* Rolling back to 1.6.x Subversion
@ 2011-11-15 21:47 Sean LeBlanc
From: Sean LeBlanc @ 2011-11-15 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I've accidentally updated Subversion to 1.7.x on Cygwin.

Is there a way to get an older package of Subversion installed?

* Re: Rolling back to 1.6.x Subversion
@ 2011-11-16 15:18 ` Jeremy Bopp
From: Jeremy Bopp @ 2011-11-16 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/15/2011 15:47, Sean LeBlanc wrote:
> I've accidentally updated Subversion to 1.7.x on Cygwin.
>
> Is there a way to get an older package of Subversion installed?

It looks like you'll need to check out the Cygwin Time Machine
(http://www.fruitbat.org/Cygwin/index.html#cygwintimemachine) if you
want to go back to version 1.6.

That whole process is going to be unsupported here though, so is there
some reason you must remain on such an old release of subversion?

-Jeremy

* Re: Rolling back to 1.6.x Subversion
@ 2011-11-16 21:16   ` David Rothenberger
From: David Rothenberger @ 2011-11-16 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/16/2011 7:18 AM, Jeremy Bopp wrote:
> On 11/15/2011 15:47, Sean LeBlanc wrote:
>> I've accidentally updated Subversion to 1.7.x on Cygwin.
>>
>> Is there a way to get an older package of Subversion installed?
>
> It looks like you'll need to check out the Cygwin Time Machine
> (http://www.fruitbat.org/Cygwin/index.html#cygwintimemachine) if you
> want to go back to version 1.6.

The 1.6.17-1 release is still on the mirrors, you'll just have to
download it manually.

Or, you can wait for a day or two. I'll try to get the 1.6.17-1 version
restored as the "previous" version for easier installation through the
installer.

I'll burn my books.
                -- Christopher Marlowe

* Re: Rolling back to 1.6.x Subversion
@ 2011-11-16 22:35   ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2011-11-16 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremy Bopp, cygwin

Greetings, Jeremy Bopp!

>> I've accidentally updated Subversion to 1.7.x on Cygwin.
>>
>> Is there a way to get an older package of Subversion installed?

> It looks like you'll need to check out the Cygwin Time Machine
> (http://www.fruitbat.org/Cygwin/index.html#cygwintimemachine) if you
> want to go back to version 1.6.

> That whole process is going to be unsupported here though, so is there
> some reason you must remain on such an old release of subversion?

It's not "such an old", it's a release you need to migrate your working copies
to 1.17 without checking them out anew.
Or if you want to tell at a glance, if a directory you're working with is a
versioned one... which is not possible for 1.17 :/

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Rolling back to 1.6.x Subversion
@ 2011-11-16 23:01     ` David Rothenberger
From: David Rothenberger @ 2011-11-16 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/16/2011 2:20 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Jeremy Bopp!
>
>>> I've accidentally updated Subversion to 1.7.x on Cygwin.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to get an older package of Subversion installed?
>
>> It looks like you'll need to check out the Cygwin Time Machine
>> (http://www.fruitbat.org/Cygwin/index.html#cygwintimemachine) if you
>> want to go back to version 1.6.
>
>> That whole process is going to be unsupported here though, so is there
>> some reason you must remain on such an old release of subversion?
>
> It's not "such an old", it's a release you need to migrate your working copies
> to 1.17 without checking them out anew.
> Or if you want to tell at a glance, if a directory you're working with is a
> versioned one... which is not possible for 1.17 :/

(1.7, not 1.17).

I agree, Andrey, there are good reasons not to be able to update to 1.7
right now. The Cygwin installer should be able to install the latest 1.6
release by cycling through the versions. The change was just made, so it
may take a little time for the mirrors to catch up.

Harrison's Postulate:
        For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

* Re: Rolling back to 1.6.x Subversion
@ 2011-11-17 19:06     ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2011-11-17 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin-L

On 11/16/2011 3:20 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:

> it's a release you need to migrate your working copies
> to 1.17 without checking them out anew.

Are you sure?

After I got svn 1.7 via setup.exe, svn commands began failing in
preexisting checkout directories, telling me I needed to "svn upgrade"
them.  Running that command fixed the symptom.

Does this not work for you, or is this what you mean by "checking them
out anew"?

> Or if you want to tell at a glance, if a directory you're working with is a
> versioned one... which is not possible for 1.17 :/

$ ls -d .svn

* Re: Rolling back to 1.6.x Subversion
@ 2011-11-17 22:50       ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2011-11-17 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Young, cygwin

Greetings, Warren Young!

