* cygwin very slow under virtual box (productivity hit)
@ 2011-11-04 23:28 J.V.
From: J.V. @ 2011-11-04 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have Windows XP Pro x32 in a VM with the latest version of cygwin
installed.

When I open a cygwin bash shell, and type '$ls' it just sits there forever.

Any other command I type is freakishly slow.  How do I get this to run
faster under a vm environment.

I am not sure why it is taking so long to do a simple ls or mkdir or any
other command.

Even if I $vi a file it takes a while seriously cutting into the
productivity gains that cygwin on the host environment provides.

Is there a commercial version of cygwin or the likes that I can lay down
cash for to go fast under a VM environment?
I need to get this going or dump it all together for something else,
work has slowed to a halt.

* Re: cygwin very slow under virtual box (productivity hit)
@ 2011-11-05  0:01 ` David Rothenberger
From: David Rothenberger @ 2011-11-05  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/4/2011 4:28 PM, J.V. wrote:
> I have Windows XP Pro x32 in a VM with the latest version of cygwin
> installed.
>
> When I open a cygwin bash shell, and type '$ls' it just sits there forever.
>
> Any other command I type is freakishly slow.  How do I get this to run
> faster under a vm environment.
>
> I am not sure why it is taking so long to do a simple ls or mkdir or any
> other command.
>
> Even if I $vi a file it takes a while seriously cutting into the
> productivity gains that cygwin on the host environment provides.

I use Cygwin in a (VMware Player) VM with XP all the time and it's not
like you describe at all. I think the main Cygwin developers also use
VMs (at least from time to time), so there's nothing intrinsic to
running in a VM that causes the performance you describe.

I can't say for sure what your problem is, but I'd start by checking
your PATH for any directories on a remote machine (including any "host"
directories provided by your VM software). Or, perhaps simply try

  $ PATH /bin /bin/ls

and see if your problem goes away.

If none of that works, follow the directions here:

  http://cygwin.com/problems.html

> Is there a commercial version of cygwin or the likes that I can lay down
> cash for to go fast under a VM environment?

No.

Every cloud engenders not a storm.
                -- William Shakespeare, "Henry VI"

* Re: cygwin very slow under virtual box (productivity hit)
@ 2011-11-05  0:03   ` David Rothenberger
From: David Rothenberger @ 2011-11-05  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/4/2011 5:00 PM, David Rothenberger wrote:
> Or, perhaps simply try
>
>   $ PATH /bin /bin/ls
>
> and see if your problem goes away.

That should read:

  $ PATH=/bin /bin/ls

and just to be clear, the "$" is the prompt character. Don't type it.

For years a secret shame destroyed my peace--
I'd not read Eliot, Auden or MacNiece.
But now I think a thought that brings me hope:
Neither had Chaucer, Shakespeare, Milton, Pope.
                -- Justin Richardson.

* FAQ 4.2 Why is Cygwin suddenly so slow? (was Re: cygwin very slow under virtual box (productivity hit))
@ 2011-11-07 23:12 ` Cyrille Lefevre
From: Cyrille Lefevre @ 2011-11-07 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Le 05/11/2011 00:28, J.V. a écrit :
> I have Windows XP Pro x32 in a VM with the latest version of cygwin
> installed.
>
> When I open a cygwin bash shell, and type '$ls' it just sits there forever.

as usual, plz, remove bash-completion...

> FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/

cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.using.slow

also, plz, could you complete the FAQ about that, thanks in advance.

something like :

alternative, remove the bash-completion package if any.

Regards,

Cyrille Lefevre
--
mailto:Cyrille.Lefevre-lists@laposte.net

* Re: FAQ 4.2 Why is Cygwin suddenly so slow? (was Re: cygwin very slow under virtual box (productivity hit))
@ 2011-11-08  9:33   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2011-11-08  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Nov  8 00:13, Cyrille Lefevre wrote:
> Le 05/11/2011 00:28, J.V. a écrit :
> >I have Windows XP Pro x32 in a VM with the latest version of cygwin
> >installed.
> >
> >When I open a cygwin bash shell, and type '$ls' it just sits there forever.
>
> as usual, plz, remove bash-completion...
>
> >FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/
>
> cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.using.slow
>
> also, plz, could you complete the FAQ about that, thanks in advance.
>
> something like :
>
> alternative, remove the bash-completion package if any.

Wouldn't it make more sense to find out what part of the bash-completion
package is the usual culprit and to disable or change this part in a
bash-completion package update?

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: FAQ 4.2 Why is Cygwin suddenly so slow? (was Re: cygwin very slow under virtual box (productivity hit))
@ 2011-11-08 12:32     ` szgyg
From: szgyg @ 2011-11-08 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On Nov  8 00:13, Cyrille Lefevre wrote:
>> alternative, remove the bash-completion package if any.
>
> Wouldn't it make more sense to find out what part of the bash-completion
> package is the usual culprit and to disable or change this part in a
> bash-completion package update?

Dynamic loading may help

ongoing work upstream:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.shells.bash.completion.devel/3375