* Re: Portable CygWin version for Windows?
@ 2021-11-14 11:38 Fergus Daly
From: Fergus Daly @ 2021-11-14 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'; +Cc: Fergus Daly

Am 14.11.2021 um 11:32 schrieb Marco Atzeri via Cygwin:
> On 14.11.2021 08:37, Peter Steiner via Cygwin wrote:
>> On webpage
>>
>> https://cygwin.com/
>>
>> I found only a CgyWin Installer to download.
>>
>> I prefer to put CygWin on an USB flash drive and run it on various
>> computers without leaving installation traces.
>>
>> Is there really no portable version to download?
>
> correct. No one should install all the files
>

>> What if I install it once one computer and copy all the files to my
>> USB flash drive?
>> Are there any disadvantages?
>
> The file permissions will be not correct.
Actually, if you format your USB stick to NTFS, this should work. I
remember to have had a mobile cygwin stick around a while ago.

> What you can do is use the USB stick as location for the cache download
> and install from the USB on the other computers.
>

>> Peter
>>

> Regards
> Marco

>> The file permissions will be not correct.
>> Actually, if you format your USB stick to NTFS, this should work. I
>> remember to have had a mobile cygwin stick around a while ago.

Having trouble following the assertions here.
I've had a FAT32 portable USB stick supporting both Cygwin32 and Cygwin64
for, dunno, 20 years or something. I made a new one from scratch last night, actually,
absolutely coincidentally to this post. Whilst not "Full" the installation is way in advance
of "Base". I just run
setup -P <list of packages I want - exactly 50 of them>
at the Windows command prompt, installing to a formatted FAT32 stick, and away I go.
Time after time after time.
Fergus

* Re: Portable CygWin version for Windows?
@ 2021-11-14 12:40 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2021-11-14 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 14.11.2021 12:38, Fergus Daly via Cygwin wrote:
> Am 14.11.2021 um 11:32 schrieb Marco Atzeri via Cygwin:
>> On 14.11.2021 08:37, Peter Steiner via Cygwin wrote:
>>> On webpage
>>>
>>> https://cygwin.com/
>>>
>>> I found only a CgyWin Installer to download.
>>>
>>> I prefer to put CygWin on an USB flash drive and run it on various
>>> computers without leaving installation traces.
>>>
>>> Is there really no portable version to download?
>>
>> correct. No one should install all the files
>>

>>> What if I install it once one computer and copy all the files to my
>>> USB flash drive?
>>> Are there any disadvantages?
>>
>> The file permissions will be not correct.
> Actually, if you format your USB stick to NTFS, this should work. I
> remember to have had a mobile cygwin stick around a while ago.

Not if you use the same USB installation in different computers with
different users.

Also if the User has the same windows name, the IDE on
different computers are different

https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html

>> What you can do is use the USB stick as location for the cache download
>> and install from the USB on the other computers.
>>

> I've had a FAT32 portable USB stick supporting both Cygwin32 and Cygwin64
> for, dunno, 20 years or something. I made a new one from scratch last night, actually,
> absolutely coincidentally to this post. Whilst not "Full" the installation is way in advance
> of "Base". I just run
> setup -P <list of packages I want - exactly 50 of them>
> at the Windows command prompt, installing to a formatted FAT32 stick, and away I go.
> Time after time after time.
> Fergus

Installation for USB is a different thing as no special permissions
are needed by setup to use the cache files.
PS: it is what I was recommending

* Re: Portable CygWin version for Windows?
@ 2021-11-14 22:29       ` Shaddy Baddah
From: Shaddy Baddah @ 2021-11-14 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 15/11/21 3:36 am, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Andrey Repin via Cygwin writes:
>> You will have to format the stick to NTFS, and run rebaseall for each time you
>> insert your stick into a new system, which defeats the very idea of having a
>> "portable Cygwin" - it will always be tied to a specific system.
> It all depends on what you want to do with it and wahtr limitations you
> are able and willing to accept, but those dependencies are what makes it
> hard to have that "portable Cygwin".
>
> And no, you don't need to run rebaseall each time you use the stick on a
> new system, but it may well not work at all for entirely different
> reasons if you chose NTFS (and a host of other problems if you don't and
> go with FAT32).