> On 11/16/2011 3:20 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
>>
>> it's a release you need to migrate your working copies
>> to 1.17 without checking them out anew.

> Are you sure?

As far as I understand the release notes, you need to run "svn cleanup" with
earlier version, before running "svn upgrade" with current one.

> After I got svn 1.7 via setup.exe, svn commands began failing in
> preexisting checkout directories, telling me I needed to "svn upgrade"
> them.  Running that command fixed the symptom.

> Does this not work for you, or is this what you mean by "checking them
> out anew"?

>> Or if you want to tell at a glance, if a directory you're working with is a
>> versioned one... which is not possible for 1.17 :/

> $ ls -d .svn

1.7 working copy do not have .svn dirs in nested directories.
http://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.7.html#wc-ng

--

@ 2011-11-18  0:14         ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2011-11-18  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Repin

On 11/17/2011 3:42 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
>> On 11/16/2011 3:20 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
>>>
>>> it's a release you need to migrate your working copies
>>> to 1.17 without checking them out anew.
>
>> Are you sure?
>
> As far as I understand the release notes, you need to run "svn cleanup" with
> earlier version, before running "svn upgrade" with current one.

I've done three successful tree upgrades with just an "svn upgrade".

Perhaps the "cleanup" is only needed in uncommon cases?

>> $ ls -d .svn
>
> 1.7 working copy do not have .svn dirs in nested directories.
> http://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.7.html#wc-ng

Sorry, I remembered that too late.

How about "svn st -q ."?

* Re: Rolling back to 1.6.x Subversion
@ 2011-11-18  9:50           ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2011-11-18  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Young, cygwin

Greetings, Warren Young!

>>> $ ls -d .svn
>>
>> 1.7 working copy do not have .svn dirs in nested directories.
>> http://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.7.html#wc-ng

> Sorry, I remembered that too late.

> How about "svn st -q ."?

I can't call it "at a glance".

--

@ 2011-11-18 14:25           ` Csaba Raduly
From: Csaba Raduly @ 2011-11-18 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/18/11, Warren Young  wrote:

>>> Are you sure?
>>
>> As far as I understand the release notes, you need to run "svn cleanup"
>> with
>> earlier version, before running "svn upgrade" with current one.
>
> I've done three successful tree upgrades with just an "svn upgrade".
>
> Perhaps the "cleanup" is only needed in uncommon cases?
>
>>> $ ls -d .svn
>>
>> 1.7 working copy do not have .svn dirs in nested directories.
>> http://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.7.html#wc-ng
>
> Sorry, I remembered that too late.
>
> How about "svn st -q ."?

That prints nothing if the folder is up to date.
Did you mean    "svn st -u ."   ?

* Re: Rolling back to 1.6.x Subversion
@ 2011-11-18 17:23             ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2011-11-18 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 18/11/2011 14:24, Csaba Raduly wrote:
> On 11/18/11, Warren Young  wrote:
>> On 11/17/2011 3:42 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
   [ one level of attribution lost here ]
>>> 1.7 working copy do not have .svn dirs in nested directories.
>>> http://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.7.html#wc-ng
>> Sorry, I remembered that too late.
>>
>> How about "svn st -q ."?
>
> That prints nothing if the folder is up to date.
> Did you mean    "svn st -u ."   ?

  How about the quicker (because non-recursively-scanning-the-whole-tree) "svn
info ."?

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: Rolling back to 1.6.x Subversion
@ 2011-11-19  9:30             ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2011-11-19  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin-L

On 11/18/2011 7:24 AM, Csaba Raduly wrote:
> On 11/18/11, Warren Young  wrote:
>>
>> How about "svn st -q ."?
>
> That prints nothing if the folder is up to date.

Yes.  And in the case the OP was concerned with, svn will complain
bitterly if the folder isn't versioned.

The worst side effect of doing it this way is that svn can be noisy if
there's a lot of stuff changed in the folder at the time.

* Re: Rolling back to 1.6.x Subversion
@ 2011-11-17 19:05           ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2011-11-17 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremy Bopp, cygwin

Greetings, Jeremy Bopp!

> Thank you for confirming my memory regarding these format changes.
> Still, while it makes sense for the project to make backward
> incompatible changes at times, it still seems odd that the new clients
> wouldn't support using the working copies from at least 1 minor version
> back in order to ease interoperability between SVN client implementations.

Unfortunatelly, changes in WC format for 1.7 was QUITE drastic...
As said, you can find more info on http://subversion.apache.org/
This is the wrong mailing list to discuss them.

--

@ 2011-11-17 19:05   ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2011-11-17 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Koppe, cygwin

Greetings, Andy Koppe!

> Can one use different svn clients on the same working copy, even if
> they are the same version?

You can even use them (literally) simultaneously. Subversion introduced an
appropriate locking mechanics to ensure as much as possible that all
transactions are atomic.
But, as you pointed out, they all must be of the same version.

> I've always been wary of that due to fear
> of subtle differences in working copy format.

Working copy format is dictated by the Subversion client layer http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.developer.layerlib.html#svn.developer.layerlib.client
not by a program or moon phase.

> Character encoding and line endings are two possible trouble spots that come
> to mind.

Subversion on inside using UTF-8. But this could be a problem when dealing
with files outside Subversion.

> I've certainly seen problems with CVS: Windows CVS clients often
> convert to Windows line endings on checkout, whereas Cygwin CVS
> doesn't, so if you check out with one and then do a 'cvs diff' with
> the other, it says that every line has changed.

This could only happen, if you intentionally set svn:eol-style to "native".
Otherwise, it will preserve line endings, or even convert them to the desired
format upon submission.

--

@ 2011-11-17 16:47         ` Jeremy Bopp
From: Jeremy Bopp @ 2011-11-17 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2011-11-17 16:33     ` Jeremy Bopp
From: Jeremy Bopp @ 2011-11-17 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/17/2011 05:12, Csaba Raduly wrote:
> On 11/17/11, Andy Koppe  wrote:
>> Can one use different svn clients on the same working copy, even if
>> they are the same version? I've always been wary of that due to fear
>> of subtle differences in working copy format. Character encoding and
>> line endings are two possible trouble spots that come to mind.
>
> I regularly use Cygwin's SVN and Subclipse in a Windows version of
> Eclipse and never had any problems. I had to postpone upgrading to the
> Subversion 1.7 Cygwin package until Subclipse 1.8 came out, which
> supports the 1.7 working copy format.

One of the really smart things that the SVN project has done is insulate
the working copy from most of the horrors of line ending differences.
The administrative files appear to either have a strict line ending
definition for all platforms or (more likely) clients are expected to be
flexible regarding line ending handling within the files.  The use of
the svn:eol-style property on source files allows for a great deal of
flexibility regarding management of line endings within the working copy.

Ultimately, any problems boil down to the text editors in use and not
the various SVN clients.  As far as I can see, only the combination of
setting svn:eol-style to native and using a crummy text editor could
expose unexpected problems when mixing Cygwin and Windows SVN clients
within a single working copy.  Those problems would really only be in
the text editor and not SVN however since the text editor could receive
a file with unsupported line endings if the Cygwin client checked the
file out.  Either SVN client would do the right thing with the file upon
commit regardless of the line endings it ended up having after editing.

There can't be very many users out there mixing both Cygwin and Windows
SVN clients with a text editor that completely chokes on Unix line
endings. :-)  I've been really impressed with how gracefully SVN handles
this whole line ending issue.

-Jeremy

* Re: Rolling back to 1.6.x Subversion
@ 2011-11-17 16:10       ` Jon Clugston
From: Jon Clugston @ 2011-11-17 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2011-11-17 15:37     ` Jeremy Bopp
From: Jeremy Bopp @ 2011-11-17 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Repin

@ 2011-11-17 11:12   ` Csaba Raduly
From: Csaba Raduly @ 2011-11-17 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2011-11-17  9:10 ` Andy Koppe
From: Andy Koppe @ 2011-11-17  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 16 November 2011 23:06, Jim Garrison wrote:
> [...]

Andy

* Re: Rolling back to 1.6.x Subversion
@ 2011-11-17  7:50   ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2011-11-17  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremy Bopp, cygwin

@ 2011-11-17  0:53 ` Jeremy Bopp
From: Jeremy Bopp @ 2011-11-17  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Jim Garrison <jim.garrison@troux.com> wrote:

> [...]

Seems that I stepped on some nerves due to my poor choice of wording. Sorry about that.

All I really wanted to know was why it was important to hang back from the latest available version when getting the older one was less than trivial. Not using anything more than the command line for svn (infrequently at that) made me forget how often that project changes formats in the working copies and the ramifications of that behavior.

Thanks for enlightening me. :-)

-Jeremy

* RE: Rolling back to 1.6.x Subversion
@ 2011-11-16 23:06 Jim Garrison