* setup.exe, dependencies, and 'keep' mode
@ 2011-11-09 22:43 Ryan Johnson
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ryan Johnson @ 2011-11-09 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi all,

There's a somewhat annoying behavior in setup.exe when installing
packages in 'keep' mode: all dependencies selected by things which would
have been installed in 'Curr' mode still try to download. Often I can
tell that they're spurious and just choose not to install them, but it
would get messy if the thing to be installed actually had dependencies...

Case in point: downloading gdb-7.3.50-1 requests dependencies
"ca-certificates-1.78-1" and "libgcj11-4.5.3-3" -- neither of which
strikes me as a likely candidate, and both of which are highly likely
candidates given that I'm not at the latest versions of libgcj or
libcurl4...

Anyone else seen this behavior?
Ryan

* Re: setup.exe, dependencies, and 'keep' mode
@ 2011-11-09 22:58 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2011-11-09 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/9/2011 5:43 PM, Ryan Johnson wrote:
> There's a somewhat annoying behavior in setup.exe when installing
> packages in 'keep' mode: all dependencies selected by things which would
> have been installed in 'Curr' mode still try to download. Often I can

It's a setup.hint "bug".  While setup.exe does support per-version
requires: statements, most setup.hints don't use that, and instead
specify "global" requirements.

So, bob uploads the new package "foo" which now requires libbar, and he
simply modifies the (global) requirements to add libbar.  When you try
to "keep" the old foo, setup.exe still notices that the requirements now
include libbar, and you don't have it installed, so...

--
Chuck

* Re: setup.exe, dependencies, and 'keep' mode
@ 2011-11-10 17:47 ` szgyg
From: szgyg @ 2011-11-10 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/9/2011 11:43 PM, Ryan Johnson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There's a somewhat annoying behavior in setup.exe when installing
> packages in 'keep' mode: all dependencies selected by things which would
> have been installed in 'Curr' mode still try to download. Often I can
> tell that they're spurious and just choose not to install them, but it
> would get messy if the thing to be installed actually had dependencies...

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2011-05/msg00094.html

szgyg

* Re: setup.exe, dependencies, and 'keep' mode
@ 2011-11-10 17:50 ` szgyg
From: szgyg @ 2011-11-10 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/9/2011 11:43 PM, Ryan Johnson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There's a somewhat annoying behavior in setup.exe when installing
> packages in 'keep' mode: all dependencies selected by things which would
> have been installed in 'Curr' mode still try to download. Often I can
> tell that they're spurious and just choose not to install them, but it
> would get messy if the thing to be installed actually had dependencies...

[sorry]

There is a small setup.exe patch