* does anyone care about package minor version bump announcements?
@ 2015-11-19 15:14 Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2015-11-19 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Lately I find myself feeling quite unmotivated about writing a mostly
boilerplate announcement every time I upload a minor version bump of a
package I maintain.

"stow has been updated from version 2.2.0 to 2.2.2.  You can read the
upstream changelog to see what changed.  stow is blah blah blah"

Does anyone care about that?  Lately I don't.  In fact I've skipped sending
the last few, and no one seems to have noticed.

Can we leave it to the maintainer's discretion about whether they need to
send one of those on every update?  Maybe it already is, and I didn't know.
Of course some updates are important or need explanation or a headsup, and
then the maintainer should send one.

Andrew

* Re: does anyone care about package minor version bump announcements?
@ 2015-11-19 15:18 ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2015-11-19 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/19/2015 10:13 AM, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> Does anyone care about that?  Lately I don't.  In fact I've skipped sending
> the last few, and no one seems to have noticed.
>
> Can we leave it to the maintainer's discretion about whether they need to
> send one of those on every update?  Maybe it already is, and I didn't know.
> Of course some updates are important or need explanation or a headsup, and
> then the maintainer should send one.

My opinion is that every time the package is modified there should be an
announcement of the new package and what was changed.  Pointing to a
ChangeLog may be fine but not announcing the change is just wrong.

--
cyg Simple

* Re: does anyone care about package minor version bump announcements?
@ 2015-11-19 15:48   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-11-19 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Nov 19 10:18, cyg Simple wrote:
> On 11/19/2015 10:13 AM, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> > Does anyone care about that?  Lately I don't.  In fact I've skipped sending
> > the last few, and no one seems to have noticed.
> >
> > Can we leave it to the maintainer's discretion about whether they need to
> > send one of those on every update?  Maybe it already is, and I didn't know.
> > Of course some updates are important or need explanation or a headsup, and
> > then the maintainer should send one.
>
> My opinion is that every time the package is modified there should be an
> announcement of the new package and what was changed.  Pointing to a
> ChangeLog may be fine but not announcing the change is just wrong.

I agree.  Maybe cygport's new (in testing) "announce" command simplifies
it enough to be not much of a burden?

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* RE: does anyone care about package minor version bump announcements?
@ 2015-11-19 16:24     ` Nellis, Kenneth
From: Nellis, Kenneth @ 2015-11-19 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: Corinna Vinschen
> On Nov 19 10:18, cyg Simple wrote:
> > On 11/19/2015 10:13 AM, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> > > Does anyone care about that?  Lately I don't.  In fact I've skipped sending
> > > the last few, and no one seems to have noticed.
> > >
> > > Can we leave it to the maintainer's discretion about whether they need to
> > > send one of those on every update?  Maybe it already is, and I didn't know.
> > > Of course some updates are important or need explanation or a headsup, and
> > > then the maintainer should send one.
> >
> > My opinion is that every time the package is modified there should be an
> > announcement of the new package and what was changed.  Pointing to a
> > ChangeLog may be fine but not announcing the change is just wrong.
>
> I agree.  Maybe cygport's new (in testing) "announce" command simplifies
> it enough to be not much of a burden?

The announcements let me know when there are updates for my installation,
so I would like to see them continue.

--Ken Nellis

* Re: does anyone care about package minor version bump announcements?
@ 2015-11-19 20:50 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2015-11-19 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Schulman, cygwin

Greetings, Andrew Schulman!

> Lately I find myself feeling quite unmotivated about writing a mostly
> boilerplate announcement every time I upload a minor version bump of a
> package I maintain.

Then automate the announces! Let stupid hardware do stupid work.
It was designed to do exactly that!

> "stow has been updated from version 2.2.0 to 2.2.2.  You can read the
> upstream changelog to see what changed.  stow is blah blah blah"

> Does anyone care about that?  Lately I don't.  In fact I've skipped sending
> the last few, and no one seems to have noticed.

> Can we leave it to the maintainer's discretion about whether they need to
> send one of those on every update?  Maybe it already is, and I didn't know.
> Of course some updates are important or need explanation or a headsup, and
> then the maintainer should send one.

IMHO, the announcements are useful to track version history.
Unless there's some other comparable source, they are useful for archival
purposes.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin