

cgf

* setup.exe
@ 2001-04-11 13:31 Davis Yokana
From: Davis Yokana @ 2001-04-11 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

This nifty download utility, setup.exe, that downloads the cygwin
environment - is it open source and if so where can we get a copy?
If not, can we license it?

Davis C. Yokana, Sr. Software Engineer
FORMation mg
Voice 949-598-8890 ext. 117
Fax   949-598-8899
http://www.formationmg.com
Eliminate the cost of preprinted forms forever...

* Re: setup.exe
@ 2000-08-30 13:40 ` Brian Keener
From: Brian Keener @ 2000-08-30 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Jens Yllman wrote:
> case. But I would like a option to make setup to skip putting a icon on
> the desktop and/or anything in the startup menu.

Good idea - I'll second that one and wish I could help DJ out and do it.
I posted another question about using CVS so if someone can point me to
some enlightenment I might try to look at the setup.

* Re: setup.exe
@ 2000-08-29  6:48 DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-08-29  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: jens

> I don't know if you've dicussed this before. I've missed it in that
> case. But I would like a option to make setup to skip putting a icon
> on the desktop and/or anything in the startup menu.

http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/cvs.exe

In src/winsup/cinstall are the setup sources.

You'll need to add a suitable dialog to res.rc (IDD_DESKTOP, copy one
of the others as a starting point.  I use MSVC's resource editor), and
edit desktop.cc to invoke the dialog and act on it (see root.cc for
lots of examples).  Shouldn't be too hard.  Don't forget to submit a
ChangeLog entry with your patches.

Note to all: if you have a nifty cygwin desktop icon you'd like to see
included in cygwin, let me know - we can include more than one icon in
setup!

* setup.exe
@ 2000-08-29  4:38 Jens Yllman
From: Jens Yllman @ 2000-08-29  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNUWin32

 Hi,

 I don't know if you've dicussed this before. I've missed it in that
case. But I would like a option to make setup to skip putting a icon on
the desktop and/or anything in the startup menu.

 /Jens

* Re:  setup.exe
@ 2000-06-21  8:50 ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2000-06-21  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Whitcomb, cygwin

I ran it just now, slow but sure, selecting the utk site.  I'm no longer
on an NT Novell network, but I don't see how that would be an
insurmountable problem.

Tim Prince
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-06-21  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JWhitcom; +Cc: cygwin

> setup.exe doesn't work for me. it says it's unable to find the ftp
> server. is this a problem with your software or mine? i'm running NT
> 4.0 on a novell network..

Two things to try:

1. Try accessing the ftp server with IE5

2. Try using the one http server

* setup.exe
@ 2000-06-21  8:34 Justin Whitcomb
From: Justin Whitcomb @ 2000-06-21  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2000-06-08 11:03 ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-06-08 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: oe; +Cc: cygwin

> Just loaded setup.exe from ftp.franken.de
> it is v1.45.2.2 from Jun 7 2000
>
> this version does not recognize the -h option
> nor does it say that this options available
> like it was mentioned some days before in this list by DJ.

The -h option was added in 1.48, which is still experimental, and is
called setup-1.48.exe.  It was just uploaded last night so mirrors may
not have it yet.

* setup.exe
@ 2000-06-08  9:38 Heinz-Juergen Oertel
From: Heinz-Juergen Oertel @ 2000-06-08  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just loaded setup.exe from ftp.franken.de
it is v1.45.2.2 from Jun 7 2000

this version does not recognize the -h option
nor does it say that this options available
like it was mentioned some days before in this list by DJ.

I'm working with W95
setup from internet doesn't work. setup does nothing at the net
(i have used tcpdump to listen) but complains it could not find the
ftp host.
ok, i used ftp to load some packages into the local (empty besides setup.exe)
directory.
If I now call setup, it crashes with ... while installing a package.
if i call it again, it seems to finish the previous package
but crashes with the next one.

after all, i'm happy to have the new version after working for a long time
with b20.1

Thanks to all who have contributed.

--
with best regards / mit freundlichen Grüßen

   Heinz-Jürgen Oertel

Heinz-Jürgen Oertel
port GmbH            phone +49 345 77755-0
Regensburger Str. 7c fax   +49 345 77755-20
D-06132 Halle/Saale  mailto:oe@port.de
Germany              http://www.port.de

* Re: setup.exe
       [not found] <200005201928.MAA10056@cygnus.com>
@ 2000-05-20 14:37 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-05-20 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, May 20, 2000 at 12:26:39PM -0800, Paul Garceau wrote:
>Chris, are you attempting to test the IE5, Netscape or msdos
>installations for the latest version of setup (v1.45)?

Sorry.  I don't know what you mean.  I was asking for people to run the
setup-1.45.exe program.  I didn't mention anything about bash, msdos, or
IE5 because all of those are irrelevant.

I was just asking for people to install using setup, hoping that people
who had previously used setup would be able to confirm or deny that it
works properly.  This has nothing to do with how you downloaded setup-1.45.exe.

Of course, running setup.exe within bash violates the instructions that
have been given for setup.  You really can't effectively install cygwin if
there are executing cygwin processes on your computer...

>Finally, I've forgotten where the full documentation for Cygwin is,
>could somebody give me a URL?

Go to the project web page:  http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/

cgf

* setup.exe
@ 2000-05-20 12:27 Paul Garceau
From: Paul Garceau @ 2000-05-20 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi folks,

   This may be somewhat outdated...however, initially upon
hearing that there was a new setup utility, I downloaded the
necessary file (setup) via my netscape browser.  Since I didn't
use IE5, I had no problems.
   After downloading I ran the setup from the dos-prompt (no
bash here), and it all worked fine.  I am using NT4.  Shortly
thereafter I used bash to build a rather large piece of software
(CrystalSpace) and all seemed to work fine from the bash side.
  Directory references were basically the same as the original
(full.exe, etc.) manual setup (Cygwin/...).

	Chris, are you attempting to test the IE5, Netscape or msdos
installations for the latest version of setup (v1.45)?

	Finally, I've forgotten where the full documentation for Cygwin
is, could somebody give me a URL?

	Thanks,

		Paul G.

Nothing real can be threatened.