Further, you will have to be realistic as to which Windows installs
you expect to be able run Cygwin off of the USB stick, on.

Unfortunately, I've observed quite a few corporate Windows installs
disable running executables off of removable media.

I recall being able to defeat that by avoiding running directly from
the Windows shell (explorer.exe), but... your mileage may vary, so to
speak.

--
Regards,
Shaddy Baddah

* Re: Portable CygWin version for Windows?
@ 2021-11-14 16:39   ` Christian Franke
From: Christian Franke @ 2021-11-14 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Peter Steiner via Cygwin wrote:
> On webpage
>
> https://cygwin.com/
>
> I found only a CgyWin Installer to download.

I occasionally use Cygwin installed to NTFS partitions of USB flash
drives for many years now. No problems so far, but the use cases were
typically limited to "rescue" purposes (mintty, dd, ddrescue, fdisk,
hexedit, smartctl, testdisk, ...). BTW: Also works great from the
limited WinPE environment booted from a FAT32 boot partition on same
flash drive.

> I prefer to put CygWin on an USB flash drive and run it on various
> computers without leaving installation traces.

Please be aware that there will be traces on all computers because a
registry value is set during startup of the root cygwin1.dll. The values
appear below one of the following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygwin\Installations
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Cygwin\Installations

A list is included in 'cygcheck -s' output. Alternatively try the
following commands from Cygwin shell:

ls -la /proc/registry??/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Cygwin/Installations
ls -la /proc/registry/HKEY_USERS/*/SOFTWARE/Cygwin/Installations

Regards,
Christian

* Re: Portable CygWin version for Windows?
@ 2021-11-14 16:36     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2021-11-14 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrey Repin via Cygwin writes:
> You will have to format the stick to NTFS, and run rebaseall for each time you
> insert your stick into a new system, which defeats the very idea of having a
> "portable Cygwin" - it will always be tied to a specific system.

It all depends on what you want to do with it and wahtr limitations you
are able and willing to accept, but those dependencies are what makes it
hard to have that "portable Cygwin".

And no, you don't need to run rebaseall each time you use the stick on a
new system, but it may well not work at all for entirely different
reasons if you chose NTFS (and a host of other problems if you don't and
go with FAT32).

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Portable CygWin version for Windows?
@ 2021-11-14 16:10   ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2021-11-14 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Steiner, cygwin

Greetings, Peter Steiner!

> On webpage

> https://cygwin.com/

> I found only a CgyWin Installer to download.

> I prefer to put CygWin on an USB flash drive and run it on various
> computers without leaving installation traces.

You will have to format the stick to NTFS, and run rebaseall for each time you
insert your stick into a new system, which defeats the very idea of having a
"portable Cygwin" - it will always be tied to a specific system.

> Is there really no portable version to download?

> What if I install it once one computer and copy all the files to my USB flash drive?
> Are there any disadvantages?

It may just break at the least predictable moment.
Some tools may freak about permissions being wrong (for those per-user
entries in the /home directory).
Some may simply crash due to changed address layout.
This is simply not feasible, IMO.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Portable CygWin version for Windows?
@ 2021-11-14 11:40       ` Larry W. Virden
From: Larry W. Virden @ 2021-11-14 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Wolff; +Cc: cygwin

https://sites.google.com/site/devinsezer/Home/software/portable-cygwin
Is an older article but discusses it.

@ 2021-11-14 11:15     ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2021-11-14 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2021-11-14 10:32   ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2021-11-14 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 14.11.2021 08:37, Peter Steiner via Cygwin wrote:
> On webpage
>
> https://cygwin.com/
>
> I found only a CgyWin Installer to download.
>
> I prefer to put CygWin on an USB flash drive and run it on various
> computers without leaving installation traces.
>
> Is there really no portable version to download?

correct. No one should install all the files

> What if I install it once one computer and copy all the files to my USB
> flash drive?
> Are there any disadvantages?

The file permissions will be not correct.

What you can do is use the USB stick as location for the cache download
and install from the USB on the other computers.

> Peter

Regards
Marco

* Portable CygWin version for Windows?